The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

1 Attachment(s)
and a peak underneath

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok so first we need to transfer the coil from the OEM dizzy to the DUI CrossFire

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
worth mentioning that I noticed the stock OEM distributor cap had the center hole bevled out a bit, seemed like an after the fact modification, where as the DUI CrossFire cap did not - I decided to leave the new one be, and try it the way it is

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and just to be thorough and since the new cap came with a new rotor, we decided to swap those as well

white - old

blue - new

Titomars 07-09-2016 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7647958)
and just to be thorough and since the new cap came with a new rotor, we decided to swap those as well

white - old

blue - new

Wait, hold up a sec. transferring coils and rotors is not normal of Davis dizzies. I have purchased 5 of them and they all came drop in. DUI's have their own coils which are not standard HEI coils. Their caps and rotors are brass contacts and matching colors too. Maybe I missed something.

MikeB 07-09-2016 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7647945)
man I aint too impressed with this there CrossFire distributor cap, seems like all they done did was soldered some wire inside the cap to re route the contact points (except #1 and #4) and covered it up with black goop, ha ha

Stay away from gimmicks (spelled k-l-u-d-g-e in this case). Some future owner or mechanic will be pulling their hair out working with what they think is a stock cap.

RDrancher 07-09-2016 05:07 PM

At least it's shiny black goop!

Gregski 07-09-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7647967)
Wait, hold up a sec. transferring coils and rotors is not normal of Davis dizzies. I have purchased 5 of them and they all came drop in. DUI's have their own coils which are not standard HEI coils. Their caps and rotors are brass contacts and matching colors too. Maybe I missed something.

Whacha talkin' about Willis?

Gregski 07-09-2016 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7648001)
Stay away from gimmicks (spelled k-l-u-d-g-e in this case). Some future owner or mechanic will be pulling their hair out working with what they think is a stock cap.

Ha ha so true Mike, I volunteered at a buddies motorcycle shop for a number of years and we would git crazy stuff in every once in a while, this was during the Chopper craze and we once got a "custom" bike built by the owner, and he used a red colored wire for every single circuit on his bike, brought it to us cause the brake lights didn't work or something like that, my buddy yanked all that stuff out and we done it right

one day I asked our main mechanic what was his favorite bike to work on, and he looked me straight in the face and said "STOCK, anything stock, cause if I don't know it I can look it up in the book"

so right you is Mike, right you is

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
got some new MSD(ish) spark plug wires

SF Street Fire (so gotta be good, ha ha) An MSD Brand (what in the world does that mean)

USA MADE (not made in the USA mind you, but USA Made, I'm sure there's a difference)

spiral wound, silicone sleeve, all the right words

Titomars 07-09-2016 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7648013)
Whacha talkin' about Willis?

my mistake I thought you were installing a DUI dizzy not just a cap and rotor. I'll shut up and just lurk ;)

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
So what was in the box Homes?

a bunch of wires and a bunch of rubber booties and a crimper tool that you use in your vice (now that's awesome, and the big reason I chose these)

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
ok lets get this stuff sorted and try to make some sense out of it all

it appears there is two kinds of rubber booties, I recon the slim ones be for an HEI style dizzy and the fatter ones seem to fit my old points distributor

not sure if the silver tips go with the skinny boots and the gold with the fat ones I just laid them out that way, though one fat bootie wire did have a gold tip already installed in it

the bottom boot is a bit different then the rest and is for the Coil

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did not see the wire sizes on the box so I laid them out in matching pairs and measured them for us

2 x 55"

2 x 48"

2 x 41"

2 x 31"

1 x coil wire

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:53 PM

alright so we put our Big Boy Pants on and gonna build us our first set of custom spark plug wires, here we go...

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
after we measure the right length (ie 26 1/2 inches for #1 and #2 wires) we cut the wire to length and strip about 1/2 inch off (hence the extra 1/2 in the total length) using their super duper crimping tool which has a side for stripping wire, I just used my box cutter knife

Gregski 07-09-2016 06:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
we used Vaseline to slip the boot on about 5" back before crimping the end on

Gregski 07-09-2016 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It helps if you use needle nose pliers to bend the metal clip ends in a little bit to help the crimper before you shove it in the vice

Gregski 07-09-2016 07:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
there, not bad for the first one

Gregski 07-09-2016 07:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and one down and seven to go...

RDrancher 07-09-2016 07:23 PM

Looks good! I remember the first set I did...more than a couple decades ago. No cool tools included back then, and I butchered a couple wires up pretty good. Those wires got a little short before I was done. lol

MikeB 07-09-2016 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7648064)
got some new MSD(ish) spark plug wires

SF Street Fire (so gotta be good, ha ha) An MSD Brand (what in the world does that mean)

Used those last year on my truck motor. Just as nice as the higher priced spread, IMO. I bought them because it was supposed to be a "budget build". But just bought some upgraded valve train parts, and am looking at replacing my $150 worth of cast iron manifolds with headers. With my luck the plug wires won't work with headers. But, hey, this thread is your rant.;)

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL38.../412656022.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7648084)
we used Vaseline to slip the boot on about 5" back before crimping the end on

That's pretty high tech. I use dielectric grease.

enaberif 07-09-2016 08:23 PM

That black "goop" is just non-conducting electrical paste. You can buy that stuff in jars/cans form most automotive stores.

I personally would veer away from those types of caps.. But hey whatever works for you.

rusty76 07-10-2016 11:29 AM

Looking good.

Gregski 07-10-2016 11:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RDrancher (Post 7648101)
Looks good! I remember the first set I did...more than a couple decades ago. No cool tools included back then, and I butchered a couple wires up pretty good. Those wires got a little short before I was done. lol

I hear you brother, I was quite surprised my first few turned out as good as they did, and that's why two (#2 & #4) are a bit longer cause I built in some length in them just in case I messed up, ha ha

well here's one half done