The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

y5mgisi 06-07-2015 01:43 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Good fun!

Chaplain 06-07-2015 02:40 AM

Dang...

Gregski 06-07-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7200984)
Dang...

Man I just love your comments, so concise, make me laugh every time!

Gregski 06-07-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7200959)
Good fun!

For real, taking ****ez apart - that I excel at, the putting it back together, not so much.

Gregski 06-07-2015 10:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the twins sun bathing, after taking a good bath in some dish soap, they were preserved because they were covered in grease and sludge

you probably could not see how badly these wheel housings were beat up before I hammered out all the dings and dents, apparently the previous owned used the truck to haul lumber

anywho, can you tell me how to pop out the big slight indentations in the vertical sides, what happens is when I step on the dents they pop out, but as soon as I step off of them they pop back in, it's as if the metal is teasing me

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
since I didn't want to use a replacement wheel housing with the wire harness hole in it, I thought I could save one of mine, however after taking a wire wheel to it, we found lots of swiss cheese

so we'll use the orange ones

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the Greg has no idea how the front end bed panel got rusted here, but there is a matching rusty spot on the back of the cab, so my guess is a wet cat must have gotten stock in there, LOL

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
we deployed a dual attack on the rust on this piece, abrasion and acid

first loosen up and remove as much rust as possible with a wire wheel

then use Phosphoric acid to fight the rust, in this case I had some Metal Prep left over, (it's just diluted Phosphoric acid I bought from POR-15, I won't be buying it agian, since I can get 50 times the amount from Home Depot for $5 bucks)

brush on some acid, let sit, have a beer, watch the rusty spots turn white, then wire wheel them off, and repeat till no more white shows up

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the dance of the wire wheel

went through another cup wire brush, (I need to start buying these in bulk)

flashed 06-07-2015 11:11 PM

Rusty is so very lucky to have you mending things up.

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
kicked the bed floor outside - cause it's not potty tained, LOL

keep in mind this thing is ORANGE, it's not all covered up in rust, just some surface rust, so it's solid otherwise

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7201886)
Rusty is so very lucky to have you mending things up.

thanks, then tell him to stop biting me

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
same deal on the bed floor, wire wheel, then coat in phosphoric acid

I swear I went out and bought the most beat up bed I could find, this thing looks like it was used as a dance floor by $300 lb strippers in iron stiletto heels

try and visualize that I'll wait, JK

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
couple annoyed neighbors and beers later, the top of the bed floor is wire wheeled and bathed in [deluted] phosphoric acid

not my favorite part of the restoration process, but it must be done

flashed 06-07-2015 11:22 PM

I think I will visualize Rusty all nice and pretty instead if you dont mind ,thanks .

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
tomorrow we will change the wire wheel on the angle grinder to a grinding stone and grind down these welds

these are the weld spots where the old bed side walls were attached to the bed floor in the bottom corners of the tailgate

Gregski 06-07-2015 11:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and the other side...

the detail is in the devil

I know the next time I am walking by a restored C10, I will stop, I will look at the truck, I will find the owner, I will gaze down at his hands, seek the scars, then look down at his worn out boots, and just look him in the eye and and give him that nod of sweat, blood, and tears of approval

enaberif 06-08-2015 12:24 AM

For metal that keeps popping when you try to remove the dent the easiest way to fix this is by cutting the dent in half then rewelding it.

It's usually popping because the metal is stretched. The other way you could try is getting it red hot then quenching it quickly to shrink it.

rich weyand 06-08-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7201866)
anywho, can you tell me how to pop out the big slight indentations in the vertical sides, what happens is when I step on the dents they pop out, but as soon as I step off of them they pop back in, it's as if the metal is teasing me

The reason they're popped out (or in, or they pop back and forth) is that piece, the bulge, is bigger than the spot it is in. Basically, denting it stretched the metal in that spot, so now it's too big for the surface it is in. The way to fix this is to heat the bulge with a torch (Bernzomatic would do), then quench it with water. It will shrink down to the size it needs to be and pull flat.

http://cid.vcc.ca/p1-dl/instructions...emo-shrink.htm

rich weyand 06-08-2015 12:29 AM

enaberif and I were typing at the same time. Yeah, don't cut it, at least not as a first try. Heat it and quench it.

Rich84 06-08-2015 12:21 PM

keep in mind this thing is ORANGE, it's not all covered up in rust, just some surface rust, so it's solid otherwise

I sure am glad that you mentioned that the bed was orange..I thought the Gregski had sniffed too much cleaning products.

KQQL IT 06-08-2015 02:39 PM

I have some fairly straight wheel tubs, you could have... Already out and in my way.

greg64 06-08-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich84 (Post 7202382)

I sure am glad that you mentioned that the bed was orange..I thought the Gregski had sniffed too much cleaning products.

LOL :lol:

Gregski 06-08-2015 07:12 PM

105* F outside so The Greg will be taking a day off

enaberif 06-09-2015 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7202793)
105* F outside so The Greg will be taking a day off

Wuss! Grab some beers and get cracking.