The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   1981_c10 Step-Side (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672726)

rodstored-72 12-30-2020 12:50 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8855496)
...... I also was able to get the first coat of the frame paint on. See the pics and what i used. Over all really happy with the product so far especially coming from a can. Bought the stuff from Summit.

looks very nice;). I used the same VHT on some front suspension parts on my build, I am interested to see how it holds up over time and use. On my build I am using POR-15 for the main frame paint, I believe it might have a little better durability... but I am not for sure.
.... again nice job!!:metal:

1981_c10 01-06-2021 04:05 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodstored-72 (Post 8856465)
looks very nice;). I used the same VHT on some front suspension parts on my build, I am interested to see how it holds up over time and use. On my build I am using POR-15 for the main frame paint, I believe it might have a little better durability... but I am not for sure.
.... again nice job!!:metal:

My frame to start was pretty clean still so the VHT I feel was a good choice. If my frame had rust i would have gone por15 route for sure. But the price and ease of VHT was nice.

Keep me update don how you like the por15.

1981_c10 01-06-2021 04:06 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin78612 (Post 8856401)
I might be interested in the brown one if the guy still has it.

Let me chat him to see if he still has it.

1981_c10 01-08-2021 05:36 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Truck bed is headed to the painter today! Super excited!

TKCR 01-08-2021 05:52 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8860885)
Truck bed is headed to the painter today! Super excited!

That is good news!

1981_c10 01-12-2021 07:04 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
1 Attachment(s)
Little update. I started working on the cab floor today at lunch. Back when i was 14 my dad and I fiberglassed a small hole (was like the size of a quarter...) I removed the fiberglass today so it can be repaired with metal before paint. As you can see it has grown over the last 15 years...

Still this and the same spot on the driver are the only rust on the truck. So not bad!

1981_c10 01-12-2021 07:06 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Tomorrow at lunch I will do the driver side.

Any recommendations on best way to repair. In a tight spot.

daddyjeep 01-13-2021 10:28 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8863279)
Tomorrow at lunch I will do the driver side.

Any recommendations on best way to repair. In a tight spot.

Cut as much out as you need to to get in there to do the repair. You are already cutting and welding so no reason to create an area that is hard to work in.

1981_c10 01-13-2021 11:22 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8863546)
Cut as much out as you need to to get in there to do the repair. You are already cutting and welding so no reason to create an area that is hard to work in.

Very true! Thanks for the tip!

1981_c10 01-19-2021 03:21 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Talked with my body guy and will be ordering a patch panel for the passenger side and patching the driver in a few small areas.

I take him my truck this weekend!

also, need to call USA1 about their full interior kit. Any one order that and liked it? Seems like a good deal for the price.

TKCR 01-19-2021 07:28 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8866662)
Talked with my body guy and will be ordering a patch panel for the passenger side and patching the driver in a few small areas.

I take him my truck this weekend!

also, need to call USA1 about their full interior kit. Any one order that and liked it? Seems like a good deal for the price.

Not the entire interior kit, but a lot of their stuff. I wished they would have had this back when I did my interior. Just be patient, it won't come right after you order. It takes time. When I ordered just my door panels, it took 3-4 months. But its well worth the wait.

1981_c10 01-28-2021 04:15 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Small update: painter bought all the body and paint material and should be starting today/tomorrow on the bed. Taking my cab and such to him Wednesday.

Also, going to order the USA1 interior kit this week! The wait begins...

1981_c10 01-31-2021 10:08 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Spent 3 hours with red scotchbrite, dish soap and water sanding the inside of the cab to prep for the body guy. Will do another round today/this week. What a tedious process.

Also went to summit yesterday and purchased the front bed panel for the stepside. They gave me the more expensive made in the USA panel for the price of the made in Taiwan panel. So was happy about that. Way heavier metal.

Going to look at used stock hood today from a guy and maybe a few other odds and ends. excited to start making some big progress.

calvin78612 02-01-2021 12:50 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin78612 (Post 8856401)
I might be interested in the brown one if the guy still has it.

Did you ever talk to the guy about the brown one ?

1981_c10 02-01-2021 12:56 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Thanks for the reminder. Will do that now.

1981_c10 02-02-2021 04:48 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin78612 (Post 8873235)
Did you ever talk to the guy about the brown one ?

they got back to me today. It sold.

1981_c10 02-08-2021 10:26 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Truck officially got some paint on it friday. Did the gaps between the bed panels. I tried uploading pics but it didnt work. I am headed up there next monday to help out. Hopefully the bed will be pretty far then and i will take some pictures.

I also ordered the hidden latch kit we need to install. We are welding up all the unused holes in the bed too so should look clean.

Lastly, started getting some of my USA1 interior. Got lower carpet panels, paint, misc screws/fasterners, and inside window cranks and door latches. Swap meet at TMS is in a couple week and hope to pick a few more things up. Also picked up a stock hood.

TKCR 02-08-2021 10:55 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8876962)
Truck officially got some paint on it friday. Did the gaps between the bed panels. I tried uploading pics but it didnt work. I am headed up there next monday to help out. Hopefully the bed will be pretty far then and i will take some pictures.

I also ordered the hidden latch kit we need to install. We are welding up all the unused holes in the bed too so should look clean.

Lastly, started getting some of my USA1 interior. Got lower carpet panels, paint, misc screws/fasterners, and inside window cranks and door latches. Swap meet at TMS is in a couple week and hope to pick a few more things up. Also picked up a stock hood.

Canít wait to see the pics!

1981_c10 02-19-2021 10:26 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Well, the texas snow storm again delayed my cab getting to the painter. Hoping not this weekend but next weekend I can get it over there...

Anybody going to Pates Swap Meet next weekend? I knw LST is the same weekend.

TKCR 02-19-2021 10:28 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Well that's a bummer. Hope all is well down there in Texas. Seems that Texas is getting the raw end of the deal, and from all sides.

1981_c10 02-19-2021 10:33 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8882397)
Well that's a bummer. Hope all is well down there in Texas. Seems that Texas is getting the raw end of the deal, and from all sides.

It is getting better. My pregnant wife and I were out of power for 40+ hours...end up going to my parents when it got into the 40's in our house. Very crazy experience for Texas.

At home now though.

LT7A 02-21-2021 11:54 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Wow that's cold! Glad you guys got through it okay.

calvin78612 03-02-2021 10:34 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Are you going to the LMC truck show at TMS ?

1981_c10 03-08-2021 04:25 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by calvin78612 (Post 8887523)
Are you going to the LMC truck show at TMS ?

Yeah I am. Not sure my truck will be ready but hoping to be ready enough to take it. Are you?

calvin78612 03-10-2021 11:42 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Yes, going sat. but my 77 is not finished yet so maybe by C10's in the park it will be ready.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com