The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1969 K10 CST Full Restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786335)

IronCanine 08-20-2019 09:28 PM

Re: 1969 K10 CST Full Restoration

1 Attachment(s)
Indisputable Fact: These trucks have the best dash in the history of trucks. I feel like it's the type of thing that could bring us together as Americans. We went to the moon, we beat back the Nazis, we cured polio, we invented the corn dog AND THIS DASH. Solid resume. Let's have a beer, look at some trucks and hug it out.

Ol Blue K20 08-20-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8579451)
Indisputable Fact: These trucks have the best dash in the history of trucks. I feel like it's the type of thing that could bring us together as Americans. We went to the moon, we beat back the Nazis, we cured polio, we invented the corn dog AND THIS DASH. Solid resume. Let's have a beer, look at some trucks and hug it out.

I agree, I love their looks

DeadheadNM 08-20-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8579451)

Love it! X2!

DeadheadNM 08-20-2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8578944)
Here's a pic of what we used next to OE. You're right, there is an OD difference. The OE line has a larger outside diameter. I haven't noticed that it's a problem on the firewall...but I do have to order a new 3 hole grommet as I don't seem to have a new one in our ever dwindling cache of parts.

Great follow up thanks. Better smaller OD than larger OD - I was bumbling and had what I recall was larger OD replacements that were tough to wedge through the grommets before cleaning and using the OEM stuff. Oy, why not straightforward.

IronCanine 08-20-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8579469)
Great follow up thanks. Better smaller OD than larger OD - I was bumbling and had what I recall was larger OD replacements that were tough to wedge through the grommets before cleaning and using the OEM stuff. Oy, why not straightforward.

Another note on the vacuum and washer hose (and other rubber stuff) Pete...since we are sensitive to labeling on non OE replacement parts, and since it's not always practical or possible to procure correctly labeled NOS or reproduction examples, Eric has cleverly removed any labeling on our lines with a rag lightly damp with lacquer thinner. I know the windshield washer hose was made in Thailand....we all don't have to read it every 12 inches. If it doesn't say Delco or GM, plain black is our preference.

DeadheadNM 08-20-2019 10:37 PM

Very nice touch sir!

IronCanine 08-25-2019 03:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
We've had a bit of a hiccup on the core support. For whatever reason it didn't like the paint or the paint didn't like it, so poor Eric has been working on taking it back to bare metal (all while fighting a cold). Since we had the tank in, it seemed like a good idea to drill some holes and get the tank carpet in. This is the carpet we've been working on with ACC to replicate the factory original. I think it turned out great. Here's the thread where you can see how we got to this point with ACC and our install process:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=268050&page=2

IronCanine 08-25-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8579485)
Very nice touch sir!

Thanks Pete!

Yerboogieman 08-28-2019 04:20 PM

Very clean and nice. I would not mind feeling how they drove when they were new.

IronCanine 08-28-2019 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yerboogieman (Post 8583837)
Very clean and nice. I would not mind feeling how they drove when they were new.

Thanks. I can't wait to drive it. On the point of feel...when we did the Blazer, everything was new or reconditioned or rebuilt. But the detents on the column shift for that truck didn't feel near as good as this one. It's not remotely vague. The Blazer was good, don't get me wrong...but I thought it would have been better and figured, 'well this is as good as they get'...but I was wrong. This one shifts tight and lands confidently and crisply on the marks. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Ol Blue K20 08-28-2019 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronCanine (Post 8583863)
Thanks. I can't wait to drive it. On the point of feel...when we did the Blazer, everything was new or reconditioned or rebuilt. But the detents on the column shift for that truck didn't feel near as good as this one. It's not remotely vague. The Blazer was good, don't get me wrong...but I thought it would have been better and figured, 'well this is as good as they get'...but I was wrong. This one shifts tight and lands confidently and crisply on the marks. It was a very pleasant surprise.

My column is sloppy too. When I looked at it I figured it was because it hadn't been lubricated in so long . They forced it out of park without being able to pull back on the lever. Hopefully the tilt I have is better.

IronCanine 09-02-2019 07:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Travel and colds have slowed us a bit...add in the usual restoration struggles and we find ourselves farther from the end than we'd like, but inching closer nonetheless. The core support finally relented. Luckily it gave in before Eric did.

IronCanine 09-02-2019 07:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today Eric polished on the window stainless and I tried to tackle some odds and ends. Classic Auto Air slid farther down my list today. They'd installed a non vented blower motor...with silicone instead of a gasket. Not a huge problem to fix, but it's more time. Got a new motor and sourced a vent hose and gasket, then moved on to running heater hose. Again referenced Jim Pontious' 69 as well as other K truck pics I'd collected. Thanks to member WETOWM for the repro upper radiator hoses.

IronCanine 09-02-2019 07:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Two more routing pics that show the heater control valve (which is the unmounted version in '69). And I like it when we complete systems. The fuel system is complete and the drive line is now complete. A/C, electrical and cooling are all very close...then it's fluids and turn the key.

weim55 09-02-2019 10:25 PM

This is been a really fun thread to keep up with! Thanks for taking the time to walking through the restoration. Question on the AC : are you going to keep a stock and stay with R12??

Steve weim55 Colorado

IronCanine 09-02-2019 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weim55 (Post 8586627)
This is been a really fun thread to keep up with! Thanks for taking the time to walking through the restoration. Question on the AC : are you going to keep a stock and stay with R12??

Steve weim55 Colorado

Thanks. We considered a conversion...but we're going to stay with R12. We're trying to stay as original as possible, that includes a stock condenser... so R12 probably makes the most since (in this part of the country).

Chulisohombre 09-03-2019 02:11 AM

Great job. Two more systems down. It’s coming together nicely.

IronCanine 09-07-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chulisohombre (Post 8586697)
Great job. Two more systems down. It’s coming together nicely.

Thanks. Getting there.

IronCanine 09-07-2019 10:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Tough week. Spent two nights after work trying to install the windshield. No dice. Tried to make use of the wealth of info on here about it and almost nailed it on the first try...but one spot of the trim didn't lay down and on the second attempt the weatherstrip began to split at the corner...all down hill from there. New weatherstrip on the way, so we'll try again. Waiting on the correct condenser to finish up the A/C. Not getting it from ClassicAutoAir/OriginalAirGroup. I may post a review in the vendor section. Needless to say my experience with them has been wholly negative and I could not in any way recommend them for A/C restoration. We've 're-restored' everything ourselves. Since we've gone about as far as we can assembly wise...the old girl got rolled out and saw sun for the first time in a while so Eric could break the doors back out and prep to shoot some more color. It was nice to see that much blue out in the daylight.

Ol Blue K20 09-08-2019 04:14 AM

Looking great! The color looks really good outside.

DeadheadNM 09-08-2019 08:53 AM

Thanks for the update. Bummer on the windshield and good luck for the next attempt. You guys got farther than most professional installers can accomplish anymore. The truck already looks like a million bucks.

IronCanine 09-08-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8589558)
Looking great! The color looks really good outside.

Thanks Dale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 8589628)
Thanks for the update. Bummer on the windshield and good luck for the next attempt. You guys got farther than most professional installers can accomplish anymore. The truck already looks like a million bucks.

Thanks Pete. We'll get it licked.

IronCanine 09-09-2019 09:19 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A little more blue. Door interiors and jambs. Rear fender wells and the correct hump. I made the mistake of letting Eric paint a '72 hump the first time when I knew we were using a '70 transfer case and shifter. Satisfaction in resolving a problem...even if it's of my own making.

Ol Blue K20 09-10-2019 06:53 AM

That paint sure lays down nice and smooth with a beautiful shine.

1971Stepside 09-10-2019 09:16 AM

I would like to invite you two over for a BBQ on the next three day weekend...I will watch you get my truck done :)

Impressive work. I see this truck and I want to build a 4WD bad now...thanks for that.