The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

rusty76 01-30-2016 07:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Geeez how fast you going? Just kidding. Glad you are ok. My truck would pop the hood on its on as well. Used to scare the bejezzuz out of me. I can remember the first time it did it...Not a very proud papa....lol.

y5mgisi 01-30-2016 07:39 PM

Lame!!!

68Timber 01-30-2016 08:07 PM

I had a 76 K5 years back do that to me once, not fun. Hope the damage is minimal.

flashed 01-30-2016 09:07 PM

Sucks about the hood but Rusty is just testing you .I get to bring my truck home for good tomorrow ,cant wait.

enaberif 01-31-2016 12:07 PM

Had a hood open on me in a my old civic doing 90km/h down the highway.. I wasn't so lucky. The hood warped beyond repair and took the windshield out.

Gregski 02-05-2016 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7468139)
Had a hood open on me in a my old civic doing 90km/h down the highway.. I wasn't so lucky. The hood warped beyond repair and took the windshield out.

dang bro, hope no one was hurt

Gregski 02-05-2016 12:41 AM

so a mini update / mini Ta Do List for February

1. Get the hood opened and assess the hood / hinge damage

2. Replace my non working used speedo with a brand spankin' new speedo

3. Replace working but not accurate tach with a brand new tach

4. Stare at the unfinished dash board, maybe sand it down some more and applicate some textured paint on it

5. This Space Intentionally Left Blank (ha ha)

Gregski 02-06-2016 06:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
decided I aint gonna wait till spring to get this hood fixed

so can you guys tell me what's peculiar about my hood hinges now, post the highway hood incident (HHI)?

hatzie 02-06-2016 07:27 PM

Nothing really Springs out at me.:lol:

flashed 02-06-2016 07:33 PM

Spring's just around the corner .

enaberif 02-06-2016 08:00 PM

nothing springs out at me

y5mgisi 02-06-2016 08:05 PM

That's crazy!

rusty76 02-06-2016 08:38 PM

It's sprung past me.

68Timber 02-06-2016 09:28 PM

It appears spring has sprung.

Gregski 02-07-2016 12:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ha ha, lucky for me Rusty found a way to hold on to them

maybe it was his way of apologizing

enaberif 02-07-2016 12:57 PM

LOL that is too funny.

hatzie 02-07-2016 03:55 PM

Those springs may be the only part you can salvage. Kinda amusing that they are just sitting there.
The hood looks like it's seen better days.
Flying open like that can't be good for the hinges either. I bet they're pretty tweaked.

Gregski 02-08-2016 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7477889)
Had mine done locally by a machinist but checkout this guy:
http://www.hoodhingerepair.com/rebuild-process/

thanks bud, I checked out that website and may take him up on a rebuild don't know yet

Gregski 02-08-2016 11:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well the morale is at an all time low at the Damage Inc. garage but with the football season officially over, there are no more excuses on Monday Night so we decided to get the hood propped open (here we are using a custom fab pine hood prop, though it may be redwood, not sure) the driver side would hang in the rear corner on the hood pin but we figured it out

then it was time for a baff, the springs we cleaned and painted a year ago were done using Muriatic acid and never properly neutralized (pronounced, bone head mistake) so the acid sped up rustation, so now we get to do it over - this time using Phosphoric acid instead

first we neutralize what ever remaining Muriatic acid with some Baking soda (honey I'm just making biscuits - geez)

Gregski 02-10-2016 12:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
looks like the Phosphoric acid is doing its job, here's what the springs looked like after they were left in there over night

I still would love to have a media blast setup, but for now this will do, I will take a wire brush to them to get the rest of the paint flake off

Gregski 02-10-2016 12:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
we all know how exciting and stimulating rust removal can be, so I'm sure you all will agree, its time for a nice new shinny distraction

ta da, my new speedo arrived from Classic Parts (this may be my first purchase from this establishment, I can't recall for sure) for $120 bucks out the door including shipping you won't find a better deal among the Big Four (LMC, Brothers, Classic Inudstries, and Classic Parts)

Gregski 02-10-2016 12:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
the story on my speedo is this, I had a working 1974 speedo in my original cluster, but I upgraded it to a 1978 used cluster with a tach, the speedo in that cluster stopped working on day one, so I said enuff with the used gauges and finally I bought this brand new 1978 speedo

Gregski 02-11-2016 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
after wire wheeling the remainder of the rust and paint flakes off the hood hinge springs it was time to give them a new coat of paint

Gregski 02-11-2016 09:21 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painting the Dash Cover

4 Attachment(s)
after sanding down some more imperfections on the dash cover, it was time to shoot it with some RUST-OLEUM Wrinkle Finish paint

on the can it says paint won't wrinkle right away and that we would need to wait 2 hours, so waiting...

Front Range 02-11-2016 10:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Two Steps Forward One Step Back

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7467144)

That's right my life flashed before my eyes..

In High School I was in the passenger seat of my buddy's pick-up while we went to MacDonalds for lunch. Kids from our school had to make a 10 minute trip into town for "not-school" food. The truck was a rodded cherry red 1954 Chevy pickup. It was quick - like dry lightning, and well known on Main Street. Coming back from lunch, late for school, on a tightly packed 2 lane rural highway just outside of town, he punched it to pass a line of slow moving cars. By punched I mean it felt like the Boot of God came down and kicked that little truck square in the ass.

We snapped back into the seat, howling instantly up from a plodding 25mph through 65mph into 70. The next thing I remember is the loud BANG of the big bubble hood slamming back into the glass and cab, and then overwhelming fear. Time gets contorted, everything moves both quick and slow, pure adrenaline. I still remember that mind numbing blank windshield where the outside world should have been. Then tires squealing, the uncontrolled whipsawing, weightlessness... and that thick ass dirt & rubber smoke filling my nose. Ended up out in the field, no one hurt, and euphorically wondering how it was we were still alive when we should be dead.

I'm 48 now but still feel it like yesterday. Very glad you came out of it unscathed. Check for gray hairs on your head.