The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 07-11-2015 04:15 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7234083)
It's been 30 days for me and still dealing with it here. My work really would prefer me gone at this point. It is their policy not to employ people with problems, I guess. Last weekend I forced myself to do a little on my truck. It took a full day to swap my column out for a tilt version. normally that only take a couple of hours.

Man get better, and don't be too hard on yourself any cab work in my opinion is meant for cortortionists at some point and is like building a ship in a bottle it can get cramped in there for sure.

Titomars 07-11-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7237869)
Man get better, and don't be too hard on yourself any cab work in my opinion is meant for cortortionists at some point and is like building a ship in a bottle it can get cramped in there for sure.

Yeah I hear that on the contortionist routine under a dash. Hence the all day part. The part that is really bugging me right now is laying on my back.... just can't do it whether it's a creeper or a pad/carpet. The moment I get down my back start singing big time. I have a nice new built TH400 just itching to get in my truck. I blew my back out 2 days before I planned to swap out the trans. now that nice new trans just sits in my shed patiently waiting. I have stuff to do to my Jeep CJ7 which also is not happening. Now with that I am thinking of selling the Jeep as is. I am getting the feeling my off roading days are behind me.

rajincajintj 07-13-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7237862)
I was like BEEP can I have a glass of water, BEEP, can I have some ice... BEEP BEEP how about a bendy straw, LOL

cant wait for mine to get that old.

my wife constantly reminds me that they are not pledges.

willem445 07-13-2015 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7237857)
I think I shoved large paper paper towels into the intake openings in the heads, not the half sheet ones, don't sweat it too much unless you get metal shavings in there, or wire brush bristles, if you get some dirt it will blow out, I don't recommend being sloppy, but I would not dismantle the engine if a tiny piece of dirt fell in, know what I mean, share some pics, so I can live vicariously through you, hee hee

Okay cool. Yeah I need to start taking more picture when I work. I always take before and after pics but always forget the in progress pics.

rusty76 07-13-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7237862)
king words, thank you, here's how the Greg spent a couple days, God bless daughters my 10 year old dropped off the Walkie Talkie and said use it daddy when you need anything

Two Things

1. What kid plays with walkie talkies these days?!?!?! right guys, know what I'm saying, how cool is that

and B. about 10 mintues later she wanted to rip the walkie talkie out of my cold dead hands, since I was like BEEP can I have a glass of water, BEEP, can I have some ice... BEEP BEEP how about a bendy straw, LOL

I know what did it. It was the drums. Hmmm.

Chrispbrown36 07-13-2015 11:05 PM

I don't do "in progress" shots because I am afraid I would be banned from the site if people saw how I worked....

rajincajintj 07-14-2015 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7240389)
I don't do "in progress" shots because I am afraid I would be banned from the site if people saw how I worked....

dude,

you'll at least get a warning first :lol:

54earl 08-06-2015 11:31 PM

This can not be all she wrote for rusty.

Titomars 08-07-2015 12:41 AM

If Gregski's back is anything like mine, he probably is not doing much if not anything on Rusty. It is really hard to get anything done on the truck with a back out.

Gregski 08-08-2015 04:47 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Gorilla Rack

2 Attachment(s)
hey what's up Forum? well it's been over a month without a wrench in my hand, on the bright side I am all caught up on Modern Family, LOL

for all of you who recommended a chiropractic for my back problem, I went and saw a husband and wife team about half a dozen times, with their help and rest I feel much better, but man very fragile (bend down wrong to brush your teeth and things can go wrong)

I narrowed down my pain to a muscle pull between my right hip bone and the spine, so it's not really a spine/bone problem,

went running for the first time yesterday and did one mile, before the injury I could run 3, but don't want to over do it, plus my quads are on fire today, this never happened in my twenties, LOL

anywho

not exactly pics or Rusty, but I put together my work bench today, my buddies who moved it for me thought it would be fun to take it all apart to the last nut and bolt, needless to say I have known those clowns since we were 10 years old

yeah new garage looks like it's been hit by a tornado, but in time we will make enuff room to turn a few bolts on Rusty

rgunlock 08-08-2015 06:48 PM

Glad to see you're getting around again! Hope that long break didn't turn you lazy :lol:

Chaplain 08-08-2015 07:08 PM

Thumbs up...

68Timber 08-08-2015 07:30 PM

Glad to see you stirring and posting. :metal:

rusty76 08-09-2015 05:24 PM

Glad to have you back on

Titomars 08-09-2015 08:31 PM

Welcome back Gregski. Glad to have you back amongst us.

68post 08-10-2015 02:47 PM

Glad you made it back , but be careful.

Gregski 08-29-2015 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks all for the kind words, so I've been slowly organizing my new garage, it feels like walking in quick sand, but I am loosing my mind not being able to find my tools, anywho picked up 5 of these stackable shelves from Home Depot for $14 bucks each and I love them, they are great for storing your power tools, drills, angle grinders, skill saws, anything with a dangling cord on them, they have a nice lip so the cord doesn't hang off the shelf allowing you to step on the plug and bend the blades, ask me how I know

Gregski 08-29-2015 05:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
one day I felt good and the truck ran good so we decided to go and take the old truck bed to a metal recycler, I share this with you because we got the truck weighed as part of the deal kinda cool

4,280 lbs - loaded up with the scrap metal, me (200 lbs), a small tool bag and a 1/4 tank of gas

3,940 lbs - empty bed, me (200 lbs), small tool bag and a 1/4 tank of gas

so we dropped off 340 pounds of metal and at .01 cent a pound made out like bandits with $3.40 yes THREE DOLLARS AND FOURTY CENTS, ha ha, I doubt that covered the cost of fuel

Gregski 08-29-2015 05:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok as we run out of 100*F days, I am running out of excuses not to work on Rusty, so I started filling all the bolt holes with the bolts that hold the bed together, there's got to be over 50 of them, and although my buddies got the bed on there for me, they only put in a few bolts to hold it down to drive the 1/2 mile down the street to my new house, the rest they left up to me

this work falls under that category where you bust your butt, sweat, get dirty, and the truck looks exactly the same after you are done as it did when you started, but here's some pics non the less ~ for your pitty

Gregski 08-29-2015 09:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so spent most of Saturday tightening every nut and bolt of the bed, then I realized I got some mud flaps to attend to

this job is not glamorous at all, but it needs to git done

Gregski 08-29-2015 09:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
shot the sticks with some paint over rust primer and went after the mud flap thingies, cleaned them up best I could, we're not going for SEMA perfection here folks, a splash of acid to keep the rust at bay, and some more wire wheelin' and they should be good to go

pardon the mess in the new paint booth, some moving boxes are still lingering around

Zayzay 08-31-2015 02:05 PM

Nice to see you at it again. It the little things that set your build/rebuild apart from the rest......Hope to see more soon.

77K10Silverado 09-01-2015 11:12 AM

$$$$

Gregski 09-02-2015 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
happy Labor Day my truck brothers n sisters

Greg n Rusty

rusty76 09-02-2015 09:06 PM

Let's go camping.