The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

mzsigler 11-20-2016 05:46 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Seat Cover

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7773180)
so I was thinking of re covering my bench seat this winter when I spotted this in the LMC Truck catalog, $900 dollars for a seat cover? Have they lost their minds?

and don't tell me that's because it is leather, cause it is not at least not 100% of it

Yeah I'm looking to redo my seat too. I'm actually thinking of just buying new foam and some material and having my girlfriend do it. Luckily she's super into anything related to sewing, so I think I'm going make that her project :o

Gregski 11-20-2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mzsigler (Post 7773446)
Yeah I'm looking to redo my seat too. I'm actually thinking of just buying new foam and some material and having my girlfriend do it. Luckily she's super into anything related to sewing, so I think I'm going make that her project :o

um two things:

1. have you seen the price of seat foam its astronomical

2. does she have a sister? jk

mzsigler 11-20-2016 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7773448)
um two things:

1. have you seen the price of seat foam its astronomical

2. does she have a sister? jk

This site is actually fairly reasonable. It's just going to be a big slab but she actually used to work in a furniture factory cutting foam for cushions.

RIGHT?

mzsigler 11-20-2016 06:07 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Oh, I suppose I could actually include the link to the site I'm talking about. I have no idea how good they are, I found them here and saved the link to my bookmarks because I knew I would be needing them.

http://www.foambymail.com/outdoor-fo...-cushions.html

mzsigler 11-20-2016 06:09 PM

Oh, I suppose I could actually include the link to the site I'm talking about. I have no idea how good they are, I found them here and saved the link to my bookmarks because I knew I would be needing them.

http://www.foambymail.com/outdoor-fo...-cushions.html

harley87ta 11-20-2016 11:55 PM

Looks like the fabric or vinyl upholstery is more reasonably priced

TKCR 11-21-2016 02:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7773180)
so I was thinking of re covering my bench seat this winter when I spotted this in the LMC Truck catalog, $900 dollars for a seat cover? Have they lost their minds?

and don't tell me that's because it is leather, cause it is not at least not 100% of it

The vinyl one is way less expensive and looks great.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=73

blazer2007 11-21-2016 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I tried doing my own with my mothers old sewing machine and watching some u tube videos. Sailrite upholstery supplies has a good video on doing a truck bench seat.It was actually quite easy.Here is a picture of my first try on my old car.

SCOTI 11-21-2016 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 7773102)
I actually got free same-day delivery on two orders so far. I think both must have been in their Ft. Worth distribution center, which is approx 65 miles from me. Prime has other benefits, too, which we are just starting to use.

There is also a Summit Racing distribution center coming to our area next year, which means next day delivery or free pickup. And the facility will include a 32,000 sq ft (!) showroom/store. Can't wait.

This also means state sales tax on everything.....

MikeB 11-21-2016 12:19 PM

Had a guy quote me a ballpark price of $800 to make a close copy of my original 1982 cover. That price includes installation and any MINOR repairs to the seat. I've used him before and he does very nice work. He has a Chevelle with seemingly (seamingly?) perfect copies of OE seat covers and carpet he sewed up himself. He hates pre-made covers because he usually has to modify them.

Another guy who does decent work quoted me the same price. But he's got a "price creep" reputation, where a $350 job becomes $450, etc.

Gregski 11-21-2016 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 7773824)
The vinyl one is way less expensive and looks great.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cc/full.aspx?Page=73

thank you that looks great, I could live with that, did you mount it yourself?

TKCR 11-21-2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7774127)
thank you that looks great, I could live with that, did you mount it yourself?

Yes I did. I have been starting a new hobby of restoring bench seats. I have a Thread in the "Parts" section of the forum.

Will206 12-02-2016 04:16 PM

This thread is all the way on page 3 these days... damn the holidays! :P

Gregski 12-02-2016 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Will206 (Post 7784893)
This thread is all the way on page 3 these days... damn the holidays! :P

Apologies ha ha, truck doing truck things

Gregski 12-02-2016 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up 2 of these roller tool cabinets, cause whats better than shelves?... DRAWERS!!! For all my junk

Were on Veterans day sale for about $200 each so there went my November truck budget, ha ha

Gregski 12-02-2016 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scored a 12 foot black laminate counter top with no silly back splash for $95 to complete a make shift work bench using those two cabinets

vht 12-02-2016 06:48 PM

Love this thread. I bought one of the LMC covers for my 84, if I ever get that far. Bought carpet, and a headliner kit. Bought the dye to redo my door panels and some other stuff. If I have a problem with the seat, there is a guy close to me I'll take it too. He done a complete interior for a friend of mine on a 34 ford for $1350. He's done several for him and does a amazing job. The guy on here that does them really does a nice job and is very reasonable. If it wasn't for shipping that seems to keep going up. Keep up the great work on the truck, look forward to seeing any updates.

Gregski 12-03-2016 04:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I know this isn't truck work, but if I aint organized I just can't think straight, so this was my make shift portable (house to house) workbench with drawers solution

don't be fooled the garage looks clean because I moved all the crap to the other side to take the pic, ha ha

that stain in the middle of the floor is complement of my old steering box, gosh darn power steering fluid is nasty stuff it ate through the topper wear bin it was in

Gregski 12-03-2016 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so now I can literally have a drawer full of Holley carb bits (and my truck still don't run right, ha ha) all in due time though all in due time

Gregski 12-06-2016 12:40 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Christmas in December

4 Attachment(s)
so I visited my buddy Big Al and found out he had not one but two step side beds he was looking to git rid of, both was from 1975 he thought

one was an orange CHEVROLET kind in really good condition, the other a GMC one with a gaping hole in the floor for a trick spare tire setup Al was working on but abandoned the build

since Rusty is a pure bread GMC, guess which one I opted for

but hey for $100 bucks who can complain?

Gregski 12-06-2016 12:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
lemme give you a little walk around, so you can git better aquainted

now I know what you is a thinkin', other than that small scratch on the passenger side wheel well (which by the way will totally buff out) this thing is mint!

and I concur

Gregski 12-06-2016 12:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the metal is actually nice and solid, no rust holes, and its all there, well other than the rotted floor, and the missing one or two 2x4s going across where the hole is, ha ha

SkinnyG 12-06-2016 12:48 AM

SAWEET!

My Spidey sense says you need to take 14" from behind the cab, and 5" at the end of the frame rails.

Jeramy 12-06-2016 12:48 AM

i wouldn't even bother fixing a scratch that small. only noticeable if you know where to look.

Gregski 12-06-2016 12:50 AM

5 Attachment(s)
well shoot, lets pop that tailgate open and take a peak inside, shall we

it didn't take me much time at all to transfer all the leaves, dirt, and mud from the bed and on to the garage floor!