The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Earthquake nor calif (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=821528)

kwmech 05-07-2021 12:39 AM

Earthquake nor calif

Just had a nice shaker here, went on for about 15-20 seconds. Not coming up on USGS yet. Anybody else in NOR Cal feel it

68bowtie 05-07-2021 01:44 AM

Re: Earthquake nor calif

Didn’t feel it but I got the alert. 5.1 near Truckee.

franken 05-07-2021 02:24 AM

I give it a four... ;)

yuccales 05-07-2021 07:51 AM

Didn't feel it, but the power went off for a bit last night. Probably a coincidence.

Boog 05-07-2021 07:58 AM

Truckee huh. John Force fire up one of his race cars? Just kidding. I hope ya'll don't have any damage out there.

Ol Blue K20 05-07-2021 09:28 AM

I got the alert but didn't feel it. I need to call and check on my cabin...

FleetsidePaul 05-08-2021 04:22 AM

I'm in central CA. I didn't feel it. Good thing because I pee my pants in earthquakes. :ack:

weq92f 05-08-2021 10:10 AM

A bucket list item of mine that will likely never be fulfilled...experience an earthquake.

You all are so fortunate!

-klb

Stocker 05-08-2021 11:48 AM

I have felt only two earthquakes, one at home (no damage) and one while driving (that one was kinda freaky). Did not notice the one at Truckee.

1976gmc20 05-08-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weq92f (Post 8918442)

A bucket list item of mine that will likely never be fulfilled...experience an earthquake.

-klb

Experienced a bunch of them during the two years I lived in Alaska. None were too serious but a couple sure got my attention.

Woke up early one morning feeling terrible dizzy and thought I must have gotten some sort of stomach sickness. Then I heard the windows rattling and thought with relief: "Good, it's only an earthquake!" :lol:

Another evening I was sitting alone in a great big house (everybody else had gone out somewhere and I needed some alone time) and a big diesel truck came up the driveway. I looked out the window and there was nothing there! Then the hanging lamps started swaying ;)

FleetsidePaul 05-08-2021 02:09 PM

Quote:

-klb

Negative. They are scary as sheet. At least the big ones are.

I've been through a couple where I had to change my shorts. :ack:

If the house is rockin.. Don't bother knockin. Just RUN!!!

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...earthquake.jpg

CG 05-08-2021 02:59 PM

An earthquake isn't like a thrill ride, its more like a feeling of helplessness. I've been in a couple of large quakes in the greater Seattle area. Nothing that I can think of that equates to it.

Richard2112 05-08-2021 05:38 PM

I've experienced a few small quakes, enough to cause a cloud of dust to come down from the dropped ceiling and the lights to flicker. Wasn't a fun ride.

Ol Blue K20 05-08-2021 07:50 PM

Earthquakes are a fact of life here. But, it doesn't mean I like them!

72c20customcamper 05-08-2021 08:00 PM

We've had a few over the years . Nothing large just a rumble you can hear coming and then some vibrations .

Steeveedee 05-08-2021 09:24 PM

I've been through the Sylmar and Northridge quakes, 11 and 5 miles from their respective epicenters. Shaking and quaking I could live without.

GOPAPA 05-09-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8918684)
I've been through the Sylmar and Northridge quakes, 11 and 5 miles from their respective epicenters. Shaking and quaking I could live without.

Couple years ago I was in a town north of you Los Olivos and felt a small earthquake ,,it was a few seconds long .. it was probably a everyday one for you who live in the area .. I assume you felt it where you live

kwmech 05-09-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeveedee (Post 8918684)

Same here, I was born in North Hollywood and grew up in Van Nuys. Yes, used to cruisn' on the blvd. Moved up to Nor Cal couple a few decades ago..I can live without it also. Feb 9 1971 was my first experience at the young age of 12 will never forget that, being tossed around for almost a full minute on the second floor of a 50s built apt building. NO thank you

Stocker 05-09-2021 12:29 PM

My first one, I was sitting on the living room floor and my son walked across the room.... I thought, I know he isn't that heavy... then I noticed hanging lamps were swaying a bit.

Second one was on the coast north of Eureka CA. We were driving down 101 and it felt like driving over steel grate bridge decking, kinda side-to-side squirrelly.
Felt like we might have had a tire problem or hit some weird pavement.... found out later there had been an offshore quake.

Hope I never experience a big one like some of you have.

FleetsidePaul 05-09-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stocker (Post 8918870)

We were driving down 101 and it felt like driving over steel grate bridge decking, kinda side-to-side squirrelly.
Felt like we might have had a tire problem or hit some weird pavement.... found out later there had been an offshore quake.

I had a similar experience. I had this crummy electric company car that had been nothing but problems. I went with my boss to Ikea to get some hot dogs. Believe it or not Ikea has some cheap really good hot dogs. And my boss liked to eat. And he was cheap.

We were pulling in the parking lot and the car started jumping around.

Now I'm getting ticked off and calling the car a P.O.S.

Then my boss says "No. It's an earthquake!" And I look out the window and see the cars and trees shaking in the parking lot and people running out of the building. I missed that one. I was too busy cussing out the car. :lol:

1slo64 05-09-2021 03:34 PM

Quote:

-klb

I experienced one here about 16 years ago when I was in middle school. It happened in the middle of the night, I can remember being woken up by the china cabinet downstairs rattling loudly and my computer shaking.

GOPAPA 05-15-2021 01:32 PM

Here are the larger earth quakes I have Felt

1949 April 13th Olympia Earth Quake 6.7 I have been in a few earthquakes and the first one was when I was 5 years old ,,that one broke our chimney off at the roof line and turned it out of square. .My mom and I were next to the two story house when it hit and she took me and ran away from the house .
1964 March 27th Alaska Earthquake ( Anchorage ) 9.2 I was a sawyer in a sawmill In Oregon some ...1000 +miles or more from the center and it shook my two circle saws so bad when I ran the log through the saw ,, I had to shut the electric motor to the saws off.. I then found out by others as we ran out of the mill what has just happened.
2009 Feb26th 4.2 I was in Portland Oregon working that day in construction at a computer chip plant
2019 July 4th and 5th near Santa Barbara visiting our son and family at his home 4.2
2020 Mar 31st right here in Idaho at home 6.5 centered north of me some 200 miles in the Saw Tooth Mountains .

FleetsidePaul 05-16-2021 07:10 AM

My second wife worked in this really tall building in downtown LA. I don't remember how tall but it was one of the taller ones.If I remember correctly it was the tallest one. Big boy.
Every year. They would have a Christmas party. And book us a room in the hotel for the night. And it was always on something like the 40th floor or something. Waaay too high for me.

Nothing ever happened. But it bugged me. We were looking down at the roofs of some really tall buildings. And I thought "What if there's an earthquake? I know that they put those buildings on rollers to roll with the shaking but when you're up there. Eh. You start thinking about it. It's a long way down. What if a really big one hits.

But the only bad thing that happened was that they had horrible food and some really expensive beer that was awful. (At least it was free) And I had to go with my ex wife and behave myself. Which was no picnic. I hated those parties.

1976gmc20 05-16-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8921193)
My second wife worked in this really tall building in downtown LA. I don't remember how tall but it was one of the taller ones.If I remember correctly it was the tallest one. Big boy.
Every year. They would have a Christmas party. And book us a room in the hotel for the night. And it was always on something like the 40th floor or something. Waaay too high for me.

Nothing ever happened. But it bugged me. We were looking down at the roofs of some really tall buildings. And I thought "What if there's an earthquake? I know that they put those buildings on rollers to roll with the shaking but when you're up there. Eh. You start thinking about it. It's a long way down. What if a really big one hits.

But the only bad thing that happened was that they had horrible food and some really expensive beer that was awful. (At least it was free) And I had to go with my ex wife and behave myself. Which was no picnic. I hated those parties.

Well, at least a bunch of German terrorists didn't take you hostage ;)

Ol Blue K20 05-16-2021 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8921274)
Well, at least a bunch of German terrorists didn't take you hostage ;)

Bruce Willis went to the other party! :lol::lol::lol: