The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-09-2015 08:04 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7082720)
Don't do roll pan. Get a nice sport chrome bumper will look so much better.

Sorry The Greg respects chrome for it's durability but don't like it, too much bling, now black chrome ... pronounced "EXPENSIVE" and that I can dance to!

enaberif 03-09-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7083051)
Good point, we're running this split down the middle Holley approved spacer gasket, it is as you describe a 1/4" thick.

I am pretty sure you've discussed your carb/intake setup but could you refresh my memory of why you are using that spacer? Are you using a spreadbore intake?

Gregski 03-09-2015 08:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Fuel Problem - Idea

On February 9th I installed that inline fuel filter right in front of the carb and we all saw that the rubber hose 90* elbow was getting a bit squished, I am wondering if that has something to do with it, I am considering reversing this "upgrade" ie deleting the glass inline fuel filter in front of the carb, especially since I installed a plastic one now before the fuel pump

so going from this back to this... (it's just a thought, since I don't recall a problem back then)

Gregski 03-09-2015 08:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7083075)
I am pretty sure you've discussed your carb/intake setup but could you refresh my memory of why you are using that spacer? Are you using a spreadbore intake?

Dope, I meant to say square bore, looks like I found a pic of the spacer / gasket on it as well

enaberif 03-09-2015 09:13 PM

Yeah you have the spacer so I'd definitely be looking towards fuel delivery next.

rusty76 03-10-2015 05:55 PM

Take the filter out and try it out. Can't hurt. But if you have fuel in float bowls and in the filter and doesn't start there must be something to it. If you are having to hold your foot to the floor to start it then is it flooding out? Do you smell gas when you try to start it? I have no idea really but if we have fuel, air and spark then it should run right? But here again I guarantee it will be something simple. Let's get this problem solved fellas.

y5mgisi 03-10-2015 07:57 PM

Foot to the floor start is typically a sign of flooding. I think you are on track tho to try running without the filter for a day and see if that resolves the issue

Chaplain 03-10-2015 10:49 PM

Hmm...the filter theory is very interesting.

Chaplain 03-11-2015 11:01 AM

Where is The Greg?

Gregski 03-11-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7085464)
Where is The Greg?

The Greg is suffering from a bad case of Hang-Over-Fenderitus (i.e. back strain) so he is trying really hard to stay away from Rusty for a day or two.

Chaplain 03-11-2015 11:49 AM

I get it. I mean I got it back in January when I had a fight with a frame and a pair of leaf springs.

Gregski 03-11-2015 08:03 PM

This is a live update from the field... here is our field correspondent The Greg

Thank you Ron... yes here I am with Rusty at the scene of the crime. We have replaced the glass inline fuel filter right in front of the carb and made it here without the truck wanting to stall at the stop signs or quit running while parked

we've been idling here as I type this for about 5 minutes (yes I am a slow one finger Blackberrian, non of that dual teenage thumb action for me)

I am being told we are about to shut her off... Him I'm sorry... apparently Rusty is a he

more as the news develops

now back to you in the studios

Gregski 03-11-2015 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am being told we have a visual of that replacement fuel line...

Gregski 03-11-2015 08:44 PM

FUEL PROBLEM - GOOD NEWS!

It appears as though eliminating the glass fuel filter has fixed the problem, but it still may be too early to call it a permanent fix.

The truck started, on the second try but it started.

Drove it around some more and shut it off, waited about 10 minutes and it also started, again on the second try.

The plan is to drive it in to work tomorrow (10 miles), shut it off wait 10 minutes and see if it will start.

Maybe test it at lunch time, and then again when I come home from work.

If we really want to be geeky we can put the old line with the inline fuel filter back on and in theory the problem should come back, don't know if it's worth the tax payers money, hee hee to do so, but we may do it for science.

If this works, then I am guessing a clogged / dirty inline fuel filter? Maybe the particles are so small the filter does not have to look like the bottom of my aquarium back in college to be considered dirty, who knows!?

Gregski 03-11-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7085511)
I get it. I mean I got it back in January when I had a fight with a frame and a pair of leaf springs.

I get the vibe that you may be a bit too short in the tooth for such automotive injuries? JK

rich weyand 03-11-2015 09:23 PM

Some of those fuel filters have a one-way check valve. Now, I am not saying you put it on backwards, but, um, did you put it on backwards?

77K10Silverado 03-11-2015 10:13 PM

Wouldn't that keep it from starting the first time? Not real sure how those work though..

Titomars 03-11-2015 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77K10Silverado (Post 7086388)
Wouldn't that keep it from starting the first time? Not real sure how those work though..

I would think so myself, but since I have never seen one with a check valve in it. I am not sure how they work. I do know those little see through filters are nothing but trouble. I have seen many issues around them over the years.
Best fuel filter I have seen is a K&N fuel filter. Aluminum housing that the housing unscrews to access a cleanable stainless steel screen.

Gregski 03-12-2015 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7086292)
Some of those fuel filters have a one-way check valve. Now, I am not saying you put it on backwards, but, um, did you put it on backwards?

This one does not have such a check valve it is just a fine screen inside a glass tube. Also it says IN on one end and OUT on the other so I am 107% sure I installed it the correct way.

Now that I look at it while it is empty there is a bit of residue on the glass looks like someone sprinkled some pepper in there, maybe it just did it's job and cleaned fuel for as long as it could.

rich weyand 03-12-2015 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7086672)
This one does not have such a check valve it is just a fine screen inside a glass tube. Also it says IN on one end and OUT on the other so I am 107% sure I installed it the correct way.

Now that I look at it while it is empty there is a bit of residue on the glass looks like someone sprinkled some pepper in there, maybe it just did it's job and cleaned fuel for as long as it could.

In which case you may have another problem. Have you changed out all the soft rubber fuel lines yet?

Chaplain 03-12-2015 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7086233)
I get the vibe that you may be a bit too short in the tooth for such automotive injuries? JK

I'm finding that I don't bounce back like I used to.

Titomars 03-12-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7086728)
I'm finding that I don't bounce back like I used to.

Boy, Do I know that song! ;)

Gregski 03-12-2015 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7086716)
In which case you may have another problem. Have you changed out all the soft rubber fuel lines yet?

yes sir, did that when I dropped the tank a few weeks ago

Gregski 03-12-2015 01:08 PM

Fuel Problem Update - Looking Good

Made it to work ok, truck ran great, drove in the 10 miles and shut it off, about 30 minutes later he fired right up on the first try.

At lunch time we will make a few test runs and test starts to confirm, but so far Looking Good!

as always a huge thanks to all of those who contributed your input and ideas, very much appreciate it

77K10Silverado 03-12-2015 02:11 PM

Good deal!.