The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Jake Wade 10-08-2015 08:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Good job, just wanted to say, that job is very doable without dropping the rear of the lower control arm.

Chaplain 10-08-2015 10:35 PM

Thumbs up...Dramatic change. How did your control arm bushing look and how do your leaf spring bushings look?

Gregski 10-08-2015 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7335001)
Thumbs up...Dramatic change. How did your control arm bushing look and how do your leaf spring bushings look?

Thanks, great questions, and I didn't even look on purpose, but I know they are the original ones so that is a project down the road. Before today I was planning on getting drop spindles. However with todays results I may no longer opt out for those. So originally the bushings were gonna get done then.

I am happy to report that the new shackles for the rear leaf springs came with new bushings so at least those will be taken care of. And I just checked LMC Truck and oh my are those leaf spring eye bushings really $17 bucks each and we need 4 total of them? wow pricey

Jeramy 10-08-2015 11:05 PM

moog part # sb335 cost you the same . you can pick up at a local part store and will save you shipping cost.

acdelco part number is 45g15300
gm part number 468481

and truck looks great

Chaplain 10-09-2015 07:45 AM

Keep up the good work.

Gregski 10-09-2015 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeramy (Post 7335036)
moog part # sb335 cost you the same . you can pick up at a local part store and will save you shipping cost.

acdelco part number is 45g15300
gm part number 468481

and truck looks great

Thank you mate, really appreciate the detailed info

Jeramy 10-10-2015 09:45 AM

happy to help. it is also one of the things needs to be done to my truck lol

Gregski 10-10-2015 10:06 AM

Captains Log: SOL 1,878 [ahem] Saturday October 10th 2015 Anno Domini

Owe seven hundred hours - the Natives are still asleep, it's quiet, too quiet I don't like it... jk

Going to do the rear today. Going to install the new 2" longer leaf spring shackles to lower the rear of the truck. Might need to "notch" the bed rail as some of youz pointed out. Notching means cutting out / making a hole / making room for something to slide in or fit. We shall see, but coffee first

Gregski 10-10-2015 12:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and so it was time to do the rear, I swear I spent more time erecting the house of cards base to make the jack reach higher than to do the actual job, ha ha

below you see what we are up against, note the OG shackle in the lowest and highest positions and how it clears the bed rail (aka the 2x4 that holds the bed floor up)

Gregski 10-10-2015 12:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a bit of PB Blaster juice on the old bolt threads and they came out pretty easily, I think I got to use my 13/16th wrench for the first time in for ever

Gregski 10-10-2015 12:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
with the old shackle off we it was time for some Speed Dating (as we introduced the old mature part to its new wet behind the ears replacement, ie Stare and Compare Time

I am going to ball park the measurements as

Old Shackle - 6" tall

New Shackle - 8" tall

again the camera angle makes the new one look like 9", I really need to learn how to take better photographs [ahem] sorry Millenials I meant pics

Gregski 10-10-2015 01:03 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so we knew going in that we may have to notch the bed rail, and yep looks like the new shackalaka won't clear it by a mile

Gregski 10-10-2015 01:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
ok, time for ... as the self proclaimed master mechanics on reality TV say ... [wait for it] ... A MOCK UP !!!

I am glad I mocked it up with the nut and bolts in cause I would have cut a notch way too narrow otherwise, so that's a Top Tip for you

would you believe me if I told you that cut is straighter than it looks? yeah me neither, no seriously it aint that bad

Gregski 10-10-2015 01:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
alright with the bed rail out of the way, lets see how me did

... not bad... not bad at all

HEY ITS A TRUCK!

Gregski 10-10-2015 01:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
ok and here it is all done with the leaf spring back in - bolts need to be tightened to 90 foot lbs, but my torque wrench only goes up to 75

Gregski 10-10-2015 01:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here's what it looks like up in there with the wheel back on and the truck sitting on the ground

I must admit I am a bit disappointed, as the preliminary measurements show a new height of 31 5/8 so not even a 1 inch drop, man that's a lot of work for an inch

mcmlxix 10-10-2015 06:08 PM

I know its too late, but an axle flip kit would have gained more drop without cutting the bed crossmember...

Gregski 10-10-2015 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 7336844)
I know its too late, but an axle flip kit would have gained more drop without cutting the bed crossmember...

You are correct, but the ones I've seen at 6" would give me too much drop. Also according to LMC Truck they require cutting and drilling your frame to install the C-Notch brackets. So either way you're cutting something, so I picked the lesser of the two evils. ha ha

SkinnyG 10-10-2015 07:27 PM

You don't ~have~ to do a c-notch.

I did, since I tend to carry loads, but with a notch, the bed floor sits on the pumpkin before the notches really show their value. I'm not convinced it was worth the effort on my truck.

The flip kit, though - totally worth it!

Jake Wade 10-10-2015 08:12 PM

If you are not where you want to be in the rear, you can always do hangers for the front side of the leafs.

Gregski 10-10-2015 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7336961)
If you are not where you want to be in the rear, you can always do hangers for the front side of the leafs.

Yep Jake, looks like I may be headed that way.

Gregski 10-10-2015 08:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
so knocked out the other side

Gregski 10-10-2015 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
notch on this side, and done

brakenit 10-10-2015 08:59 PM

I'm curious, did you tighten the shackle/leaf spring bolts with the weight of the truck on the suspension? If not it's possible it's keeping the truck from settling and that's why you didn't get as much drop as you should have.

Gregski 10-10-2015 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brakenit (Post 7337011)
I'm curious, did you tighten the shackle/leaf spring bolts with the weight of the truck on the suspension? If not it's possible it's keeping the truck from settling and that's why you didn't get as much drop as you should have.

Hmmm no the wheels were off and the axle was supported by the jack, let me run out there and loosen stuff up, thanks

Nope that wasn't it, I loosed up the bolts took the truck around the block, jumped a few speed bumps, and no change, I recon the shackles were perpendicular to the ground already so that's as long as they are going to get