The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Beginner question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=843385)

skygoddess 03-30-2023 11:57 PM

Beginner question

I need to put a battery in a 1978 Chevy c10. Problem is , both battery cables are black, and I have no idea which is which. What should I be looking for at the originating source of each. Would hate to get them mixed up.
Thanks, and btw, explained it to me as if I'm 8 years old. :)

Stereojnky 03-31-2023 12:48 AM

Re: Beginner question

The ground (or negative) cable should be going to the engine block or chassis. Positive should be going to fuse box and/or starter. Pictures would definitely help.

Dead Parrot 03-31-2023 12:05 PM

Another common place for the negative/ground is the alternator bracket. Usually the negative is much shorter then the positive.

If the cables are corroded, replace with new and try for a red one for the positive. Otherwise wrap some red tape or zip tie around the positive once you have them sorted out. Helps avoid mistakes when working around the battery in the dark.

Bandit130 03-31-2023 12:50 PM

The battery should be marked at the posts with a + for positive and a - for negative.

Getter-Done 03-31-2023 12:58 PM

I will just add there should be a small wire on the ground cable that will go to radiator support. If there is not one, it should be added when you buy the new cable.

truckin 79 03-31-2023 01:54 PM

Simple answer negative is the shorter wire hooked to engine or alternator bracket and positive is longer wire running under the engine

skygoddess 03-31-2023 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What happened is last person who worked on the truck didn't secure battery. Battery tipped over and battery acid spilled out all over. I cleaned up the acid, hopefully, but got a side port battery for a replacement. It had been changed to a top post and the cord was lengthened. Both are the same length. The cable on the top of the photo is bolted to a bracket on the frame and connects to ?? Starter?? lower than the other which seems to connect. to something??in the same area.as I mentioned, I am totally clueless

skygoddess 03-31-2023 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another view

kglowacky 03-31-2023 03:03 PM

find someone who knows to come get it determined which is which. You don't want to hook it up backwards. You can burn up the entire truck. and I would replace the positive cable with a new red cable so you know in the future which is which.

Scott91370 03-31-2023 03:04 PM

The one in the above post is the POSITIVE. The bracket to the frame is isolated so it doesn't actually touch the frame.

There should be another cable (the negative) that goes to the alternator bracket and is only about 18" long.

skygoddess 03-31-2023 03:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a ground to radiator ?here is a pic of all three

truckin 79 03-31-2023 03:45 PM

The cable one the very left is the negative cable connected by the fuel pump. That is a very bad location for that negative cable in case of a fuel leak. The cable that has a metal tie down strap center of picture is positive cable. But just to make sure crawl under truck and trace that wire to starter. If you have some red electrical tape just mark the two ends of positive cable for future reference. I would also move that negative cable to top of alternator bracket or almost anywhere else. Once again trace the wire with the hold down on frame to starter to make sure that is the positive cable
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...1&d=1680288952

skygoddess 03-31-2023 04:16 PM

Thanks got it done. Now hopefully two week old battery acid spill has not fried anything .

Dead Parrot 03-31-2023 05:01 PM

If you haven't already, give everything in that area a good rinse with a garden hose. No need for pressure, just run a lot of water over things to rinse off any remaining spilled acid.