The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

68Timber 01-18-2016 06:33 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Those vent holes would make good storage pockets. Wonder what late model brand has some that would fit, something that you could find in a junkyard?

lkfldredneck 01-19-2016 07:21 PM

Holy Shiyat Greg. Good work. its taken me about 4 days on/off trying to read all of this. today i got off work being too cold out to work (Canadian Standards) so i bunkered down and read the last 50 pages of this. Gotta say, you've brought a truck up from the ground in every way possible. wish i had the time to work on something like you did but that sadly doesnt happen in canada working outside through the winter. Good luck with the project, i will definitely be reading!

Gregski 01-19-2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkfldredneck (Post 7453797)
Holy Shiyat Greg. Good work. its taken me about 4 days on/off trying to read all of this. today i got off work being too cold out to work (Canadian Standards) so i bunkered down and read the last 50 pages of this. Gotta say, you've brought a truck up from the ground in every way possible.

Thank you very much aye, I hope you found it a bit entertaining and a bit informative. My wife's family hails from Vancouver - most beautiful city I've ever visited by the way!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkfldredneck (Post 7453797)
wish i had the time to work on something like you did but that sadly doesnt happen in canada working outside through the winter. Good luck with the project, i will definitely be reading!

there is still more work to do, I hope to have it done by the end of this year, famous last words, since that's what I said last year, ha ha

just want you all to know that I aint got that much free time on my hands, I literally steal time away from other events or squeeze in time in between other things, I work full time, like you all, I have a family, so the point is, do what you love, find the time, there will never be the right time for it, just do a little at a time, and do the best you can

the garage will never be clean and organized the way you like it (I'm looking at you camping gear, kids bikes, and every ball imaginable), you will never have all the proper tools, but that's what makes it cool, just go for it

daddyjeep 01-19-2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7453838)
just want you all to know that I aint got that much free time on my hands, I literally steal time away from other events or squeeze in time in between other things, I work full time, like you all, I have a family, so the point is, do what you love, find the time, there will never be the right time for it, just do a little at a time, and do the best you can

the garage will never be clean and organized the way you like it (I'm looking at you camping gear, kids bikes, and every ball imaginable), you will never have all the proper tools, but that's what makes it cool, just go for it

We'll said Greg, that is exactly what a lot of us have to juggle.

lkfldredneck 01-19-2016 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7453838)
Thank you very much aye, I hope you found it a bit entertaining and a bit informative. My wife's family hails from Vancouver - most beautiful city I've ever visited by the way!

there is still more work to do, I hope to have it done by the end of this year, famous last words, since that's what I said last year, ha ha

I wish i was in British Columbia, Ontario fvckin sucks! E-test every 2 years, new safety standards in July, its getting stupid here. Not to mention The tons of salt they pound to the road. my current daily driver (96 F**D powerstroke) bleeped so i dont get thrown off here :lol: was rust free when i bought it in november 2014, now it looks like it went through a salt bath with bare metal.. But anywho, Hopefully getting my project soon and getting some slow progress done to it. 78 chevy k10 4 speed. hope to have it done by summer! If the girlfriend lets me haha my attention to detail comes close to yours but if it isnt broke it doesnt need to be fixed. cause ill end up breaking it if i try :lol:

Gregski 01-21-2016 08:47 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Mirror Mirror On The Floor
How Will You Look On My Door

Gregski 01-21-2016 08:52 PM

so I returned the K-Source Car Mirror (pronounced Too Small) and bought two Truck Mirrors (pronounced Big Ones) site unseen

The new mirrors are well ahem bigger, I like them, but they do have that certain aftermarket je ne sais quoi about them, you know, cheap, light, flimzy, but we don't care about that (yet) they look good

now having played the mirror replacement game in the past with my '97 Tahoe (R.I.P. SUV) having chosen to replace with aftermarket rather than OEM, I know that a mirror is not fully tested until you have driven (at speed mind you) with said mirror or mirrors

when you drive with them you will look for two things:

1. The Wigglebility Factor - you want this as close to zero as possible

2. No Whistlin' Dixie - that's right some aftermarket mirrors tend to whislte or make noise, you don't want that either, or maybe you do, I'm just sayin'

~ This is me three years in the future (9/22/2018) giving you an update, don't buy these mirrors, they are plastic garbage and they literally fell off on Father's Day while driving home, one on a street the other on the freeway when I pasded a Grayhound bus, lol, these are cheap plastic garbage that vibrated so bad you could hardly see anything out of them in the first place, save your money! ~

Gregski 01-21-2016 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a little shot of them holding hands side by side for sizeability comparison

Gregski 01-21-2016 08:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a huge plus of these handsum devils is the fact that we get to use the stock original holes and we need not drill new ones

so lets take a look at how they mounted

I dunno man, I like 'em best, whacha all think?

oh yeah, they only set me back $48 bucks for the pair

flashed 01-21-2016 09:54 PM

I did not think I would like them when I first saw them but installed they look great . What are we doing next ?

Jeramy 01-21-2016 10:08 PM

not bad looking at all

68Timber 01-21-2016 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gotta ask, factory painted dumbo's in black not an option?

Gregski 01-22-2016 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7456402)
I did not think I would like them when I first saw them but installed they look great.

Thanks, my thoughts exactly, when I compared them side by side I thought oh my the new one is so much bigger, it will look silly, but then it looks fine on the truck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 7456402)
What are we doing next ?

Probbly the other side, you can't rush these things you know, lol

Gregski 01-22-2016 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7456419)
not bad looking at all

Thanks Jeramy

Gregski 01-22-2016 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRUISER (Post 7456452)
Gotta ask, factory painted dumbo's in black not an option?

John those look really smart. For some reason I thought the dumbos stick out like three feet so I rulled them out. Are you saying you painted over chrome, I never had much luck with that, it would eventually peel off.

green72s 01-22-2016 02:30 AM

They look nice Gregski, and I'll bet you can actually see out of them. Unlike the factory sport mirrors that you had installed and that are on my '79.

D13 01-22-2016 07:27 AM

Dumbos come from factory in painted. I have a set in white.
Also, IIRC, the dumbos are stainless not chrome. Scuff and shoot!

68Timber 01-22-2016 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7456638)
John those look really smart. For some reason I thought the dumbos stick out like three feet so I rulled them out. Are you saying you painted over chrome, I never had much luck with that, it would eventually peel off.

Thanks. Mine came on the truck painted green. You don't see them much anymore but the "base-base" trucks used to come with the dumbo mirrors painted white. One of mine was dented, I got a used one from a member here. While they're not common, they're still out there. Just not popular by any stretch.

Rich84 01-22-2016 10:18 AM

Funny how those of us with the Dumbos want the sport mirrors and those with the sport mirrors want the Dumbos..

68post 01-22-2016 10:32 AM

I like my mirrors BIG , the 3 point mount "west coast style" ones are fine with me !
of course those aren't found on a regular pickup - but box trucks and flatbeds, ( or a truck towing anything), need them.
"Dumbo's" are as small as I need.

The sport mirrors look like car mirrors to me , and kind of out of place.

rusty76 01-22-2016 11:29 AM

It's funny it never bothered me with my sport mirrors while driving my truck for years. Then when I got my 87 the dumbo mirrors were great. Never knew what I was missing. Or didn't see.

68Timber 01-22-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7456842)
It's funny it never bothered me with my sport mirrors while driving my truck for years. Then when I got my 87 the dumbo mirrors were great. Never knew what I was missing. Or didn't see.

I'm going to keep them on my 79 2wd, but only because they look sporty. As a mirror they're next to useless. The dumbos work great.

Gregski 01-22-2016 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7456724)
This thread never fails to inform and entertain.

Thanks Chap, I like everyones input, that's how you play the game!

Gregski 01-22-2016 08:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
after the second goldfish I mean mirror acclamaited to it's new surroundings it was time to installize it

but first, could someone comment on this stock chrome mirror base, did they come with those two screw holes (the other side does not have them) or was this some sort of [ahem] customization attempt by the previous owner?

Gregski 01-22-2016 08:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
my buddy Pontiac Mike wanted to see them in a full frontal, so here they are in stereo or as they say back in the day high fidelity - ha ha

Note: nice car in background not mine, not sure if it is a Merc or not, but still way too nice for this poor chap