The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=384900)

SCOTI 08-13-2020 08:01 PM

Re: Ok Boys and Girls it's Storytime

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8791644)
Well Guys I'm sorry for no response. I went to Tulsa the truck seemed to be running well considering the weather conditions. It was hot as Hell but that's the way it goes. I messed it up first round but it was a good thing I just didn't know it yet. I had been seeing a little metallic and magnetic granules of metal on my oil filter screen. Come to find out it was eating inner valve springs. I had to wait a week for a piece for my valve spring tool. When I pulled the #2 intake spring the inner spring ( triple spring ) it was broken in four pieces. Then I started looking at the valve. It was getting chewed up on the stem. So I had to pull the motor and pull the heads.Then I took them to Slick Rick's for a tune up.
I got the motor back together and thrashed to get it in and get the truck running. We went to one of the oldest tracks around to test last weekend to test. I made a couple hits but couldn't get down the track. I'm loaded and ready to go to Extreme Raceway Park (XRP) just south of Dallas Tx tomorrow.
We're just going to do a little testing then the goal is Bowling Green Kentucky at the end of the month.

What's the timing for Friday @ Extreme? Are they hosting an event or just a show-up & go thing?

regan wilson 08-13-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8791658)
What's the timing for Friday @ Extreme? Are they hosting an event or just a show-up & go thing?

Gates open at 6pm. It's all T&T as far as I know. 5.80 and other Index classes Saturday.Along with a Big Tire Class.

SCOTI 08-13-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8791681)
Gates open at 6pm. It's all T&T as far as I know. 5.80 and other Index classes Saturday.Along with a Big Tire Class.

Hhmm..... Sounds like a good opportunity to get out of the house!

regan wilson 08-14-2020 07:26 AM

Come on out then. I'm not doing anything exciting. I need to try some suspension tweaks and get some seat time. Just little wheelies and throttle stop runs. I'm planning on going to Bowling Green, Kentucky in a couple weeks.

SCOTI 08-14-2020 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8791855)
Come on out then. I'm not doing anything exciting. I need to try some suspension tweaks and get some seat time. Just little wheelies and throttle stop runs. I'm planning on going to Bowling Green, Kentucky in a couple weeks.

I haven't seen your truck run for several years so that would be cool to see it in action vs. reading the highlights. Plus, I haven't even been to a track for any action in over a year.

I'm just a spectator but I love going to the track & watching the variety of vehicles & efforts of racers. Stock appearing vehicles that really move out are just too cool & the track atmosphere is like returning to that favorite playground.

SCOTI 08-15-2020 02:23 PM

Didn't get to make it out there last night as my neighbor w/the Model A's needed some help w/a project we've been working on together. He's been rearranging his shop w/the pallet rack based decks like I did mine earlier this year so he has more room for working on the Model A's.

I'm going tonight though just because it's been too long since I've been to the track.

regan wilson 08-15-2020 06:02 PM

I made seven hits last night. That track is awesome to say the least.If you see little Red Thunderbird that's my buddy Eugene.I'll post pics later.

SCOTI 08-15-2020 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8792675)
I made seven hits last night. That track is awesome to say the least.If you see little Red Thunderbird that's my buddy Eugene.I'll post pics later.

Was wondering how the track condition was w/the current heats impact.

regan wilson 08-19-2020 08:15 AM

Just a pic from Xtreme. This is my old friends Thunderbird. I blew up my old 565 20 years ago side by side with this car in the lights at Hallsville Raceway.https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

regan wilson 08-19-2020 08:21 AM

Back in 2005 when I finally got the truck in the 8.90's in the 1/4 I blew up the timeslip on a copy machine. I put it in a big envelope and stuffed it with red feathers then mailed it to his Car Lot believe me it was hilarious. when I unloaded the truck the other day i found one in the floor of my trailer. I found it kinda odd so I had to send him a pic.LOLhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

regan wilson 08-19-2020 08:32 AM

I guess that's it for now. The truck seems to be healthy after all the unpredicted Cylinder Head issues. I have a bunch of work to do getting ready to pull out next week for Bowling Green Kentucky. I have to enter online so I'm going to wait till early next week so I can get a better weather prediction. I don't want to go that far to sit in the rain.

SCOTI 08-19-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8794647)
I guess that's it for now. The truck seems to be healthy after all the unpredicted Cylinder Head issues. I have a bunch of work to do getting ready to pull out next week for Bowling Green Kentucky. I have to enter online so I'm going to wait till early next week so I can get a better weather prediction. I don't want to go that far to sit in the rain.

That is a long drive.

regan wilson 08-25-2020 08:53 PM

Well it looks like too much rain in Kentucky. We're going to San Antonio instead. It's only supposed to be 102 on Friday

71Dragtruck 08-25-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8798050)
Well it looks like too much rain in Kentucky. We're going to San Antonio instead. It's only supposed to be 102 on Friday

102, yeah pass on that lol.

regan wilson 09-01-2020 06:55 AM

Well I got back from my adventure in San Antonio Sunday. We were supposed to test on Thursday at 1pm. That got moved to 4pm. I made two passes and the truck was running good right at 153 on the index. They had a Super Comp Dragster lose its brakes and run off the end of the track. That incident ended T&T for the evening. So we moved into the real Time Trials for the race on Friday. That came to a halt when Top Dragsters were pulling up chunks of asphalt on the top end of the track. The our Division Director decided to run us 1/8th mile. I'm going like how the hell do I do that? I run 7.60 to 7.70 on 10.90. The 1/8th mile index is 6.90. I went to bed and all I could think of was how in the hell I'm going to make this work. So I had to speed it up off the line and take a ton of numbers out of my throttle timer. Saturday morning we start over. I go 7.10 at 123 first pass. I made more adjustments and went 6.80 at 123.The 3rd and last pass I was 6.88 at 122. So maybe I can make it work!
The left lane was horrible so first round everyone stacked up in the right. My friend from Tyler Billy Hughes was behind me and he was the last guy I wanted to run. He has been tearing them up in the 7.0 class at Prescott Raceway in Oklahoma. Well they pull up next to me and I knew he would be tough. He was .023 on the tree and 6.902 I was .001 and was down there hard on the brakes for a 6.91 at only 115 to take .0078 of finish line for the Win. We got postponed again to run second round Sunday morning. What do I do wrong ? The sun was in my eyes and I got out of my routine. I go up there and stage but forgot to turn on my delay box. I went to deck the throttle and rolled the beams. I haven't done anything like that in 20 years.
Maybe I can do better at the Tx Motorplex Double Sept. 17th.

aggie91 09-01-2020 09:04 AM

Sucks about the second round, but the win against Billy sounds like a good tight race.

I remember him having a killer Camaro back in the day in Tyler. Cool to hear that both of you are still racing and having fun doing it.

regan wilson 09-13-2020 04:58 PM

Well guys I'm going to be at the Tx Motorplex Wednesday Sept 16th through the 20th. It's a Double Divisional race. Anyone attending come by and say Hello.

71Dragtruck 09-13-2020 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8807586)
Well guys I'm going to be at the Tx Motorplex Wednesday Sept 16th through the 20th. It's a Double Divisional race. Anyone attending come by and say Hello.

Good luck!

regan wilson 09-14-2020 06:07 AM

Thanks Monty. I'm leaving early Wednesday so can do some more testing. I changed my 4-link back to my old setup. I haven't changed it since the new front suspension was built. It works great wide open but I'm still having 60 ft issues on the throttle stop. I put more hit in it. And tweaked the front springs a little. It randomly wants to slip the right tire at the hit. Hopefully I get it to work right.

regan wilson 10-06-2020 07:47 AM

Well I haven't posted in awhile because there wasn't anything exciting to report. At the Ennis double race I made it to the third round then lit the old red bulb in the first race. Then lit it up again first round in the second race. I came home that Sunday and just left everything in the trailer. I was getting ready that Tuesday to head to Saint Louis. I rolled the truck out of the trailer and noticed my right Slick was low. I jacked it up and was rotating it around just to find a screw in it dead center. I'm like really two races on a new set? I made a few phone calls to make sure I could get a new set of Slicks when I got to St Louis. My Son in Law and I made the 10.5 hour tow up there and spent 3 more hours working on the truck. I wanted to test but I was too tired and wasn't springing $100 for a couple of passes. We had two time trials Thursday and we were done. I felt like they were pretty good I was close to the index at 154 mph. Long story short I ran the same guy first round in both races with the same result. He was .000 on the tree against me in the first round and .003 against me in the second. So we hung around Saturday and came home on Sunday. I have been doing alot of research on 4-link stuff. I worked on the truck this past weekend and made a big change. I leave Thursday for Noble Oklahoma and will test Thursday before all the official activities start on Friday. Then I come back next week just to leave Wednesday morning for the National Event at the Texas Motorplex for the last race of the year.

PS: I haven't posted much because I don't know if anyone even reads this thread anymore. My view counter id frozen at 99,466 and has been for a long time now. I've reached out to Moderators and nobody knows how to fix it.

SCOTI 10-06-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8818676)
Well I haven't posted in awhile because there wasn't anything exciting to report. At the Ennis double race I made it to the third round then lit the old red bulb in the first race. Then lit it up again first round in the second race. I came home that Sunday and just left everything in the trailer. I was getting ready that Tuesday to head to Saint Louis. I rolled the truck out of the trailer and noticed my right Slick was low. I jacked it up and was rotating it around just to find a screw in it dead center. I'm like really two races on a new set? I made a few phone calls to make sure I could get a new set of Slicks when I got to St Louis. My Son in Law and I made the 10.5 hour tow up there and spent 3 more hours working on the truck. I wanted to test but I was too tired and wasn't springing $100 for a couple of passes. We had two time trials Thursday and we were done. I felt like they were pretty good I was close to the index at 154 mph. Long story short I ran the same guy first round in both races with the same result. He was .000 on the tree against me in the first round and .003 against me in the second. So we hung around Saturday and came home on Sunday. I have been doing alot of research on 4-link stuff. I worked on the truck this past weekend and made a big change. I leave Thursday for Noble Oklahoma and will test Thursday before all the official activities start on Friday. Then I come back next week just to leave Wednesday morning for the National Event at the Texas Motorplex for the last race of the year.

PS: I haven't posted much because I don't know if anyone even reads this thread anymore. My view counter id frozen at 99,466 and has been for a long time now. I've reached out to Moderators and nobody knows how to fix it.

I get a notice every time you post in this thread & look @ the updates. The site counter apparently isn't working from what I've read on other posts. Sucks your last couple of outings went the way they did but I guess that's all part of it.

Hopefully the testing results are what you expect after the changes & there's no drama!

aggie91 10-06-2020 03:48 PM

Regan, I'm still here and check in every time you update. I am hoping to make things work out to head up to Ennis at least for the Saturday part of the race...If I show, I will definitely look for you.

regan wilson 10-07-2020 10:06 AM

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll see yall next week.

regan wilson 10-07-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8794642)
Back in 2005 when I finally got the truck in the 8.90's in the 1/4 I blew up the timeslip on a copy machine. I put it in a big envelope and stuffed it with red feathers then mailed it to his Car Lot believe me it was hilarious. when I unloaded the truck the other day i found one in the floor of my trailer. I found it kinda odd so I had to send him a pic.LOLhttps://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...080&fit=bounds

My friend Ken suggested that I put this feather in my ashtray for luck. After having no luck at all in three races.I burned it with brake clean with a video and sent it to my friend with the Bird.lol

71Dragtruck 10-08-2020 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by regan wilson (Post 8819248)
my friend ken suggested that i put this feather in my ashtray for luck. After having no luck at all in three races.i burned it with brake clean with a video and sent it to my friend with the bird.lol

lol.