The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   47-55.1 My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=827687)

Nima 02-04-2022 01:07 AM

Re: My 53 GMC 3/4 ton project

1 Attachment(s)
I used the same steering linkage which I got with the electric box. I have a little interference with the access to the firewall which I believe will be okay when I finalize the install under the dash. If it doesn't, I have to enlarge the hole:

dsraven 02-04-2022 01:09 AM

Nice, now, what is going on with that brake pedal, haha.

Nima 02-04-2022 01:32 AM

It got drunk! LOL :)

Father&son56project 02-04-2022 08:48 AM

Awesome detailed description and pics of that electric steering conversion (as well as everything else you have done). I am having a blast watching you problem solve your way through this build!

8man 02-04-2022 09:26 AM

Fantastic! Well done.

Nima 02-04-2022 11:41 AM

Thank you for the comments.
It is fun to mess around with old and new parts and it is satisfying when it comes together. I get a kick out of recycling parts from junkyard!

Jason 56 02-11-2022 10:43 AM

Just finished reading through you build. I like the steering solution you are using. You are making great progress. I’ll be following!

Nima 02-12-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason 56 (Post 9033266)
Just finished reading through you build. I like the steering solution you are using. You are making great progress. I’ll be following!

Thanks.

Nima 02-12-2022 12:18 AM

4 Attachment(s)
So, I took the eclectic steering off to do some final adjustment to the steering shaft adjustment and also, I wanted to finalize the mounting hardware under the dash. I was not very satisfied with 5/16 threaded rod, so I ended up with a 5/16 rod which fits very snuggly into the steering box mounting hole and I just threaded the two ends of it. Finally, I painted the steering and mounting bracket:

Nima 02-12-2022 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Moving on to fuel tank. This is a universal fuel tank from Tanksinc. It has the option of the either side or top fill. I am going with the side fill knowing (based on what I have read, please correct me if I am wrong) that I may have to raise the bed floor a little. The rear crossmember was in the way and I didn't know other tanks options such as Mustangs or Camaros would fit given the fact my truck frame is a 3/4 ton. I moved the stock cross member to the rear and then I made a new one for the front of the tank:

Nima 02-12-2022 12:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So, it ended up being a beautiful day in NW and I couldn't stay in any longer. I took one of my favorites out for a drive :)
I am more of the 4 door guy!

6DoF 02-14-2022 09:26 AM

more doors is like more HP right?

will the steering assist be adjustable with that setup?

Nima 02-15-2022 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6DoF (Post 9034609)
more doors is like more HP right?

will the steering assist be adjustable with that setup?

That is the plan.
Yes, the steering has a manually adjustable knob which I have to mount somewhere.

Nima 02-15-2022 11:25 AM

5 Attachment(s)
While waiting for some small parts to arrive, I am jumped around and worked on the seat brackets. The seats are from a 2001 Tahoe. They are thicker (bulkier) than I would like but they are very comfortable for me (I have similar ones in my 2005 truck) and also fully powered including heat! Besides, paying only $50 for them, made them more attractive! Of course I have to either get a set of cover for them or just rebuild them. I also don't know if I should connect the under the cab plates to the frame or not for added security. I would be concern about vibration transfer to the cab?!

Father&son56project 02-15-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nima (Post 9035181)
That is the plan.
Yes, the steering has a manually adjustable knob which I have to mount somewhere.

I'm confused! You used a stock electric steering setup from a junkyard, but you are mounting an adjustable knob. Did that stock steering setup have an adjustment knob, or is it some aftermarket gizmo you are adding? I ask because I love what you have done and will likely do it on my next build.

Thanks!

Nima 02-15-2022 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Father&son56project (Post 9035199)
I'm confused! You used a stock electric steering setup from a junkyard, but you are mounting an adjustable knob. Did that stock steering setup have an adjustment knob, or is it some aftermarket gizmo you are adding? I ask because I love what you have done and will likely do it on my next build.

Thanks!

Stock electric steering boxes adjust the steering assist based on the load (torque) applied in regard to the speed, tires and etc. This adjustment are done through the car's main ECU. Some Asian cars manufacturer s'(Toyota, Nissan and some Hyundai that I know) electric steering boxes can go to a default mode and apply some steering assist if they don't receive any signal from ECU while American car versions (Saturn or chevy Equinox that I am using) do not have a default mode which means if they don't receive the signal from ECU, they don't provide any steering assist. To overcome this issue, there are few companies on Ebay who sell some standalone modules which can send the signal to activate the steering assist but, since there is no ECU involved the steering assist will be controlled by standalone knob. I chose to go with Saturn/Equinox version since I felt they came out of an SUV which hopefully makes them a little stronger for a truck use rather than the ones come out of a Toyota Prius. Besides, me using big tires and wheels, I wanted to be able to adjust the amount of the steering assist to my liking rather than just relying on a default mode.

Father&son56project 02-15-2022 02:05 PM

Thanks! It makes perfect sense to me now. It will be interesting to see what you think of it once you have some time on the road. Keep up the great work (and the amazing pics and explanations).

Nima 02-15-2022 11:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Moving along.
I started working on brake lines and fuel system but first I needed a bracket for the proportioning valve. I titled the valve a little to avoid inner fender interference:

Nima 02-15-2022 11:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Now, when I put the inner fender on to mockup things, I came across these two questions which I would appreciate help with the answers (of course if I had an assembly manual ...):
Does the inner fender lip line up with the body inner cowl panel (the arrows in the first picture? And also, I don't remember when I did the disassembly, if the inner fender was attached to the firewall or if there was another panel (the second and 3rd pictures)?

edgeleycanuck 02-15-2022 11:32 PM

I think if you rummage through your parts you'll find a part that fits between the inner fender and the firewall, light gauge metal. I think 3 bolt holes into firewall and 2 or 3 bolt holes( or maybe captured nuts) to fasten to inner fender. Sort of a square Z in shape about 10 inches long maybe...
When you find that peice you'll see how everything lines up

Nima 02-15-2022 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeleycanuck (Post 9035433)
I think if you rummage through your parts you'll find a part that fits between the inner fender and the firewall, light gauge metal. I think 3 bolt holes into firewall and 2 or 3 bolt holes( or maybe captured nuts) to fasten to inner fender. Sort of a square Z in shape about 10 inches long maybe...
When you find that peice you'll see how everything lines up

Okay, thanks. I have to look around better! Everything is at exploded stage now. A picture would be a great help if anybody has one.

NorCalGal 02-17-2022 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It would be #3 in this diagram

dsraven 02-17-2022 09:40 AM

good info on how the electric steering works and the work around for making it work without a stock vehicle's modules. just curious, is there a fine tuner to get the steering wheel centered or is that an alignment issue afterwards?

Nima 02-17-2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NorCalGal (Post 9035969)
It would be #3 in this diagram

Thank you NorCalGal. Very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsraven (Post 9036022)
good info on how the electric steering works and the work around for making it work without a stock vehicle's modules. just curious, is there a fine tuner to get the steering wheel centered or is that an alignment issue afterwards?

There is some process which ofcourse I don't remember now (I don't this is just me getting old or something else)! I have the information buried somewhere! When I get to the wiring and start up I will post an update then.

Nima 03-02-2022 01:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So, I have been waiting for some small parts to arrive. Meanwhile, I got my new wheels and tires put together: