The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Hi guys 1971 c20 is what I have I need to know cheapest way to drop the truck it has (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765993)

Mike's71c20 06-20-2018 02:06 PM

Hi guys 1971 c20 is what I have I need to know cheapest way to drop the truck it has

My grandpa left me this truck when he passed away I have been working on it the last thing I need is exhaust and I want to drop it but I really don't know how I'm still brand new to working on these trucks so I was looking for the cheapest way to drop it because I ran out of money after the paint and chrome and all the other things that I bought for the truck I plan on doing it right way in a couple months after I get some more money but I just want a quick fix now so I can cruise it this weekend

Coley 06-20-2018 02:28 PM

Re: Hi guys 1971 c20 is what I have I need to know cheapest way to drop the truck it

Welcome to the website....a lot of great and useful information here.

So let's get this right.....you want to drop/lower your truck in time for the weekend?
Quick fix?....no immediate money or budget available for this.....Do I have that right?

I think you are largely out of luck....no quick fix, and certainly for no budget....unless you let some air out of the tires.

How much were wanting to lower the truck by?......2", 3"?.......5-6"?

Coley

Mike's71c20 06-20-2018 03:13 PM

Re: Hi guys 1971 c20 is what I have I need to know cheapest way to drop the truck it

Well I have some cash but I'm not going to c notch and air bag and all that I heard you can flip the leaf springs or something like that and cut or heat up th front springs?

Killer Bee 06-20-2018 03:24 PM

first off, a C20 doesn't lend itself to lowering as well as a C10..

my advice [even though you didn't ask for it] hang on to gramps truck for a little while as is and don't be too hasty to make serious mods yet..

there is a huge collector market and fan following of original trucks, so you can still be 'in' with a stocker..

do some research, save some money, and make sure what you're about to do is what you'll feel comfortable with down the road..

there's a mile long list of regret stories from older guys that were once in similar situations you're in..

10-20-30 years from now, you may better appreciate your grandfather's truck as he owned and drove it..

lowered C10's and abandoned projects are all over the place, maybe keep your working C20 to haul parts for a proper C10 project?

good luck with your decision!

btw, 2 demerits for no pictures, hint, hint ;)

GASoline71 06-20-2018 03:44 PM

That HD C20 leaf spring pack is way different than what was on leaf sprung C10's. Not real responsive to lowering. A flip kit requires cutting and welding spring perches onto the axle tubes. Not a quick fix to say the least. Trying to heat those front coils isn't as easy as you might think. The C20 front coils are about as thick as a roll of quarters...

Just drive it. Unless you swap everything over to C10 suspension you're into it for a more cash than its worth.

Gary

WhiteCST 06-20-2018 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just to add to the above, I paid $1200 for mine and it runs and drives well and is 90% complete. Easy to find a good cheap starter truck. In the end it’s your truck and your choice! We lowered my dads 78 C20 by removing leafs and adding a lowering kit.

truckster 06-20-2018 04:04 PM

Quick and cheap lowering? Drop the air in the tires to 10 PSI. Don't drive it too far like that. ;)

Grumpy old man 06-20-2018 04:15 PM

Mechanical , suspension , bodywork ,paint ,then interior and glass , instant gradification doesn't happen with these old trucks and if your on a budget plan on years...:smoke: