The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   FAQ Truck Tech (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Plasti Dipped the '67 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=655958)

ianw31 01-10-2014 03:46 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped the '67

Subscribed! I've been doing a lot of research on dip your car and you tube and can't wait to get a kit for my truck. Very cool to see it on a C-10 looks good!

ahsom79vette 01-10-2014 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here check out this '71 C10 Matte Black.

There's a lot of pics posted on there as dan468 said.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

kelbystanley 01-10-2014 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step'67 (Post 6391446)
Alright, awesome, we have interest. I'll kind of break these into separate posts as they come. To start us off,

Cost and Application

So the benefit, as I mentioned, of this product is cost. I'm going to start off by posting the link to a company's website: https://www.dipyourcar.com/

I would coin these guys with truly turning the product known as Plasti Dip into an automotive goldmine. They, and their forum, are a great resource for all things "Dip". Now I believe that Plasti Dip targets DIY'ers and guys (and gals of course) who like to do things themselves, so they offer their "Pro Car Kit" that comes in a variety of included color's and amounts of each. For a larger vehicle with a standard color (black, red, etc) I would probably look towards their 5 gallon kit. This not only includes the paint, but an airless hvlp sprayer, masking tape, paper, mixing wand, cleaner, basically everything you need to spray a vehicle.

Cost for their largest kit: $435.00 USD, but don't stop reading yet.

That price is truly what grabbed my attention, even if I just wanted to experiment with it. I don't truly know exactly how many gallons of their dip it takes to do a vehicle such as ours since I went a different route, which I will explain in a bit. But for a kit that is supposed to cover a large truck/SUV, I believe that is a good starting point.

Now I did it differently. I wanted something a bit different and that's where Plasti Dip's flexibility comes in. I bought clear Plasti Dip, unthinned (DipYourCar sells it prethinned 50/50 with a thinner mix) from http://www.awarehousefull.com/ and thinned it myself 50/50 with Naptha (bought at Home Depot). I then mixed Antique Silver Metallic pigment into the clear until I reached my desired look (This is where DipYourCar's forum came in). I also bought the sprayer separately. Doing it this way I saved a great deal of money while still ending up with more dip than if I had bought the kit. However, If you aren't feeling that adventurous, their kits are great as well.

As a side note, because the pigment I used was not completely opaque, and I had different shades of contrasting primer on the truck throughout, it took me several more coats and a couple more gallons than if you were to do a standard solid color. Just something to keep in mind if you want a custom metallic color.

Application is similar to standard paint. It can be applied with a normal HVLP, compressor driven gun as well. The key is to lay it on light, for the first couple of layers, then more thick as you go to let it flow and even out. It takes several coats for complete coverage, probably a minimum of 5-6 for a specific reason. The thicker you put it on (within reason), the tougher it is, and the easier it is to peel off in one piece if and when you so choose to.

As a disclaimer, I'm not an expert in this stuff and don't claim to be. But I have found it to be a great product with a great supporting community behind it.

What did you buy from awarehousefull.com? There is a lot to choose from?

nicks diner 01-10-2014 08:08 AM

Got a2011jk and its huge in the jeep clan. personally have some on my rimss to cover up some chrome I don't care for and this is a great product. had it on for over a year and still perfect. And will peal right off if you whant. As far as prep just a clean surface and your good to go.

Step'67 01-10-2014 03:02 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelbystanley (Post 6463138)
What did you buy from awarehousefull.com? There is a lot to choose from?

This is personally what I bought, they also offer discount buying more than one gallon: http://www.awarehousefull.com/rubber...e-your-colors/ This is the same stuff DipYouCar sells, just unthinned.

It really is a great product. Note: I recently got some nasty water spots on the dip from rain that came through and I didn't wash off for some time. These spots seemed to etch themselves into the dip, and no matter what I tried, I could not clean them off. That's when I realized it wasn't actually dirty, rather whatever was in the rain etched into the sheen. The solution: Armor All. A quick coat of Armor All over the entire truck, just like a spray wax on paint, got rid of the marks and brought the gorgeous metallic sheen back. It has since been a couple weeks, and the spots have yet to show once more. (Pardon my iPhone's lack of ability to take good pictures of this paint.)

az's1971C10 01-10-2014 03:55 PM

Hey guys, I haven't done any more Dip on my truck since the tailgate was done. I have decided to sell the 71 and I bought a 72. The 72' is primer gray with a primer white top. I'm considering Dip'n the 72' now, but I have to decide if i'm going to remove the suspension off the 71 and put it on the 72 which needs new tires. Oh and since I live in CA. I will have to have to pick up the Dip in another state or have friend ship it to me.

If I decide to Dip the 72' I will post the pics

Cheers,

rambler 01-10-2014 04:19 PM

subscribed for more pics and info.. nice job guys !

69Rumbler 01-10-2014 05:16 PM

Can you dip a primered truck ? I was going to wrap my truck but they told me it wouldn't work due to it been primered . I thought about dipping it . But I held off caz I want to paint it . I had the money for the paint , but I had to pay to get my trucked fixed lol . So now I has bee pushed off , my truck been primered for a year now .

69Rumbler 01-10-2014 05:26 PM

That's some good info on there

az's1971C10 01-10-2014 09:39 PM

i was told you can wrap a primered truck as long as it was sprayed from a spray gun and not a rattle can. I think as long as the primer is smooth and maybe sprayed with a clear coat, the wrap can be put on over it. This was from a high end shop in the East Bay Area.

btd71 01-10-2014 11:38 PM

i had the wheels done on my 2013 ford focus ST, and that **** chipped and peeled off in no time. they put like 4 coats of matte black and cleared it a couple times as well. i will never use that stuff again on wheels, dont know how long it will last on a body, but as far as wheels go, powdercoating is the only way to fly!!!

Step'67 01-16-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Rumbler (Post 6463988)
Can you dip a primered truck ? I was going to wrap my truck but they told me it wouldn't work due to it been primered . I thought about dipping it . But I held off caz I want to paint it . I had the money for the paint , but I had to pay to get my trucked fixed lol . So now I has bee pushed off , my truck been primered for a year now .

You can absolutely dip a primered truck, mine has a base of primer. The more smooth the primer surface, the more smooth the dip will be once sprayed. I did a test panel covering both some rattlecan primer and a terrible primer job done by the past owner. It covered well, looked good, and peeled off without any damage to the primer surface. The only thing you want to make sure of is that the rattlecan primer has fully dried and gassed off, them you should be good.

OSM 70 C20 01-17-2014 11:37 AM

Subscribed!!!

Tomahawk30 01-17-2014 03:38 PM

Subscribed just to add to the bag of tricks!

bpotter05 01-18-2014 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step'67 (Post 6395514)
just finished helping a friend of mine plan out his old Dodge Sweptline pickup that he is doing in KOI Orange (I'll try and get pics at some point). :lol:

You got pics of the KOI orange?, I've only seen it on small cars not an old truck.

slowcpe 01-19-2014 01:15 PM

I'm torn between this or a "cheap" single stage job on my truck to get me by until I have the time to do the job right. I'm really leaning towards this route due to cost, popularity and less sanding down the road.

I'd be looking at getting close to my factory 514 red but in a matte finish.

Subscribing.

sambudo 01-19-2014 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '69C-10 (Post 6392660)
Looks great! I've done 5-6 sets of wheels but haven't worked up to doing the C-10 yet. Did you do your door jams, etc.?

Tell me on the wheels did you paint the whole wheel? Also rid you clear coat them when finished?

BlacklandCamper 01-19-2014 02:09 PM

I have been planning on dipping my C20 as a stop gap before final body work and paint. I've helped a few friends dip everything from wheels and grilles to entire cars.
Its good stuff, if you do it right.

There are a few kids that come into my store complaining about their results, but after finding out where they went wrong, they have gotten the results they wanted.

It's like anything else, do your homework, take your time. The best thing about it is if your not happy with it, peel it off and start over.

sambudo 01-19-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Step'67 (Post 6475183)
You can absolutely dip a primered truck, mine has a base of primer. The more smooth the primer surface, the more smooth the dip will be once sprayed. I did a test panel covering both some rattlecan primer and a terrible primer job done by the past owner. It covered well, looked good, and peeled off without any damage to the primer surface. The only thing you want to make sure of is that the rattlecan primer has fully dried and gassed off, them you should be good.

Step thanks for taking the time to post this great thread! This is some gr8 information, I've seen the videos before, and looking back I wish user this on my fj 4o. I used rattl can olivevdrab matte. Anyway thanos for sharing your truck looks awesome.

67ChevyRedneck 01-19-2014 06:38 PM

I spray painted and cleared the roof on my 67 in 2007. The rest of the truck is normal single stage paint out of a gun, but I wanted to do the roof but no longer had access to a compressor and gun. It looks like total yellowed out crap.

I'd like to give this a shot on my roof. Where is everyone buying this stuff from and what price should I expect to pay? For those painting entire vehicles, are you spray canning it or shooting it from a gun?

ianw31 01-20-2014 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 6480080)
I spray painted and cleared the roof on my 67 in 2007. The rest of the truck is normal single stage paint out of a gun, but I wanted to do the roof but no longer had access to a compressor and gun. It looks like total yellowed out crap.

I'd like to give this a shot on my roof. Where is everyone buying this stuff from and what price should I expect to pay? For those painting entire vehicles, are you spray canning it or shooting it from a gun?

Check out dipyourcar.com they have many different packages available. I have not done it yet but from reasearch on this site and YouTube the best way to go is to use the sprayer from the dipyourcar site.

Step'67 02-28-2014 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the comments and replies guys, sorry its been a while, crazy how much time college eats up.

In reguards to the question about where to buy it, several posts back I spoke about "awarehousefull" and that you can buy the unthinned dip from them, then thin it yourself. If you are not up to messing with thinning it, definitely DipYourCar.com is the best place to buy it ready to spray.

DipYourCar has also recently teamed up with a powder/pigment company and are selling custom pigments much like what I used on my truck. This vastly opens up the possibilities when it comes to color choice, pearls, finish, etc. They even have chameleon pigment so the color changes based on the angle of viewing (if you're into that).

As BlacklandCamper said, it does take patience. However, the more you practice, the more you take your time with it, the better it will come out, guarenteed (plus its not that hard to begin with). And the best part is, if it turns out odd, or you don't like it. Simply respray or peel it off at any time.

Haggis 05-29-2014 03:38 AM

So I just realized I never posted my finished pictures, so I thought I'd bump this back up and show it off. Also, for full disclosure yes that is a for sale sign in my window, however I don't want this to come off as a for sale post. If the mods have any issue with this I will happily remove these pics and get some new ones without the sign.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.n...12450473_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...00463498_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...25186843_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...77417076_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/...76672312_n.jpg

What I ended up with is a decent 20 foot rattle can paint job.
Pros:
-its relatively cheap
-it holds up well, I have scratched it off using the bed but otherwise it holds up
-repairs are easy, and I can get new paint from my local hardware store
-its temporary, but don't be fooled-its sticks. After a couple days of hardening up its nice and solid

Cons:
-i used rattle cans, so it looks like a rattle can job.
-it does have a slight texture

Would I do it again, no-at least using spray cans. If I treated it more like a real paint job, removed my trim and did more prep, and used a real spray gun then yes. I don't really mind it, this truck was rusty, ratty and it was meant to be a temporary job which is exactly what I got.

Hart_Rod 05-29-2014 09:06 AM

Kewl stuff!

LSUMurse 05-29-2014 10:11 AM

Interesting.

Subscribed.