The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   rear window trim ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756002)

panhead59 01-30-2018 06:07 PM

rear window trim ?

I know there are two different widths of the groove on front/rear windshield trim. I have some trim but don't know which one it is. Anybody have a measurement of the two widths that goes into the rubber seal? Mine looks to be 1\/2-5/8".

LockDoc 01-30-2018 08:44 PM

Re: rear window trim ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by panhead59 (Post 8174194)
I know there are two different widths of the groove on front/rear windshield trim. I have some trim but don't know which one it is. Anybody have a measurement of the two widths that goes into the rubber seal? Mine looks to be 1\/2-5/8".

The deep trim and shallow trim windshield and rear window gaskets look the same on the outside and the years will interchange as long as you have the correct gasket for the trim you have. The ’71/‘72 shallow trim has a 3/8 lip on it and uses the shallow groove gaskets, and the ’67/’70 deep trim has a 5/8 lip on it and uses the deep groove gaskets. In my experience the gasket with the deep trim is easier to install..... Put the gasket on the glass, then put the trim in the gasket, and install as a unit. You may have to put a few strips of masking tape around it to hold everything together until you are ready to install it.

I wouldn't buy the repo trim. From what I read it doesn't fit too well and makes the windshield almost impossible to install.

LockDoc

panhead59 01-30-2018 08:48 PM

Thank you sir That's just what I needed to know

randy.powell 01-31-2018 07:08 AM

So I've been chasing the issue "why doesn't aftermarket windshield trim fit" for a long time? So - I have 2 sets of oem windshield trim, placed them next to the aftermarket trim, and guess what. The curvature on the aftermarket crap is nowhere close to the oem trim. Especially on the upper long piece! If I knew how to post pics it would be very easy to see why the aftermarket crap continues to be such a nightmare for everyone. With the way it's formed, there is no way it will flex to get it to fit properly.

You can see easily what I'm talking about by taking the long upper piece and placing it on the cab where it goes (before seal and windshield are put in place). No wonder it doesn't work!!!

I've compared the 67-70 trim, 71-72 trim both aftermarket and oem and the results are the same!

Don't waste your time and money. Find the oem trim...
B/R,
Randy

CC69Rat 01-31-2018 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Aftermarket crap here.. it just takes patience.

Rufas 01-31-2018 11:33 PM

I just went through this last weekend with the trim on my front windshield. After installing/removing the windshield four times I said screw it!

I have a trimless gasket (Precision) on order and hope to install the windshield again this weekend.

BTW window trim was from LMC and is pure C&@P!

CC69Rat 01-31-2018 11:44 PM

Trimparts 67-70 trim, precision gasket + KY .. Yes, KY jelly around the pinch weld and cab. Also, ky in the windshield part of the gasket grove. NOT the trim grove of course. Qtips work nicely to get it into the grove the windshield sits in. The key being the glass has to shift around a little in the gasket as you rope it in. If it's not able to move it will bind, roll under, and pops the trim loose on the corners.

I wouldn't call it easy still,.. but KY helps a bunch. Its water based too, no issues with petroleum based lubes, spray soap you cant control, it won't drip all over your dash. Try it..

cj847 10-30-2021 01:26 PM

Can anyone confirm that the rear window stainless trim from a factory rear slider is the same as for the solid glass? Thanks.

Jblackie47803 10-31-2021 03:00 AM

Me buying KY jelly at the pharmacy: It's for my windshield, I swear.

LockDoc 10-31-2021 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj847 (Post 8990090)
Can anyone confirm that the rear window stainless trim from a factory rear slider is the same as for the solid glass? Thanks.

I can't remember for sure. It's been too long. If it uses the same gasket it would use the same trim.

LockDoc