The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Tools, Shops and Shop Safety (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   home made car dollies. (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=506123)

riz 01-29-2012 03:40 PM

home made car dollies.

lets see pics of the home made car dollies you have built. I'm thinking of making some to move my K5 around the garage easier while it's not running. As much detail as youi can give would be great.

RIZ :metal:

Maxxd07 01-29-2012 04:12 PM

Re: home made car dollies.

I was thinking about making some at one time until I was in Northern Tool and they had a sale on them, $140+change for 4 of them. I knew I wouldnt be able to build them cheaper than that (including my time) so I bought them. I wouldnt use them to roll a fully dressed cclb with a big block or diesel around but for what I need they are great. Just my $0.02.

J Knight 01-29-2012 05:56 PM

I bought some from harbor freight for $100. Worked great as long as the motor and tranny were out, they don't have any ball bearings on the wheels and don't roll at all with the extra weight. If you build some be sure to get wheels with ball bearings in them. I think lmc has some for $175.
Posted via Mobile Device

piecesparts 01-30-2012 06:20 PM

I have some from Harbor freight and they roll OK with the extra weight of an engine and tranny. Of course I may have more weight to apply to the process than you do.

Chris4x4Gill2 01-30-2012 06:23 PM

HF sells two kinds, one is fairly light duty, the others are made out of angle iron with bearings in the wheels. I have the better ones and can roll around my complete truck, but the floor had better be clean as whistle.

LEEVON 01-30-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4x4Gill2 (Post 5156054)
HF sells two kinds, one is fairly light duty, the others are made out of angle iron with bearings in the wheels. I have the better ones and can roll around my complete truck, but the floor had better be clean as whistle.

x2 on the clean floor. it takes all I have (6'-3", 300lbs) to move my truck on a spotless floor with the "good" HF dollies so whatever you do don't skimp on the casters. Forget about rolling over the lip at the door or if you don't have goot footing. They ARE handy when needed though, currently under my '50 so I can slide over to my wife's parking space when working on it for extra room.

Restrorob 01-30-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by riz (Post 5153508)
As much detail as youi can give would be great.

It cost me 25 bux for four small cheesy (china) casters to put under the work stool I built, Wouldn't want to think of buying 16 nice heavy duty ones to roll a vehicle on..... Likely better off buying a set of dollies.

k1rodeoboater 03-14-2012 11:43 PM

i used a set of mini movers dollies from harbor freight on my 66. Worked fine so long as the wheels were facing the correct way. It held the weight of my truck fine.

ETsC10 03-18-2012 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEEVON (Post 5156060)
x2 on the clean floor. it takes all I have (6'-3", 300lbs) to move my truck on a spotless floor with the "good" HF dollies so whatever you do don't skimp on the casters. Forget about rolling over the lip at the door or if you don't have goot footing. They ARE handy when needed though, currently under my '50 so I can slide over to my wife's parking space when working on it for extra room.

X3 and learned how clean the floor should have been :haha: Seriously. Paid $120 (2 sets) w/ coupon.
The design wouldn't be bad with better wheels & re-enforcement. Have the cheap HF ones, too...used as 'misc' dollies.