The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:28 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
alright already lets get to the rebuild process

so here I am using my Polish Press to gently slide the new brass? sleeve bushing thingie in the hole (hammer did not contact the bushing that's what the small wood pieces was for)

the hardest part of this precission process is keeping your thumb out of the way

hatzie 08-21-2016 10:29 AM

How is the ball screw itself? That's where a major portion of the wear seems to take place.

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
ladies I would be lying to you if I told you I counted and knew exactly how many of these bee bees came out of that ball screw

I may have counted 50 and I may have read somewhere that 54 is required, please chime in if you know

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7689560)
How is the ball screw itself? That's where a major portion of the wear seems to take place.

with balls in it ZERO lateral play, I think that = good

harley87ta 08-21-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7689555)
"Eh Good Enuff'

IT'S A TRUCK!!!

When I read this it made me think of the door alignment on your truck. I looked at doors on my 73 and they have the same sagging look to them. Our doors may have been hung by the same person. They said Eh Good Enuff It's a Truck

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7689566)
When I read this it made me think of the door alignment on your truck. I looked at doors on my 73 and they have the same sagging look to them. Our doors may have been hung by the same person. They said Eh Good Enuff It's a Truck

harley check the bottoms of your doors, when I was a camping my truck was a bit on a hill and I was sitting in a camping chair down low enjoying a luke cold beverage if you know what I mean, and I was like are my eyes lying to me or how stiff is this drink cause my door alignment under the truck is horrible, I mean bad, looks like someone side swiped ie T boned my cab, but they didn't the bottom of the doors just hang way out over the rockers, see if yours is the same

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
so she's coming along handsomely, though the supplied new washer for this adjustment bolt (foreground pointed right at you with the flat screw driver tip) did not fit so we went back with the old one as there needs to be a bit of wiggle room play in there I suppose

and we just packed the darn thing with some 30 year old Castrol bearing multipurpose grease we have been trying to get rid of since I was a teenager

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
a couple mandatory before and after shots of this Woolly Mammoth

Gregski 08-21-2016 10:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
well if nothing else you sure do clean these parts pretty well bro

top pic: Razor Back

bottom: Smooooooooth

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just love these before and after shots [oh sorry, millenials translation] pics, I meant pics

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:06 AM

2 Attachment(s)
can we PALEAZE get this box on the truck already

alright alright...

out with the old first

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
by my estimation, assuming the power steering fluid was topped off, lets see carry the one, don't forget the belt, ... the old system weighed slightly under 712 lbs, hee hee

and yes the pitman arm is keyed wrong on the manual steering box in this pic (apparantly there are four positions it can be in - who knew, I just keyed it on the first key I saw thinking it was the only one there)

don't worry that arm came off half a dozen times before I got it aligned proper

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ok so that took me the entire afternoon from 1330 (1:30 PM people) until 1815... no not eight o'clock... 6:15 PM oh why do I even bother impressing you with my military time know how, jk

ok, good job, looks good bro, how does it drive?

oh what's with all these questions? let's not split hairs here

Test Drive Time - TDT

Wide Open 08-21-2016 11:19 AM

Nice work on the box.
Why'd you switch to manual?

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:21 AM

LESSONS LEARNED so far

the broom stick ie the steering column do slide up and down so the manual box bolted right up though its not the exact same length as the power box

I did re use the old rag joint but I plan on buying a new one or getting a universal joint setup, if someone has one to recommend I would really appreciate that (I think someone already did way earlier in the thread but I am too lazy to look inside my own thread)

Power Steering box was about 3.5 turns end to end

Manual Steering box is about 4.0 turns end to end

Pitman arms be different, not so much in length or design but in hole for the splines, I think the manual is a bit smaller hole

Gregski 08-21-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wide Open (Post 7689611)
Nice work on the box.
Why'd you switch to manual?

I'm a minimalist, less is more, cleaner engine bay, one less thing to leak (power steering fluid is nasty and finding an air tight pump is impossible) tired of squeeky belt during tight end to end U turns, maybe 2 more horse power, WANTED BIGGER BICEPTS!!! seriously just wanted to try it, see how it works, I may go back to power steering and just not tell you all, ha ha, I'm a Hot Rodder = mess with things constantly especially specialize in fixing things that are not broken

Wide Open 08-21-2016 12:29 PM

Gotcha

rusty76 08-21-2016 06:51 PM

So how's the darn thing handle/steer now. I'm dying to know. You've answered several questions about swapping to manual now I just need to know your final results youngin.

Chrispbrown36 08-21-2016 07:12 PM

Hey Gregski, remember me talking about that old lady that lives up the road that has the squarebody sitting in her garage? Well I got some details on it from another neighbor....he says that it is a 74 or 75, 3/4 ton, with only about 10,000 miles on it. He said his grandpa and the old ladies dad bought similar trucks at the same time and the old ladies dad pretty much parked his....now I might have to say it with flowers!

Gregski 08-21-2016 08:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7690036)
So how's the darn thing handle/steer now. I'm dying to know. You've answered several questions about swapping to manual now I just need to know your final results youngin.

LOL, First of all let me just say it took sum ballz to pull this off, sorry could't resist, hee hee

OK, after the test drive... Houston... We have a problem.

Apparently 2 is not the middle of 4 according to GM, you see [ahem] "pops" jk the passenger side hits the steer stop and the driver side stops short of it by maybe just under an inch

I think its time to blame the P.O.

Looks like the previous owner replaced the outer tie rod on the driver side only but not on the passenger side

So first this Power Nap aint going to take itself no how, so lemme git that out of the way and then git after it

Report at 11

Hewfil1 08-21-2016 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7690133)
LOL, First of all let me just say it took sum ballz to pull this off, sorry could't resist, hee hee

OK, after the test drive... Houston... We have a problem.

Apparently 2 is not the middle of 4 according to GM, you see [ahem] "pops" jk the passenger side hits the steer stop and the driver side stops short of it by maybe just under an inch

I think its time to blame the P.O.

Looks like the previous owner replaced the outer tie rod on the driver side only but not on the passenger side

So first this Power Nap aint going to take itself no how, so lemme git that out of the way and then git after it

Report at 11

Luck be with you Gregski!

Gregski 08-22-2016 12:15 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewfil1 (Post 7690206)
Luck be with you Gregski!

thank you, Fix This I Must

so Rule #7 clearly states if you don't know what you is a doin' than Stare 'N Compare bro

and so we is going to compare twisty turney thing on the driver side to the twisty turney thing on the passenger side

first after wire wheelin' them a bit we can actually see they are a slotted, cool we can see how much threads are in them and how far apart

Gregski 08-22-2016 12:22 AM

well after a couple hours and some fine "adjustments" and I use that term loosely, ha ha I thought I had the problem resolved both wheels were slightly toed in and each side went to the side an equal distance stopping just before the steer stop on either side - NICE

well but a test drive proved otherwise, the truck drove ok, but it felt like I could make tighter turns to the right than to the left

so... the Greg found me a nice empty parking lot, 57 feet wide with concrete edges on either side so you could not go out of bounce and cheat sort of speak

then I proceeded to make a right hand turn with the wheel turned as tight to the right as possible and I just barely made a couple perfect circles to the right within the confines of that parking lot

ok, awesome now lets try the other way, so I turned the wheel 4 turns to the left, ie all the way and gave it a shot, low and behold I could not fit inside that parking lot

in other words I am unable to make a U turn within 57 feet

help!

harley87ta 08-22-2016 01:19 AM

Could your pitman arm not be clocked in the right position? I think they could be installed in different postions. Not sure if that could cause your issue though

Gregski 08-22-2016 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harley87ta (Post 7690380)
Could your pitman arm not be clocked in the right position? I think they could be installed in different postions. Not sure if that could cause your issue though

this one looks like it can be clocked in 4 different positions but the one that it is in is the only one that reaches the linkage and the steering box

thanks for trying to help, I wish I baselined this with my old power steering box still on, but things seemed fine so I had no idea what problems I would have with the manual box

I bought the manual box with the pitman arm to avoid these types of headaches but I still ran into issues

I think its a tie rod linkage issues, but I am not sure