The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Seat belt question??? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=385403)

wwotr 02-06-2010 08:16 PM

Seat belt question???

2 Attachment(s)
Attached are a couple of pictures of my Current Seat Belt set-up in my 72 GMC Short Fleet. I guess the 1st thing I noticed is that ALL of the Aftermarket Seat Belts offered, look NOTHING like what I have. :waah:
The Interior will be re-done in a Silver, so I'm looking for Belts in a Gray Color.
So is what I have, actually "GM FACTORY" seat Belt?

I'm looking for a DIRECT BOLT-IN (Like shown in the pictures here),
in a Gray Color. I'm NOT interested in the 3 Point-Harness Systems offered. I'm looking for a Retractable in Grey.
I'm also going from a Bench Seat to Leather Bucket Seats/Center Console.
If anyone has any Belts lying around in Gray that would work for my application, I'd be interested in Hearing from you!
If theres any Links/Vendors that I don't know about (Besides)
LMC
Brothers
Classic Chevy
Year One

That carry these, please let me know.
;)

I'm open to aftermarkets, I'm just trying to stay away from a non-retractable belt, where it flops around or just lays on the seat.

Dingfodgy 02-06-2010 11:13 PM

Re: Seat belt question???

Personally, I don't recall ever seeing any factory setups in grey...but that certainly doesn't mean they aren't out there. I have a black set I'm not using if you're interested.

wwotr 02-06-2010 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dingfodgy (Post 3785012)
Personally, I don't recall ever seeing any factory setups in grey...but that certainly doesn't mean they aren't out there. I have a black set I'm not using if you're interested.

THANKS DING!
I'll keep it in mind, but I'm gonna try and locate/Buy a pair in Gray, even if they're Aftermarkets. I'm not opposed to Aftermarkets, I was just trying to get a "Retractable Set in Gray". If I can't, then I'll go with just a "Plain Set" that's NOT Retractable, in Gray, (as a last resort) ;)

Fitz 02-08-2010 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwotr (Post 3784573)
I'm looking for a DIRECT BOLT-IN (Like shown in the pictures here),
in a Gray Color. I'm NOT interested in the 3 Point-Harness Systems offered. I'm looking for a Retractable in Grey.
I'm also going from a Bench Seat to Leather Bucket Seats/Center Console.
If anyone has any Belts lying around in Gray that would work for my application, I'd be interested in Hearing from you!

I have a set of Grey retractables that the PO put in my 67 stepside. I'll PM pics this evening.

71blksuper4x4 02-08-2010 11:37 AM

s10 seat belts up til 94 when the switched body styles I believe work well if your not a big guy. There were guys putting those in years ago. Trevor

wwotr 02-08-2010 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz (Post 3787816)
I have a set of Grey retractables that the PO put in my 67 stepside. I'll PM pics this evening.

Fitz,

PM sent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:metal::metal:

71blksuper4x4 02-08-2010 04:36 PM

I guess I am confused on what you are wanting? The green set you have is a factory correct set of seat belts. You are wanting retractable like what you have. The only retractable part is the outside "male end belts." There were no retractable belts in the center of the seat and they will always lay on the seat. The factory didn't ever make a grey seat belt in 67-72, though 67-68' Fawn color is probably the closest to gray. The 73-74 Chevy truck belts might have a gray, but the retractable covers are different in them years, but would still bolt up though they do have the same buckles. Besides possibly finding a set of 73-74' belts, your closest bet is the Fawn color, otherwise, you will not find gray seat belts that look close to your belts. Good luck, but you might be better off finding a set of aftermarket with a shoulder belt. All other reproductions I have seen are either that style or an aircraft latch style with non retracting belt. Trevor

wwotr 02-08-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3788309)
I guess I am confused on what you are wanting? The green set you have is a factory correct set of seat belts. You are wanting retractable like what you have. The only retractable part is the outside "male end belts." There were no retractable belts in the center of the seat and they will always lay on the seat. The factory didn't ever make a grey seat belt in 67-72, though 67-68' Fawn color is probably the closest to gray. The 73-74 Chevy truck belts might have a gray, but the retractable covers are different in them years, but would still bolt up though they do have the same buckles. Besides possibly finding a set of 73-74' belts, your closest bet is the Fawn color, otherwise, you will not find gray seat belts that look close to your belts. Good luck, but you might be better off finding a set of aftermarket with a shoulder belt. All other reproductions I have seen are either that style or an aircraft latch style with non retracting belt. Trevor

Trevor,
Yes in a perfect world, that is what I wanted, would be the
"Male Retractable" in a Gray Color, but I also figured that if it WAS even made at the Factory, it would cost me an "Arn-and-a-leg" to purchase them!

I have seen the Aftermarket Retractable Seat belts and I'm not at all opposed to them, (as long as they Mount using the Same Location/Hardware).
I will get Aftermarket "Aricraft Style Lap Belts In Gray", and wont even consider the 3 Point Retractable Set-ups I've seen avaliable via Aftermarket.:devil:
They look like CRAP to me (IMO).:metal:

dk1972 02-08-2010 09:35 PM

you could just dye them

wwotr 02-08-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dk1972 (Post 3788906)
you could just dye them

Sorry, but I'll buy Lap Belts before I "Dye" anything.

Been there...Done that.....NEVER AGAIN.:devil:

cdowns 02-08-2010 09:50 PM

are you looking for a purely cosmetic application or are you looking for something that is going to hold you in place in case of a crash?

most belts of any type that are over 10years old will be a hit an miss as far as reliability in a crash situation . there is a shelf life here// dying does nothing to enhance the structural integretity of an old belt

if safety is your concern new is best betr in a crash

that's why all the main racing orgs have date coded belts and the normal safe lifespan for racing is about 3years and they are a far superior product than original equipt.

wwotr 02-08-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 3788949)
are you looking for a purely cosmetic application or are you looking for something that is going to hold you in place in case of a crash?

most belts of any type that are over 10years old will be a hit an miss as far as reliability in a crash situation . there is a shelf life here// dying does nothing to enhance the structural integretity of an old belt

if safety is your concern new is best betr in a crash

that's why all the main racing orgs have date coded belts and the normal safe lifespan for racing is about 3years and they are a far superior product than original equipt.

Good info!

Zoomin 02-08-2010 11:35 PM

Check out this site.

They do restorations and re-webbing.

wwotr 02-08-2010 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 3789274)
Check out this site.

They do restorations and re-webbing.

Bet your Booty, I bookmarked THIS Site and have already sent them an e-mail with my Seat Belt Set-up attached to it!

Thanks Zoomin!

71blksuper4x4 02-09-2010 12:41 AM

You may or may not faint hearing back from Snake-Oyl, although they are pretty good.

wwotr 02-11-2010 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71blksuper4x4 (Post 3789427)
You may or may not faint hearing back from Snake-Oyl, although they are pretty good.

Yea I think I'm going to have to CALL them.
I've sent 3 e-mails in 4 Days and no answer yet.

Has anyone in this thread USED SSnake Oyl for any of their services/Products?

71blksuper4x4 02-11-2010 07:39 PM

Someone did, and I believe it was around $400-500 bones to redo the whole set.

70c10 02-11-2010 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have used Protocol brand from ebay on a few trucks with great success:metal: Just type in retractable seat belts and you will find them very affordable. They have light gray and dark gray;) Here's mine:chevy:

wwotr 02-12-2010 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70c10 (Post 3795570)
I have used Protocol brand from ebay on a few trucks with great success:metal: Just type in retractable seat belts and you will find them very affordable. They have light gray and dark gray;) Here's mine:chevy:

Interesting!?
I looked on ebay under "Protocol" and found nothing, but the Belts by "Auto Loc" look exactly like what you have pictured.
There $49.95 a pieece, but if I buy the "Snake Oyl" Brand theirs run about $54.99 a piece and look almost identical to what I have. I WILL keep your post handy though, because its been 5 days and 4 e-mails to Snake-Oyl and NO RESPONSE.
They look like they have a great product, but if they don't respond, I cant go a lot further.
Also these Auto Loc Belts say "Not SFI-Approved" and that makes me a little leary.:devil:

ohsocountry86 02-12-2010 03:06 AM

I checked out that ssnake oyl products and was gonna order some seatbelts but i dont know what length does anyone know what stock length is ?

wwotr 02-12-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70c10 (Post 3795570)

Jim,
How was the installation on your Truck and what year do you have?:uhmk:
It looks exactly like mine and they DO have some in "Silver".:metal:
I also found a company that has retactables that are identical looking to yours, and their wanting $49.99 a PAIR and FREE SHIPPING!!!:devil:

The only thing, is they don't mention anything about meeting Federal Saftey Standards.

ohsocountry86 02-12-2010 06:30 PM

Was wondering what company that was? Do you have a link? Thanks

wwotr 02-12-2010 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohsocountry86 (Post 3796961)

Is THIS what your looking for?

look on ebay under "Auto Loc".
Their $49.95 a piece, but if I buy the "Snake Oyl" Brand theirs run about $54.99 a piece and look almost identical to what I have.

Also these Auto Loc Belts say "Not SFI-Approved" and that makes me a little leary.

wwotr 02-13-2010 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohsocountry86 (Post 3796961)

PM SENT!:devil:

ohsocountry86 02-13-2010 02:21 AM

Thank you