The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 05-12-2016 11:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)

f i n a l l y

Gregski 05-12-2016 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7590999)
How come you didn't just come off the very front of the intake and into the pump. That's where the bypass hose was on our work truck. Just curious. Looks great either way. The engine bay looks great

Thanks, and I thought I did, are you looking at the last picture? Was the work truck a big block by any chance, they have different intake manifolds I recon.

rusty76 05-13-2016 07:00 AM

It was a big block but I've noticed on your intake there is one plug. One that is directly over the water pump bypass connection. I just wondered if you could've used that spot or not. I'll see if I can get you a pic of the one on the truck at work. I replaced that hose a few years ago and it was a little bit of a bear. But we got it at autozone or advance auto one of those two. They're a tight bend but doable. I was just curious. Truck is looking great all together.!

rusty76 05-13-2016 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a shot of what I was talking about. You can kind of see what I was talking about. Sorry about the pic. Not the greatest. But it goes from the water pump to intake. Piece of hose is four or five inches long. Maybe 1/2 inch heater hose I guess.

rich weyand 05-14-2016 02:51 AM

4000th post! 4000th post!

Truck looks really good, Gregski. Congratulations on getting it all back together.

Gregski 05-14-2016 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7592546)
100 pages...

huh? do you mean on this thread? cause I show 160? are our view preferences set different?

Gregski 05-14-2016 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7592636)
4000th post! 4000th post!

Truck looks really good, Gregski. Congratulations on getting it all back together.

Yup, you nailed it, and thank you very much, it took some doing but you all know that.

hatzie 05-14-2016 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7591091)
remember how the Greg deleted the High Beam / Low Beam switch off the floor, well now no headligths work at all, IMAGINE THAT?

so next we had to install a loopback wire to get the lowbeams to come on, no that's not a fuse in the wire, we had to use a butt connector on two wires with blade connectors already on them since we did not have any spare blade connectors to build a new wire, yes we are poor right now

hey it's a temporary permanent solution, you know what I'm sayin' Vern?

If the floor button works on Low beam you could just plug it in and tie it up out of sight.

Gregski 05-14-2016 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7592784)
If the floor button works on Low beam you could just plug it in and tie it up out of sight.

yeah it did, and I thought about doing that but it's too bulky and the last thing I need is that thing getting stuck under the throttle pedal or the brake pedal.

Gregski 05-17-2016 10:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
... a little air cleaner nonsensical progression

Gregski 05-17-2016 11:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
gentlemen now that I have rebuilt the top end, got the Vortec heads on there, and the whole engine is looking cleaner, I find myself paying more attention to things and going through and making adjustments and fine tuning things

One question I have is regarding the Holley 4160 carburetor throttle cable linkage, I have noticed that in its current position I am not opening up the throttle plates all the way seems like I can go about an inch more, so should I move the linkage to the round hole towards the front of the carb, see pic

I think Holley sales a special adapter/stud to go in that hole to move the cable there

Jeramy 05-17-2016 07:14 PM

mr gasket part# 6026. its how we have my dads 57 belair ran,

2 piece bushing. Flat one goes in from the back side and your stud runs through it to hold 2 halves together
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...age/parts/6026

Gregski 05-17-2016 11:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7596482)
mr gasket part# 6026. its how we have my dads 57 belair ran,

2 piece bushing. Flat one goes in from the back side and your stud runs through it to hold 2 halves together

thanks also found this one

Jeramy 05-17-2016 11:53 PM

yep all you really need is the washer parts

Wgesnerjr 05-20-2016 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7591360)
let me show you the best way to clean your old rusty bolts...

... BUY NEW ONES!

be nice to me and I may even tell you my supplier

I used to clean them, I used to wire wheel them and sometimes they even cleaned up pretty good, but then what do you do with them how do you prevent them from rusting up again, how do you coat them, that silly Eastwood black coating kit is a joke and a total waste of money, so these are so cheap when you buy them in bulk and all the threads are perfect, it's becoming a no brainer

Gregski,
I am interested in cleaning my truck's bolts the same way you have discovered. Would you mind sharing your vendor? Ace hardware is getting expensive.
Thanks for all your documentation. Reading Your thread has become my morning ritual.
Carry on McDuff!

RodsGreen10 05-20-2016 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr (Post 7598984)
Gregski,
I am interested in cleaning my truck's bolts the same way you have discovered. Would you mind sharing your vendor? Ace hardware is getting expensive.
Thanks for all your documentation. Reading Your thread has become my morning ritual.
Carry on McDuff!

Naval Jelly works for dissolving rust from bolts. It is an alternative vs buying all new. Give it a try. Or just buy Phosphoric acid. The Jelly worked great on my door jam switches.

hatzie 05-20-2016 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7592787)
yeah it did, and I thought about doing that but it's too bulky and the last thing I need is that thing getting stuck under the throttle pedal or the brake pedal.

Just leave it on the floor. It's up in the corner under the E-Brake pedal. No law says you have to use it.

Gregski 05-22-2016 04:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fast Idle Adjustment

2 Attachment(s)
decided to mess with the fast idle as it was reving as high as 2600 upon the cold start procedure

here its shown at 2200

Gregski 05-22-2016 08:52 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Fast Idle Adjustment

1 Attachment(s)
basically you are supposed to turn that screw counter clockwise to bring the RPMs down, well that's all well and good except the screw is in there all upside down and who knows what clockwise or anti clockwise be, so basically just loosening it or unscrewing it makes the RPMs go down and screwing it in makes them go up, (in theory)

you see I spent a few days trying to tame this little rascal, see the most you can turn that screw is half a turn at a time cause the carburetor and such is in the way, so what The Greg would do is use a 1/4" box wrench and give it a 1/2 turn (as much as possible) then start the car and see where she idles, then the next day, (after a proper cooldown of the enjin) I would turn her another 1/2 turn and see where she RPMs

and after playing that silly gave for a day or three, I said enuff is enuff and I unscrewed that darn screw flat all the way as far as it would go without falling out, I had to see where it would RPM with it all the way out, you know the extremes from one end to the other, and I gotta tell you that even all the way out she still RPMs at above 1200, see there the pic

well I wouldn't be writing about this if it don't surprise me none you see, cause now I need to turn the screw back in some to get that 1500 sweet spot, but it aint all as easy as them marketing guys make it out to be, especially for such a small tiny little screw

hatzie 05-23-2016 06:32 AM

1200 is a little low. I usually set Fast Idle at 1500-1800 RPM and Curb Idle at 700-800.

You should be able to swing the fast idle cam over the adjustment screw and set it even after she warms up.

Gregski 05-24-2016 04:55 PM

so from all the way out to half a turn in I think I dialed in my Fast Idle to around 1500 RPM

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen I only know two things for sure about these old trucks:

1. They a leak.

2. If they don't a leak, they is out of fluids!

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
time to get this situation rectofied real quick

now some of youz might ask now Greg why didn't you replace that output shaft seal when you had the transmission out and on the workbench, and to you I say... [who made you guys the efficiency police, lol, ha ha] it's so much more fun doing it on the truck, well under the truck well under the now lowered truck

first we go out and git the a proper single purpose seal puller "guaranteed not to mangle the old seal as you pull it" we'll see about that

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
after raising the rear end of the truck sky high to prevent any seapage, we snuck up on the seal and in no time she was out

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
not exactly mangle free but we don't care it's gettin replaced anyway, plus its been in there for over 30 years

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
four dollars and thirty one cents later we were the proud owners of a brand new replacement seal part number 15041 made in Mexico

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
hold still for a comparison shot, old part number 15404

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
of note is this keep things tighty thighty spring that hides inside the metal housing and clasps the rubber seal tight, present on both seals the old one and the new one, I yanked it off the old one to show you all

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
now to the untrained eye this may look like a used clutch fork and release bearing...

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
but a Certified SemiPro Shade Tree Technician CSPSTT knows exactly where we are going with this

yeah it's the perfect output shaft seal pressure inner thingie tool

Gregski 05-24-2016 05:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and in what seemed like no time at all, the much lesser known Seal Team 5 had the new output shaft seal pressed in and ready for action

test drive done, and Leakage Report at 11

flashed 05-24-2016 05:51 PM

Now we have been schooled by the Greg ,good deal .But Chevy's still seem to find a place to leak just to give us something to do.

enaberif 05-24-2016 11:39 PM

Chevy's don't leak .. They just mark their territory.

rich weyand 05-24-2016 11:47 PM

Chevy's don't lose oil. You always know exactly where it is.

MikeB 05-25-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7595983)
One question I have is regarding the Holley 4160 carburetor throttle cable linkage, I have noticed that in its current position I am not opening up the throttle plates all the way seems like I can go about an inch more, so should I move the linkage to the round hole towards the front of the carb, see pic

I think Holley sales a special adapter/stud to go in that hole to move the cable there

I've always used the location in your picture halfway between the red circle and red arrow, where some type of connector is installed.

But if that's a no-go, then here's what you're looking for:

https://rspimages.holley.com/6026.jpg?width=583

You will also need a longer ball stud with 1/4" threads. One in this kit should work.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...ies/parts/20-2

https://rspimages.holley.com/20-2.jpg?width=583

MikeB 05-25-2016 08:14 AM

Whoops, I was wrong about the hole I've used. My 6-cyl throttle cable wasn't long enough, so I used a Lokar cable and bracket that I had in the shop. Lucky I wasn't able to sell it at a swap meet!

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL38.../412532665.jpg

Hewfil1 05-25-2016 10:27 AM

Every time I see the stance on this truck I break inside a little out of it's beauty. Then I remember you want to lower it because it's not a 4x4, and find myself cringing. But to each their own, and as always an amazing thread.

P.S. At least she's not slammed.
:metal:

Gregski 05-26-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hewfil1 (Post 7604680)
Every time I see the stance on this truck I break inside a little out of it's beauty. Then I remember you want to lower it because it's not a 4x4, and find myself cringing.

fear not it's already been lowered, so you may be liking it after I already lowered it, LOL

Gregski 05-26-2016 12:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hey bro how did that output shaft seal repair turn out? did it stop the leak man?

tough brake bro, tough brake!

Gregski 05-26-2016 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
well the good news is the new output shaft seal area be dry as a bone

another job that needed not be doin' done right! know what I'm a sayin' folks? ha ha