The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

greg64 03-03-2015 09:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7074919)
Yeah you would think I said "Ford makes the best trucks!" or something, just kidding people, just joking

Them's fightin' words!

Titomars 03-03-2015 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7074946)
Geez, a nice car to be sure, but 250 grand? No car is worth that to me.

Especially when it sold new for around $5,000 to $6,000....

rich weyand 03-04-2015 12:13 AM

Mecum recently sold an original, low-mileage Dodge Daytona hemi for $900,000.

David Spade bought it. <church lady voice> Isn't that special? </clv>

Titomars 03-04-2015 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7075274)

who is David Spade??

68post 03-04-2015 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7075278)
who is David Spade??

"Joe Dirt"

greg64 03-04-2015 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7075278)
who is David Spade??

One of the SNL guys for a number of years.

Gregski 03-04-2015 01:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
can somebody remind me what the heck we ordered this for?

I kid, I kid

It was supposed to take TWO WEEKS but it got here in only 11 days, that's like saying I plan on finishing this marathon in 23 hours and then thinking you set the world on fire when you come in at 20 hours

what? bad example, well that's all I got

Titomars 03-04-2015 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7075318)
"Joe Dirt"

???

Titomars 03-04-2015 01:22 AM

well look at that the mysterious lubriplate finally made a showing. :lol:

Titomars 03-04-2015 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7075339)
One of the SNL guys for a number of years.

Sorry that does not help. I have not watched SNL since the 70's.

Gregski 03-04-2015 01:26 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Second Speedometer Cable

3 Attachment(s)
on the way home from work today I decided to pop into O"Reilly's and pick up another speedometer cable, a different one from that junk I got at AutoZone, well they had one but it was the same exact brand, but [wait for it...] for $4 bucks more

So I hit NAPA auto parts and these guys showed they had THREE cables in their "system" well so I say to the guy I'll take the top one on the list the 61" one, he says I'll get you the last one on the list, I say what, why? he says look it's the exact same part number, I go but it says "Lower Speedometer Cable"

anyway sure enuff the $19 dollar "Lower Speedometer Cable" he got for me is the full length cable like my old two piece cable together

just sharing this ordeal with you as you gotta look out for yourself, since nobody cares more about your truck than you do

by the way that poor quality Pioneer speedometer cable from AutoZone is 80 inches long (too long folks wants to hug and melt on the exhaust pipe)

Gregski 03-04-2015 01:42 AM

the new NAPA speedometer cable fits the speedometer like it should, so I took the truck for a test drive (private road)

I ran it one way at 70 MPH and the other way at 80 MPH

then the truck died

I swear I ought to write a column called "Adventures of a Man and His Old Truck"

what happens next is comedy on wheels

naturally I am right in front of a No Parking Any Time sign and a fire hydrant staring right at me with a shadow grin as if to say now what you gonna do looser?

so I recon once again I am out of gas, so I push him to the curb and run/jog home (one mile)

I jump in my other car, take kid to karate, hit a gas station, go to Rusty

ah good I got here before the cops, no ticket, poor 2 gallons in him, he fires right up, I pull in to the closest parking lot, and leave him there so I can take my other car home

get home in other car, jump on sons bike, ride to get rusty (looking like a circus gorilla on one of 'em tricycles)

throw bike in bed of truck, out of breath, jump in the cab all sweaty, HE WON'T START, what the monkey tails is going on Rusty?

if there is one sound I know now, it is the sound a vehicle makes when it has no fuel, I am all like dude, I just pored 2 gallons down your throat, where did it go

check see through (newly installed mind you) fuel filter - empty / dry / de nada

crank a few more times, nothin, remove the air cleaner (I don't know why, guys who know what they are doing do it all the time, so monkey see monkey do, hee hee)

walk around truck see dark puddle on ground right about the area where the transmission crossmember connects to the frame rails on passenger side (don't even say it)

darn, I got a fuel leak - and no tools in the truck

ride sons bike back home - its dark by now

time to get him from karate, ride to get him

hit NAPA to get a tow strap, NAPA closed early, they are getting new floors put in

hit Pep Boys, closed too

hit O'Reilly's get tow strap

Race home...

Honey, honey, have you ever towed a truck before? wanna learn?

well my beloved is a natural, she towed me and Rusty home, and we only broke the 5,000 lbs 25 foot yellow tow strap once

Gregski 03-04-2015 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7075274)

LMAO, that made snot come out of my nose, so darn funny, didn't know you had it in ya Rich

Motherfrog402 03-04-2015 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7075394)
the new NAPA speedometer cable fits the speedometer like it should, so I took the truck for a test drive (private road)

I ran it one way at 70 MPH and the other way at 80 MPH...

....walk around truck see dark puddle on ground right about the area where the transmission crossmember connects to the frame rails on passenger side (don't even say it)

hit NAPA to get a tow strap, NAPA closed early, they are getting new floors put in

hit Pep Boys, closed too

Race home...

well my beloved is a natural, she towed me and Rusty home, and we only broke the 5,000 lbs 25 foot yellow tow strap once

I think a few of us have had that happen once or twice...or three times. Good news is it's probably an easy fix.

Speedo cable...don't know what to tell you there.

y5mgisi 03-04-2015 04:42 AM

Dang it!

rich weyand 03-04-2015 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7075396)
LMAO, that made snot come out of my nose, so darn funny, didn't know you had it in ya Rich

Yeah, my friends all call me Mucinex. ;-)

Hey, now that you have the speedo cable and the lubriplate, a little note. If the speedo cable is crushed to a .104 square on both ends, the cable can go in the housing either way. You know how a screw pump works, right? Put the cable in so that the "screw" of the cable, when it spins in forward, pumps toward the transmission. Otherwise excess speedo cable grease and anything (like tranny gear lube) that gets into the cable gets pumped up into the back of the instrument panel.

Chaplain 03-04-2015 08:51 AM

Incredible...

greg64 03-04-2015 10:49 AM

"We're leaking gas?
We are now.
What, you thought you needed another challenge or something?!"

Too bad about the breakdown, Greg. I'm guessing the fuel line got nicked when you were screwing around with the transmission crossmember.

Buy hey, you were up to 80 mph for a while there! Which makes me wonder, with an SM465, how many revs was the engine turning over?

Gregski 03-04-2015 11:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7075627)
Buy hey, you were up to 80 mph for a while there! Which makes me wonder, with an SM465, how many revs was the engine turning over?

Couldn't tell ya, the tachometer was on my desk back at home, LOL. Getting that installed whilst upgrading my gauge cluster to a 1978 model may be part of MARCH MADNESS, stay tuned.

I am also interested in what it does at a highway cruising speed, I forget what miles per hour something like 70 or 75 where you check how fast it's spinning, know what the heck I am talking about?

enaberif 03-04-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7075394)

I ran it one way at 70 MPH and the other way at 80 MPH

then the truck died

I swear I ought to write a column called "Adventures of a Man and His Old Truck"

what happens next is comedy on wheels

naturally I am right in front of a No Parking Any Time sign and a fire hydrant staring right at me with a shadow grin as if to say now what you gonna do looser?

so I recon once again I am out of gas, so I push him to the curb and run/jog home (one mile)

I jump in my other car, take kid to karate, hit a gas station, go to Rusty

ah good I got here before the cops, no ticket, poor 2 gallons in him, he fires right up, I pull in to the closest parking lot, and leave him there so I can take my other car home

get home in other car, jump on sons bike, ride to get rusty (looking like a circus gorilla on one of 'em tricycles)

throw bike in bed of truck, out of breath, jump in the cab all sweaty, HE WON'T START, what the monkey tails is going on Rusty?

if there is one sound I know now, it is the sound a vehicle makes when it has no fuel, I am all like dude, I just pored 2 gallons down your throat, where did it go

check see through (newly installed mind you) fuel filter - empty / dry / de nada

crank a few more times, nothin, remove the air cleaner (I don't know why, guys who know what they are doing do it all the time, so monkey see monkey do, hee hee)

walk around truck see dark puddle on ground right about the area where the transmission crossmember connects to the frame rails on passenger side (don't even say it)

hit Pep Boys, closed too

Race home...

Seriously.. Anyone who is a backyard mechanic or works on vehicles has had this happen at least once or twice! :lol:

Chaplain 03-04-2015 11:29 AM

In old news, I checked this morning. Small reservoir, big tubing, rear brakes on my truck.

greg64 03-04-2015 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7075639)
Couldn't tell ya, the tachometer was on my desk back at home, LOL. Getting that installed whilst upgrading my gauge cluster to a 1978 model may be part of MARCH MADNESS, stay tuned.

I am also interested in what it does at a highway cruising speed, I forget what miles per hour something like 70 or 75 where you check how fast it's spinning, know what the heck I am talking about?

Greg, what rear gears do you have, and what size tires? I'm now curious what RPM the engine was at, and I'll calculate it.

I like that tach.

Gregski 03-04-2015 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7075672)
In old news, I checked this morning. Small reservoir, big tubing, rear brakes on my truck.

Thank you Chap, do you recall which chamber is in the front and which one is in the rear?

Chaplain 03-04-2015 12:06 PM

Small chamber at the rear.

Gregski 03-04-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7075695)
Greg, what rear gears do you have, and what size tires? I'm now curious what RPM the engine was at, and I'll calculate it.

3.42 - I am pretty sure

235/75 - R15 on the tires