The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 06-29-2016 08:09 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

4 Attachment(s)
also cleaned the door crusty locking latch the best I could with it still being on the truck ie in the door, some scrapping with a flat screw driver followed by a steel brush and some denatured alcohol and brake cleaner and then some chain lube and finally some white lightning grease

to be honest whichu all though the door still aint aligned perfect what used to take two attempts to shut the door now takes no effort at all, before after the first attempt I could pull on the door and it would open 1 inch every time, I have no idea how that worked, ha ha, but than on the second time it would shut proper, try telling your teenage kid that sequence of operation and you get, never mind dad I'll ride with mum, ha ha

Gregski 06-29-2016 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok I ain't sure how accurate this iPhone GPS based Dynolicious app is but here's some numbers fer you all

0-60 in 7.06 seconds (pronounced respectable)

1/4 mile in 14.70 seconds at 97.7 MPH (we can do better)

116.5 MPH Top Speed (don't tell the wife)

hatzie 06-29-2016 09:21 PM

Looks like that door has been mis-aligned for a while.
I read somewhere about someone using ABS tubing to replace the plastic sleeve on the striker pin. Can't find it now...

enaberif 06-29-2016 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7639277)
Looks like that door has been mis-aligned for a while.
I read somewhere about someone using ABS tubing to replace the plastic sleeve on the striker pin. Can't find it now...

3/4" Pex tubing from the hardware store for the striker pin. You have to buy like 8 feet though LOL.

hatzie 06-29-2016 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7639365)
3/4" Pex tubing from the hardware store for the striker pin. You have to buy like 8 feet though LOL.

Oh well. If he's replacing the pin anyway it should have a spacer on the new one.

harley87ta 06-30-2016 01:13 AM

I used 1/2 inch pex recommended from another site. 3/4 may cover the pin better I have a gap around the pin, but I haven't had a problem with it.

Gregski 06-30-2016 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7639342)
I wonder if that door has a crack in the jam where the hinge bolts on. I discovered that situation on my sagging door...after I did all of the same things you are doing.

you're saying look for a crack in the door or in the cab?

and I am still trying to wrap my mind around those square holes in the hinges are they supposed to give us some manuverability in door alignment, I tried pushing the door all the way outward from the cab and didn't know what the hewk that did, than I did the opposite and pulled the door in tight inward towards the cab in those square holes and again had no idea what that did, LOL

how risky is it to remove the hinges from the cab and start all over from scratch, would removing the front fender be the proper way to align these doors, if my grandpa was a car guy I'm sure that's how he would have taught me to do it, start from the B pillar aka an imovable object and work my way forward to the front of the truck

Gregski 06-30-2016 01:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 7639384)
Oh well. If he's replacing the pin anyway it should have a spacer on the new one.

yup, but please tell me these guys be kiddin' with those prices

$70 bucks for two bolts

twcoley 06-30-2016 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Those strikers you are looking at from Classic Parts are Stainless and are show grade pieces

peabobble 06-30-2016 08:21 PM

Mine was cracked on the door side also. Welded it with a crackerbox and small rod. Would have been better with a decent welder (machine and operator) Not pretty since I hadn't welded in a few years, but passable with a little grinding and paint.

hatzie 06-30-2016 09:03 PM

I learned to weld using Oxy MAPP. TIG is still the easiest of the electric welding methods for me.
I have a real tough time stick welding sheet metal.
You can get a pretty decent new 110v Lincoln or Miller MIG new for under $400. They aren't good for anything but sheet metal work but they are real nice for that.

If you can find one... the small 21A 220v Lincoln SP-175 Plus is a very nice machine. I bought one about 10 or 15 years ago for around $380. The only difference between the SP175+ and the 175T is the 175T has 5 preset heat ranges and the 175+ has continuously variable heat. They cost within $15 of eachother when they were being sold new. You will not find another MIG in that class with that feature.
I used the common old Hubbell NEMA L6-30 Twist Loc plug with 10ga THHN wire in EMT conduit rather than an outlet for the NEMA 6-50R dryer plug that it shipped with. 50A is a bit of overkill for a device that draws 21A worst case... Now it's value added to have at least one NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage for electric cars. My value added is that I can run my TIG on it. LOL

Gregski 07-04-2016 06:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so my 12 year old front tire decided to separate on our way camping luckily right before the last exit with a tire shop in the middle of the forest mind you, yes we was in the right lane as we was loaded up with a bed full of gear and a kayak strapped up top

the tire never really blew just went totally bald, so we limped along for about a mile

so bought two Bridgestone Wranglers (since that's all they had in our size aka 235/75 15" rims) for the front so now all four corners are new though the fronts don't match the backs

the only casualty was the inner fender which got totally caught in the spinning tire and mangled, time to hammer it out and re paint it again

Thanks to the nice guys at Sierra Nevada Tire & Wheel shop for hooking me and my son up, and allowing us to make it out to the camp site in time for dinner, ha ha

Gregski 07-04-2016 06:32 PM

4 Attachment(s)
made it there, nothing was going to stop us, lake was full so were the beer coolers

Truck Camping is Still the Best!!!

last pic: Camping Manual

hatzie 07-04-2016 06:33 PM

Good lord. 12 years is twice what you're supposed to get out of tires. Those are just plain dangerous.

Gad you didn't have a more exciting incident.

deejaaa1 07-04-2016 08:56 PM

hopefully those Trendsetters don't set the trend for the future.

Gregski 07-04-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaaa1 (Post 7643609)
hopefully those Trendsetters don't set the trend for the future.

LOL, no doubt, they came with the truck, would not have been my first choice

squarebody_43 07-04-2016 11:03 PM

looks pretty sweet love the old gmcs :gmc2:

Gregski 07-06-2016 10:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know it aint much but I am happy to report my new speedo finally hit 1,000 miles

anyone whos built or rebuilt an engine knows racking up the miles is a good thing

daddyjeep 07-06-2016 10:56 PM

Cool, if you've made it this far you are good to go.

Gregski 07-07-2016 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Recently posted Rusty's Second Dyno Test results in a thread of its own, please check it out.

Gregski 07-09-2016 10:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
more parts showed up

- Davis Unified Ignition, DUI Cross-Fire H.E.I. distributor cap and rotor (this allows you to run the even 2-4-6-8 plug wires on the passenger side and the odd ones 1-3-5-7 on the driver side and eliminates the crossing over)

- New oil pressure sending unit

- New digital volt meter gauge (honestly just added that to the Summit order to put me over $99 bucks to get free shipping, ha ha)

Gregski 07-09-2016 10:56 AM

Well gosh darn it, tested the resistance of the new oil pressure sending unit and it tested same as the old one, popped it in, and the gauge still don't work, it still reads 00

Can the gauge be broken if it reads 00, I mean it's on so it is getting power and a good ground

Gregski 07-09-2016 10:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
just testing / playing with the new Summit digital volt meter gauge

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:14 PM

4 Attachment(s)
man I aint too impressed with this there CrossFire distributor cap, seems like all they done did was soldered some wire inside the cap to re route the contact points (except #1 and #4) and covered it up with black goop, ha ha

now don't get me wrong we paid moneyz for this contraption so yes we will give it a go

see fer rerself fellers and truck ladies

Gregski 07-09-2016 03:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so lets compare the standard OEM GM HEI distributor cap (on the left) to the DUY CrossFire one (on the right)