The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 06-08-2021 11:01 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen does this "brand new" Corvette Servo look brand new to you all, ladies as well

by the way the new large C clip was so rusted I ended up re using my old one (not shown in pics)

Gregski 06-08-2021 11:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so got the old servo out and sure enuff the piston was loose as a goose and the "new" one seems a little bit better

mandatory stare and compare:

Gregski 06-08-2021 11:07 PM

So Good News / Bad News

the Good News is my trans shifts better now

the Bad News is the stupid clunk sound is still there

LT7A 06-09-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8930400)
Gentlemen does this "brand new" Corvette Servo look brand new to you all, ladies as well

by the way the new large C clip was so rusted I ended up re using my old one (not shown in pics)

I don't know much about servos, but that red yo-yo looks like an antique.

Gregski 06-09-2021 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8930517)
I don't know much about servos, but that red yo-yo looks like an antique.

yeah, I wrote to the company that sold me that on Amazon, I like to do that as a courtesy before leaving negative feedback, and they wrote back and said yes it is new and that they were sorry about the poor quality and that they will talk to their "REBUILD" tech to have him do a better job

EXCUSE ME? rebuilt is not brand new, I did not want a rebuilt part! wth

blazer2007 06-09-2021 09:15 PM

Why do you beat yourself up by ordering from Amazon. I like my parts from a tranny shop or engine shop. I,m sure you have your reason,s but I got tired of that game. Getting old so don,t like to do it more than once but that doesn,t work sometimes either .

LT7A 06-09-2021 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8930520)
yeah, I wrote to the company that sold me that on Amazon, I like to do that as a courtesy before leaving negative feedback, and they wrote back and said yes it is new and that they were sorry about the poor quality and that they will talk to their "REBUILD" tech to have him do a better job

EXCUSE ME? rebuilt is not brand new, I did not want a rebuilt part! wth

Wow. A response like that basically writes the review for you. And for the post above, while I understand it, there are many legitimate companies that choose to use Amazon or ebay as their vehicle for online sales. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to tell them from people like this outfit until you get the part. Good luck man.

Gregski 07-20-2021 02:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
on this episode of "That's Cool, But It Still Aint Gonna Work" we try to solve a flat tire (but only on the bottom) with Windex

Gregski 07-20-2021 02:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
so the truck sat in the garage for 2 or 3 weeks while I slayed it in my '54 and painted our perfectly fine oak kitchen cabinets... white! [pronounced: no time to work on the truck(s)]

and the texter side front tire went pretty much all the way flat... on the bottom

I took it off rolled it around and usually I can spot a nail or a screw somewheres in the tread section right quick, but nothing this time, checked the valve and it was tight

so after coating it in Windex and no bubbles, I took it to our vegan environmentally friendly fluid dynamics station, and still couldn't see any bubbles, what gives?

is my Ex messing with me again !!! ha ha

swissarmychainsaw 07-20-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8947586)
so the truck sat in the garage for 2 or 3 weeks
bubbles, what gives?

Valve stem?

Gregski 07-20-2021 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swissarmychainsaw (Post 8947596)
Valve stem?

yup thought that as well, but it was tight and no bubbles from it

SCOTI 07-20-2021 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8947599)
yup thought that as well, but it was tight and no bubbles from it

Cap on or off when verified?

I've had more than one that when the cap was tightened all the way tight, it would inexplicably slightly compress the stem allowing air to purge. Different caps solved the issue. If you can't determine anything else, it might be worth dbl checking.

Gregski 08-26-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8722670)
I'd ask TKCR about it and read her bench seat thread.
This is post 143 of that thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&postcount=143
The second seat in that bunch would go well with your green interior.

Well I just sent her a message to see what she's got, I pretty much given up on having it re upholstered locally

Gregski 08-26-2021 05:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think the Ol' Lady wants me to wear gloves when I wrench, she went out and got me all of these

TKCR 08-26-2021 06:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8924611)
so a couple months back I took this bench seat to an upholsterer, and they had it for six weeks and did not do a darn thing all because they could not get one bolt out to separate the back rest from the bottom

Thought I’d jump in here and check out the situation with your seat, since you sent me a PM. I can do you up a fully restored seat, and it would be a tilting seat. I see that seat is a non tilt. I’m going to go back further to see what color your interior is, or are wanting to got to. But you asked about Black. But here are some pictures of all the 73-80 seats I have done.

Gregski 08-26-2021 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8963167)
Thought I’d jump in here and check out the situation with your seat, since you sent me a PM. I can do you up a fully restored seat, and it would be a tilting seat. I see that seat is a non tilt. I’m going to go back further to see what color your interior is, or are wanting to got to. But you asked about Black. But here are some pictures of all the 73-80 seats I have done.

thank you for the get back, I am not sure what a tilting seat is, but when I had my original bench seat in the truck before i took it out it did lean or fold forward so that you could put junk behind it

my interior is all black, and I am looking for an all black vinyl cover I do not want any velour or cloth

the dilema is such that I am in Kalifornia and you are in Ohio so the shipping cost would ruin everything if you were to do my seat

TKCR 08-26-2021 07:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8963184)
thank you for the get back, I am not sure what a tilting seat is, but when I had my original bench seat in the truck before i took it out it did lean or fold forward so that you could put junk behind it

my interior is all black, and I am looking for an all black vinyl cover I do not want any velour or cloth

the dilema is such that I am in Kalifornia and you are in Ohio so the shipping cost would ruin everything if you were to do my seat

The seat that you showed, the one you took to the shop and they could not get the screws out. That is a non tilt seat, it’s a fixed seat. There’s no way of it tilting forward. All the seats I showed in the post above, are tilting seats. The seat back tilts forward. Shipping/handling is $350 to ship anywhere in the US.
I can do an all Black Vinyl. They are fully restored. That’s the frame, tracks and all the hardware. I would highly doubt that upholstery shop would have touched your frame or tracks. They would have charged you $600-$650 to install a cover, and that’s it. I also replace any broken springs. I don’t just stick a block of foam in there, like I have seen done so many times.

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8963195)
The seat that you showed, the one you took to the shop and they could not get the screws out. That is a non tilt seat, it’s a fixed seat. There’s no way of it tilting forward.

I think you are right, now that I think about it, I think it just slid forward and back maybe 6"

are you saying $350 for a seat or just for shipping, sorry don't mean to be difficult that just sounds amazeballz, and yes shops quoted me $500/$600 for just a vinyl cover but they sow/make it not one that I would buy first

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
so off to the Shed Of Stuff... no [back] rest for the wicked! ha ha

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:26 PM

4 Attachment(s)
in order to disassemble the backrest first we must remove the 127 hog rings, carefully making sure each one is accounted for

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
then we gently liberate the cover from the foam, taking care not to tear it

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
then the foam can be removed from the frame, note how my foam is shot, hard to see in the pic but it looks like Godzila took a bite out of it on each side, I do have new(ish) foam for it

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
don't let the coax fool you, this is a wireless seat !

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
compared to the Titanic this frame aint even all that rusty!

Gregski 08-26-2021 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
this seemed like a good time to take a break