The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   Bagged Ratrod 1 Ton Dump Dump Truck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=560314)

BornTooLate 01-12-2013 12:09 AM

Bagged Ratrod 1 Ton Dump Dump Truck

My first post, new to these forums but a long time chevy truck fan. I just purchased a 69 c30 dually flatbed dump that has been residing for the past 40 years on a farm about a mile from my house. it has a 292 with a four speed and a twin piston dump flatbed on it and only 27k original miles. i am planning on slamming the truck to the ground with airbags and giving it a flat black with pinstripe paint and some other "rough around the edges" rat rod accessories, I was wondering if anyone has any experience or info on lowering and air bagging a one ton, mainly what to do with the six inch thick leaf pack in the back. I've seen a lot of info in this forum on the front end but couldn't find anything about air bagging a rear end that had leaf springs. If I'm wrong and the subjects been discussed please just direct me to the thread. Thanks!

67ctener 01-12-2013 12:41 AM

Re: Bagged Ratrod 1 Ton Dump Dump Truck

Better start a build thread sounds cool
Posted via Mobile Device

hugger6933 01-12-2013 01:07 AM

I"m not much on the lowered truck thing or the airbag thing but I can enjoy the work that goes into making it happen for somebody or the craftsmanship to build something different. I say welcome to you from eastern parts of Arkansas, there are lots of nice ladies and men that are very knowledgible about chevy trucks and are willing to help someone out. I own a bodyshop and hang out here and there in that part of the website. Jim

BornTooLate 01-12-2013 01:17 AM

Its great to get some friendly responses right off the bat. Ive mostly owned lifted vehicles. And have been in the offroading scene since I had my licence. This slammed ratrod is definitly a different direction for me but I wanted to do something different with this truck. Does anyone know if there is any info on airbagging leaf spring suspension? Id just cut the leafs do an axle flip and call it good but the ability to raise the truck over tnhe frost heaves, speed bumps, and other misc. road hazards in New England would be a must.
Posted via Mobile Device

special-K 01-12-2013 08:35 AM

Welcome to the board from Maryland. I'd say your answers could be found in the 73-87 message board better than here. Reason being,all trucks after '72 were leaf and also,many slammed Duallies happening these days.

JointTech 01-12-2013 08:52 AM

pics or it didnt happen

BornTooLate 01-12-2013 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this beauty up, cant wait to get started on it. Ill post updates as I go!!
Posted via Mobile Device

lolife99 01-12-2013 08:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the board.
I fixed your picture.

Rusbuilt 01-12-2013 09:11 PM

Welcome! As far as the leaf pack you will most likely need to convert it to 4 link.

Tinkermc 01-12-2013 09:16 PM

let me be the first to welcome you and your new toy to the forum. Show us pics of your progress

BornTooLate 01-13-2013 07:23 PM

Lolife thanks for straightening that out for me, not sure why my phone did that haha. Thanks for the welcoming! Im thinking the more I read that four klink is the best way to go, ill keep posting as I go along.
Posted via Mobile Device

BornTooLate 12-18-2016 08:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't been on the site for a couple years, I bought a hous, got married, and have a newborn baby boy so the truck has been kind of on the back burner. Here are a couple of more updated pictures of the rig and with small modification here and there. The 22.5 tires are on the back with the custom made adapters, I have the 2" exhaust stacks and a few other small add ons. I hope to get working on this thing quite a bit more in the next month or so as I he been driving it nonstop for the past 3 years with no back up vehicle and couldn't tear into it as far as I'd like.

special-K 12-18-2016 10:40 AM

There's a solution to low HO72 gears!

BornTooLate 12-18-2016 10:42 AM

Haha that was the idea boosted my top speed from 45mph to 70mph!

LockDoc 12-18-2016 10:54 AM

-
Welcome back!

I have a '67 C30 dually that I'm thinking about changing over to coil rear springs with trailing arms. I would install a trailing arm center crossmember and C20 trailing arms with heavy duty coils. I'm not doing it for lowering purposes, just for ride improvement, but it would make it real easy to bag. I can see where the 4 link would be better for a bagged truck and might not be much more work. I don't know if you plan on doing a transmission swap but here is a thread I posted on putting a GM NV4500 5 speed overdrive trans in a dually.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=673588

Keep us posted on the progress when you start on it....

LockDoc

Mollzyie 12-18-2016 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Friends shop down here in Miami
HardkoreChoprodz ..... Really really good dude .

Attachment 1601131

yuccales 12-18-2016 12:19 PM

Good old rig you got there. Keep that Bolens running, your boy will be out mowing sooner then you think! :metal:

hugger6933 12-18-2016 02:29 PM

Welcome back and awesome rig. I have a 71 C-30 sitting in front of my shop I have not even moved it in over a year[time flies by, you will see when you look at your boy real soon and he is a grown man]I did sell the flat bed off of it cause mainly the guy would not leave me alone about it, But it is on the list of trucks to do and I do plan on something I wish I could find a decent dump set up for it.

special-K 12-18-2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornTooLate (Post 7798845)
Haha that was the idea boosted my top speed from 45mph to 70mph!

Redneck overdrive! Let me do the math. The 16" tire dia. was 31 +/- and the 22.5s are prolly at least 36", so take the difference, divide that into................
and the percentage is...er...mmmm...it's...uh... Way Better!!

I'm wondering why this thread got moved to Heavy Haulers. The OP just updated his 4 year old thread. It's a C/30.

LockDoc 12-18-2016 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7799003)
Redneck overdrive! Let me do the math. The 16" tire dia. was 31 +/- and the 22.5s are prolly at least 36", so take the difference, divide that into................
and the percentage is...er...mmmm...it's...uh... Way Better!!

I'm wondering why this thread got moved to Heavy Haulers. The OP just updated his 4 year old thread. It's a C/30.

I was wondering that myself....

LockDoc

Boog 12-19-2016 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mollzyie (Post 7798893)
Friends shop down here in Miami
HardkoreChoprodz ..... Really really good dude .

Attachment 1601131

Shades of the truck in Fast n Furious ?

special-K 12-19-2016 09:27 AM

I get more of a Slow and Happy vibe