The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Jeep Trailblazer SS (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768482)

gottattooz 05-11-2019 08:13 PM

Re: Jeep Trailblazer SS

5 Attachment(s)
I got busy on the Jeep today. I bought a 74-78 Wagoneer grille because I like the turn signals in the grille instead of below the headlights. Plus I have some lighting ideas that don't work with the razor grille.

I removed the windshield, interior and the front clip. I'm in the process of removing the dash board as an assembly, and it's looking like it'll come out in one piece without cutting anything apart.

-Josh

Palf70Step 05-12-2019 07:37 AM

I am so interested in seeing this progress. Should be a good runner.

Ol Blue K20 05-12-2019 09:39 AM

Nice to see some progress. That's my favorite Wagoneer grill.

69gmcc10 05-14-2019 11:54 AM

Well, I'm in for the ride. Should be really enjoyable to drive when your done

gottattooz 05-16-2019 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I wanted the grille for. I bought 4 inch Jeep LED fog lights with a white and amber halo. The amber halo will be my turn signal and the white halo will be either parking or daytime running lights. I'm not sure if the trailblazer uses headlights for drl or a separate bulb like the Silverado. The trailblazer also came with fog lights, so those will still work as intended, except in the grille instead of the bumper.

-Josh

Palf70Step 05-16-2019 12:36 PM

Nice

Ol Blue K20 05-16-2019 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 8526599)
Nice

I agree those will be nice

gottattooz 05-26-2019 06:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy memorial day weekend. I tackled the dash removal. Trying to figure out the wiper motor situation. Trying to use the new motor with the old linkage.

-Josh

gottattooz 06-15-2019 08:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got around to cutting the firewall and floor pans off the Jeep, but discovered quickly my forklift wasn't long enough to lift the body off the frame. Going from the tailgate forward, it would teeter toward the driver's front corner. From the side, it twisted toward the tailgate. So, we bought a lift. I'm currently assembling it, and we still don't have power in the shop, but we have a lift!

Oh, and happy father's day weekend everyone.

-Josh

mongocanfly 06-15-2019 11:26 PM

nice!!!...it may be hard to keep the jeep body on the lift with it turned sideways...haha..
which model did you get...ive got the atlas 10k x-wide,x-tall...worth every penny..

gottattooz 06-15-2019 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8543081)
nice!!!...it may be hard to keep the jeep body on the lift with it turned sideways...haha..
which model did you get...ive got the atlas 10k x-wide,x-tall...worth every penny..

We got the atlas pro-9d. My dad and I are both 6'5" and most lifts only go to 6'2". The pro-9d goes 6'5 5/8". It sounds petty, but dad wanted it so he bought it.

-Josh

mongocanfly 06-15-2019 11:59 PM

mine is the OH-10X..they sure have gone up in price since I got mine..those lift measurements are with the adapters...I still have to duck under the lift arms

gottattooz 07-12-2019 11:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So it's been slow going, but we finally got power out to the shop last weekend. This weekend we're wiring up lights now. It won't be long until the Jeep progress resumes.

-Josh

gottattooz 07-14-2019 09:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And we have lift off! Dad and I finished wiring u the 220 to the welding plugs and the lift.

Obviously there's a lot of work to go before the body and trailblazer ever fit, but I couldn't wait to see how far off I am to setting the Jeep onto the trailblazer.

-Josh

69gmcc10 07-15-2019 08:57 AM

So excited to see this project moving along! Congrats on the garage upgrades

67ChevyRedneck 07-15-2019 02:13 PM

That floor looks incredibly clean (uncut??) Did it actually unbolt from the body???

gottattooz 07-15-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 8559027)
That floor looks incredibly clean (uncut??) Did it actually unbolt from the body???

I cut the floor and firewall out of the Jeep. I drilled all the spot welds of the trailblazer to systematically remove panels and braces. I have an idea on how to do what I'm attempting, but I don't know what I'm doing. The plan is to remove the remaining pieces of floor pan and leave the rocker panels in tact on the Jeep body. Then clearance the dash on the trailblazer to make room for the windshield frame and lower the body onto the trailblazer. Then I'll attempt to join the Jeep rockers to the trailblazer floor pan. Hopefully I can keep the trailblazer dashboard, but I might have to use the Jeep dash. It all depends on what fits where.

-Josh

gottattooz 08-11-2019 09:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I made some more progress on the body swap. I cut away all the excess floor pans so the wheel wells and rocker panels are flush. With the trailblazer underneath, I'm trying to resolve the clearance issues. The biggest hurdle right now is the fuel filler support. I'm hoping to roll the trailblazer forward, drop the back of the Jeep low enough for the fuel filler to clear the rear rockers via the fender wells and then roll the trailblazer backwards and then drop the front and see what lines up and what needs to be adjusted.

-Josh

mongocanfly 08-11-2019 10:06 PM

Progress..!!....2 post sure makes it easier dont it?!!...hopefully you have the gas tank removed while your doing all the cutting....dont need no boooms...

gottattooz 08-18-2019 11:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I had to remove all of the rear inner supports as well as the rear inner fender wells.

I know I've still got a long way to go, but it's getting closer!

-Josh

Palf70Step 08-19-2019 07:36 AM

:metal:

Ol Blue K20 08-19-2019 08:28 AM

It's looking like your going to get it to work..NICE!

gottattooz 08-24-2019 06:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I cut off the trailblazer core support and hung the Jeep front clip to center the front wheels in the fender wells.

In the back, I cut 6 inches out of the rear quarters. The rear has to come down another 6-8 inches. The front is about 8-10 inches. Dad and I were discussing fender flares.

I put the grille in for inspiration, took a picture and then set it back aside.

-Josh

Palf70Step 08-24-2019 08:11 PM

Looking good!

Are those 20" wheels? I think if you went with a smaller wheel, it would fit the wheel well easier and look at bit better. Might make your job easier too.

gottattooz 08-24-2019 09:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
They are 20's. I tried 17's and even 15's, but the offset is so bad, there's no way around it unless I put a 6 inch lift on it, and that's not the look I'm going for.

The factory 20's (without a tire on it) will probably go back on. I'm not a fam of the wheels that came with it.

The 17's would require a 1.5 inch spacer to change the bolt pattern which puts me in the same boat I'm already in, just with different wheels.

-Josh