The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-27-2016 12:39 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

5 Attachment(s)
well my mission should I choose to accept it

... honey can I borrow your toothbrush

Gregski 03-27-2016 12:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
gentlemen last question I swear before I go transferring all that dirt and grime off the frame and on to my pretty self, ha ha

can I / should I drill some 3/8ths or bit bigger holes in the lowest part of the lip on this cross member both front and back to properly drain out all the oil, coolant, and gosh knows what else that loves to accumulate there, or will that cause any structural harm?

enaberif 03-27-2016 02:00 PM

drill away you will be fine.

Gregski 03-27-2016 02:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so got the Passenger lower motor mount off, took a bit of doing first to excavate the nuts of these bolts to get our 9/16th socket on them, second to get under there to hold the bolt head and prevent it from spinnin'

Gregski 03-27-2016 02:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and the anatomy of a dirty Passenger side upper and lower motor mount, both top and bottom sides

rusty76 03-27-2016 04:27 PM

Your crossmember looks ten times cleaner than mine. Lol

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7537306)
Your crossmember looks ten times cleaner than mine. Lol

bro, I know what you mean, I've been cleaning it a little at a time for almost 2 years, lol

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well guys and gals, The Greg wants to get that motor in this truck as soon as he can, that's why he is pushing so hard

under the premise of an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, I decided to cover as much of the engine bay and cab as possible with some thin (pronounced easy to work with) 2 mil plastic, to keep the crud that the wire wheel was going to spit out from sticking to my [ahem] patina, lol

hey, when I pull this plastic off you won't be able to see through it, I guarantee it

decided to dull up the sharp hinges to keep my own eyes in their sockets and keep the plastic from tearing

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
no hon, I have NOT seen your old comfy black gym shorts, what would I be doing with your black shorts... where did you say you left them... in the garage?

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
alright, let's start a wheelin'

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7537173)
drill away you will be fine.

and we have drainage, Git 'er done!

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
maneuvering around the proportioning valve and the brake lines is proving to be a chore even with them unbolted from the frame, will have to come up with some sort of solution quick

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
cleaned the passenger side motor mounts - noticed there is a slight difference between the passenger side and the driver side, the passenger side has the nut welded to the mount, the driver side does not

one clean set of mounts and one still dirty

did they paint with that black tar back in those days, I swear that stuff was allover these babies - and it's a dirt magnet!

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
got the first motor mount in the paint booth for a coat of primer, I know it's silly not to paint them both at the same time, but I just had to break the monotony of wire brushing gunk off of things, I'm sure you'll understand

Gregski 03-27-2016 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and I went back to wire wheelin', I just had to clean the motor mount bolts as they were so grimmy you could barely get a wrench on them, not ACCEPTABLE

once cleaned, I shot some clear on them to prevent them from rusting (hopefully that will work)

needless to say I care more about the engine bay than the cab, hee hee

Fun Level: 2.6

flashed 03-27-2016 08:34 PM

Dang dude ,you work fast .

Crcrft78 03-27-2016 09:18 PM

LOL I love your backyard paint booth C-clamp parts holder.

Gregski 03-27-2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crcrft78 (Post 7537630)
LOL I love your backyard paint booth C-clamp parts holder.

keen eye my friend, custom fully adjustable mind you! and you have no idea how many times I spent an hour looking for that stupid C clamp in the garage, lol

Gregski 03-28-2016 12:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
so I decided to remove the engine cross member support brackets (not sure what they are officially called) after all, and I'm glad I did as there was a ton of stuff to clean up back there

just making a note that the thick washers go on top of the bolt

Gregski 03-28-2016 12:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
not sure you picked up on this detail from my support bracket anatomy schematic, but one of the bolts had the washer on the bottom and not on top like the other three

see the bolt in the bottom right hand corner

maybe this is important, or maybe Sally the GM assembler was having a bad day, ha ha

Gregski 03-28-2016 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Note To Self: Don't use your leg as a vise when wire wheelin'!

Second Note To Self: Please reset Beers without Injury counter to Zero!

Gregski 03-28-2016 03:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
set up the Summer paint booth configuration and made some hangers out of the wives coat hangers (remember the metal ones?)

seems like I am making more of these every couple months, I wonder where they are all ending up?

Gregski 03-28-2016 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
it was FREEZING when Polar Bear Garage opened today - ha ha

Gregski 03-28-2016 03:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
got the driver side engine "bracket" (that's what LMC Truck calls em) cleaned up and primered, so the part that bolts up to the engine block is a bracket and the bottom piece that bolts up to the frame is actually the engine mount or motor mount as I prefer to call it ~ there learned something

borrowed that white barrel from Walter White, seemed like a very nice fellow

Gregski 03-28-2016 03:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and then it was back to the grind, wire wheel a little, vacuum a little, aka rinse, lather, repeat