The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-28-2016 04:00 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

3 Attachment(s)
but three hours later the passenger side was done

now I will probably go back and clean up that brake and fuel line, but the frame is as good as it's going to get, remember all you have to do is knock off the loose rust for POR15 you don't have to take it down to bare metal, so I think we've reached that goal

daddyjeep 03-28-2016 04:22 PM

Don't forget the POR15 metal prep since you went to bare metal.

rgunlock 03-28-2016 04:32 PM

Looking great, but what happened to all that carefully laid out plastic to protect your patina? Get in the way too much?

enaberif 03-28-2016 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7538541)

NO! This is a horrid misconception. POR15 should be applied to crusty surfaces not bare metal.

daddyjeep 03-28-2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 7538701)
NO! This is a horrid misconception. POR15 should be applied to crusty surfaces not bare metal.

That is correct...exactly why I recommend using the metal prep. The POR15 doesn't adhere well to clean metal without it.

y5mgisi 03-28-2016 08:17 PM

Gregski, when you adjusted the valves, you rotated the motor and adjusted them all individually when each cylinder was off of its respective cam lobes right? In other words, you didn't just adjust all of them without rotating the crank around right?

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7538788)
Gregski, when you adjusted the valves, you rotated the motor and adjusted them all individually when each cylinder was off of its respective cam lobes right? In other words, you didn't just adjust all of them without rotating the crank around right?

Get #1 to Top Dead Center

Exh. 1 - 3 – 4 -8​
Int. 1 - 2 - 5 - 7 ​

Get #6 to Top Dead Center

Exh. 2 - 5 – 6 – 7​
Int. 3 – 4 - 6 - 8​

Adjust until pushrod will not wiggle using your fingers and then add ¼ turn. Adjusting until push rod won't spin may give incorrect setting.

Only turn the engine 2 times. once for TDC #1 and again for TDC #6

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7538541)

Yes sir, done! I used my own coctail 1 part Phosphoric acid to 3 parts H20, works the same as their million dollar product.

Jake Wade 03-28-2016 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=

Adjust until pushrod will not spin between fingers and then add ¼ turn and tighten nut.[/QUOTE]

This last part is kinda confusing, unless you have poly locks, your sentence should end with "then add 1/4 turn"

I don't get the "and tighten nut" nothing else needs to be done after "add 1/4 turn"....unless you have poly locks.

Not trying to give you a hard time, I just want to make sure the Gregski has a successful start up!

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
the wind died down so I decided to paint the motor mounts and [ahem] engine brackets

I had some Cast Iron paint left over from the Paint Shootout that I did to pick the right hue for the engine, and this was the runner up - by Dupli-Color, practically looks identical

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I used a 1-2-3 punch combination on the motor mounts of Primer, Paint, and Clear.

Convinced myself to always use primer when I take something down to bare metal, and not to cut any corners.

Decided to clear these for extra durability.

now I normally don't like to cross polinate my paint brands/products, but the can of Dupli-Color primer went bonkers on me the last time I used it, it wouldn't stop spraying, it even kept spraying after I tossed it in the trash, LOL

plus this KRYLON Rust Tough primer is great, covers so well

didn't these parts turn out AMAZING!!!

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7538936)
This last part is kinda confusing, unless you have poly locks, your sentence should end with "then add 1/4 turn"

I don't get the "and tighten nut" nothing else needs to be done after "add 1/4 turn"....unless you have poly locks.

Not trying to give you a hard time, I just want to make sure the Gregski has a successful start up!

yeah, good call I plejurized that from here, LOL

TECH- A SIMPLE WAY TO ADJUST VALVES

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so glad I decided to remove these support brackets, check out what was hiding behind there

Gregski 03-28-2016 09:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
alright lets clean these rascals up

.... there that's better

Gregski 03-28-2016 10:03 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and three and a half hours later the engine cavity be done, wire wheeled, washed, cleaned, and prepped for POR15, now we wait for payday (cause we be broke), than buy sum POR15 and slap it on there hopefully this weekend

Gregski 03-28-2016 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 7538564)
Looking great, but what happened to all that carefully laid out plastic to protect your patina? Get in the way too much?

LOL, yeah gut stuck in the angle grinder once, (where did you mount the Go Pros in my garage bro?, or are you with the NSA, jk) no but seriously took them down after the first pass cause they were gray/brown and I couldn't think straight with that much dirt hanging around.

The entire day was spent like this, grind a little, vacuum a little, grind a little, sweep a little, grind a lot, vacuum a little, grind some more, you get the idea, it was more work to clean so often but I would crawl under the frame, and sit on the grand in the engine bay and I didn't want to crawl through piles of dirt so I would stop and clean every so often

Rob C 03-29-2016 11:05 PM

Awesome thread!!! Will help me tons on my 87. You guys sure got a ton of knowledge.. Keep up the great work Gregski! I've just made it to page 54 since getting off work. I can't stop...lol. Anyhow- lookin great

What's the next novel gonna be??

Gregski 03-30-2016 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob C (Post 7541107)
Awesome thread!!! Will help me tons on my 87. You guys sure got a ton of knowledge.. Keep up the great work Gregski! I've just made it to page 54 since getting off work. I can't stop...lol. Anyhow- lookin great

What's the next novel gonna be??

Wow, thank you so much for the positive feedback Rob, yeah the guys on here are very knowledgeable and willing to share what they know, great group of truck owners for sure.

LT7A 03-31-2016 04:52 AM

Good job man, this looks great! I like how you establish limits so the project doesn't run away with you. And your wallet. Awhile back you were talking about the freeze plugs you were skipping and said "I plan on regretting that later". Made me laugh. That's part of setting limits so the project moves ahead. And it is! I was surprised how many pages there were to read since I last checked in. Keep it up!

Gregski 03-31-2016 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 7542502)
Good job man, this looks great! I like how you establish limits so the project doesn't run away with you. And your wallet...

Hi, glad you revisited, and yes defining your scope is very important, and it's not easy, I don't like jobs such as this one, as I find myself spinning way too many plates at the same time, top end rebuild, paint the frame, paint the core support, rebuild HURST shifter, overdrive transmission swap, exhaust upgrade, rewire electrical, my goodness, I will be so glad when its all over.

I am at my best when I am focused, like when all I have to do is swap the rear window for a slider, there that will be it for that project then I will drink some beer.

After that I plan on doing the door hinges, again that will be it for that project, one and done (ok bad example cause there are actually two doors, so two and through, ha ha)

you get the idea, divide and conquer

blazer2007 03-31-2016 09:26 AM

be careful when you shake the spray bombs and drink beer at the same time,I,ve shook the beer and not the paint.LOL

Gregski 03-31-2016 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazer2007 (Post 7542628)
be careful when you shake the spray bombs and drink beer at the same time,I,ve shook the beer and not the paint.LOL

oh wow man, sounds like an occupational hazard, hope the beer was ok, ha ha

68post 03-31-2016 09:54 AM

"Alcohol abuse" ..we're all guilty at some point. (finally find that full one the next day just sitting where you forgot it ??)

Gregski 04-01-2016 12:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I didn't want to get paint on the brake lines nor the fuel line, so I used an old school trick, if you use aluminum foil to wrap those parts its much easier to remove it than blue tape, so here we go

Gregski 04-01-2016 12:29 AM

5 Attachment(s)
a pint of POR15 semi gloss ran me $30 bucks and half a pint would have been more than enough, the nice thing about paint that you get to brush on is that it really goes a long way

even started to tape off some nuts and bolts until I realized they will be hidden by the cross member support brackets, LOL