The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 02-28-2015 03:31 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Cross Member Support Brackets

2 Attachment(s)
I took my time, since my arms were going numb from lack of blood flow as I was laying on my back with my arms up in the air (like you just don't care... oops) tightening them cross member support brackets

I tightened these to: as hard as you can plus a quarter turn, LOL

Gregski 02-28-2015 03:33 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
and here's a parting shot for the night, The Greg is pooped!

~ man I wish I could have taken that cross member out so I could paint it ~ deep breath Greg deep breath

Gregski 02-28-2015 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7069229)
I wish you were my neighbor..

Why, you got a surplus of beer? jk

Gregski 02-28-2015 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7069246)
Glad to see that I'm not the only one to figgur out how to do it myselff.. good j.o.b. Gregski.. Way to truck !

Thanks, that was trucking hard!

68post 02-28-2015 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7069258)
Why, you got a surplus of beer? jk

..kinda - yeh..

by the way - I left those lower supports out on my C&C box truck .., bet it wouldn't make a diff for you ..

greg64 02-28-2015 11:55 AM

Y U NO paint crossmember? Just kidding. :lol:

Great work, Greg, getting that transmission back in. Told you it wasn't easy. I did something similar, with the lift from above over the tranny tunnel.

rich weyand 02-28-2015 12:23 PM

Paint and then Dynamat the interior floor before you put everything back together.

Gregski 02-28-2015 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7069598)
Paint and then Dynamat the interior floor before you put everything back together.

Sound advice, but that will have to wait till paint season rolls around, plus I will be taking the bed off this summer, stay tunned

Gregski 02-28-2015 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so what do we feed The Dragon? According to the Owner's and Driver's MANUAL (yes I got one, and yes on occasion I read it) we are supposed to use SAE 80 or SAE 90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

now you all know that me and Chemistry don't get along, so I went out to my local AutoZone and they didn't have any 90 stuff they only had combo ones so I bought this Vaseline (jk) 80W-90 "High Perfomance" Gear Oil, will that work?

Now I realize I will need more than one quart, I think I originally bought this stuff for the diff, so I will have to git more, unless you say go somewhere else and git the straight up 90 only es aye yee stuff

BBM3 02-28-2015 01:27 PM

According to the Valvoline website you can use that gear lube in manual transmissions and it is API GL5 rated so I would use it.

"All hypoid differentials (conventional and limited slip) and manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API-GL5 or MT-1 fluid is specified."

Great thread.
Your documentation is helping me a lot.

rich weyand 02-28-2015 02:12 PM

80W90 just means it acts like 80 when it's cold and 90 when it's hot. The factory spec of 80 or 90 basically means use 80 in Minnesota and 90 in Miami. Running the 80W90 you can get 90-weight performance in the summer and it will act like 80 in the winter so it isn't so hard to shift when it's cold.

In Sac, I would say to use 90 if you were using straight weight, but 80W90 is better.

Chaplain 02-28-2015 02:45 PM

Thanks Rich.

Gregski 02-28-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7069739)
Thanks Rich.

Yup, Rich is Da Man ! Thank you

rusty76 02-28-2015 07:32 PM

Every thing looks great.

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
prepped and painted the shift stick

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
prepped and painted the shifter boot retainer thing, can someone tell me which side is up on this thing, the previous owner had the dish side up, I prefer the smooth side up

cleaned it up using the good 'ol wire wheel, man if I had a sand blasting cabinet I would be dangerous

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here it is painted, pics are a bit crudy (indoors in the garage at night)

gonna order a new rubber boot from LMC Truck tomorrow (pay day!)

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
then got going on the rest of the drive train assembly

this bracket which holds up the middle of the two piece drive shaft has a front and a rear (I recon) the front is shorter then is swoops down in the rear (I hope)

rich weyand 03-01-2015 01:35 AM

The dished side of the screw holes goes up.

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:40 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Universal Joints

4 Attachment(s)
then it was time to replace the universal joints aka the U-joints

things began innocently enough

went to AutoZone and picked up three universal joints, first lesson I learned was that they were not all created equally, I was giver one for the front that was different from the other two a bit larger (apparently the middle and rear ones are the same a bit smaller)

"MUST BE LUBRICATED AFTER INSTALLATION" we'll get to that later

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:42 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - U-joint Removal

3 Attachment(s)
poor mans' press

Titomars 03-01-2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7070649)
then got going on the rest of the drive train assembly

this bracket which holds up the middle of the two piece drive shaft has a front and a rear (I recon) the front is shorter then is swoops down in the rear (I hope)

yes the support is angled up going towards the front. or shorter drop in front and longer drop in the rear.

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
out with the old and in with the new

now tapping the old U-joints out we don't care too much about 'em as they will be tossed

however when gently tapping in the new ones, you really shouldn't do it, I recon you should use a press to press them in

this was the first time I replaced u-joints so I didn't really know what I was in for - I had to take both caps off to get the thing in and then tap the caps back on

Not Fun!

Gregski 03-01-2015 01:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
ok, I remember doing the rear u-joint first then I did the front one, so I don't recall when this happened, if it happened on the first one or the second but both things happened to the same u-joint

so after I had this u-joint in I went to put in the retaining clips and I put one side in but I could not scootch the joint over far enough to put the second one in

so I thought I bet I know what happened, probably one of the needle bearings laid down while I was tapping the cap in, and sure enuff

but after I fixed that side I still couldn't put the second clip in, so low and behold I check the other side, still same u-joint minds you and I had two needles down in this one

moral of the story, don't force the issue, take your time, re trace your steps

I'm just being honest with you, it's not like it's all roses over here at the Busted Knuckles Garage 24/7

Gregski 03-01-2015 02:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
when I bought these joints I specifically asked the AutoZoner if I would have to lube them up, he said no, just install them, but they do come with the grease fitting and the ability to lube them up later

so I was not too happy to see that sign that said "MUST BE LUBRICATED AFTER INSTALLATION"

I went to reach for my grease gun and it felt a bit light, someone removed the grease tube, it was empty... grrrr

so I ghetto lubed one up by removing the lube nipple and packing it with bearing grease

then I went to lube the other one and it was full of grease, what the heck, did they forget to lube the first? I thought