The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

enaberif 04-13-2016 03:09 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

That truck with flow 40s will be a basically weekend cruiser. The drone and noise coming out of it will be so obnoxious :lol:

rich weyand 04-13-2016 07:28 PM

That's what's on my DD. I like 'em.

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
no time like the present, lets make things green

pic 1 - primered

pic 2 - first coat (I was taught that the first coats purpose / job is to make things tacky, simple as that, so sometimes fellers don't even expect a color change when you lightly coat the first coat) just sayin'

pic 3 - second light coat

pics 4 & 5 - third coat a bit heavier

I think I went four coats on this, light, light, medium, medium, would have gone more but had many more parts to paint and needed the paint for them

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I shot this top panel at the same time as the core, so it was painted exactly the same way four coats, light, light, medium, medium

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this may be the best pic I have so far of the final painted core and the top panel

the message here is don't touch it, don't mess with it, and by all means DON'T LET THE WIFE RUN THE DRYER (cause it vents right into our organic paint booth, ha ha)

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7559688)
That's what's on my DD. I like 'em.

forgive me, but what's a DD?

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
with those two pieces out of the way, we moved on to the doo dadz

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:41 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and two more, I'm telling you there was a lot of small bits to this job

flashed 04-13-2016 09:44 PM

Looks good ,great color .

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
and finally the bottom panel, this piece is the one that actually should be green

I would be lying to you all if I didn't tell you that I was tempted to paint this one black, just to mess wichu all, ha ha

FYI, so this was shot with Singe Stage (no base coat and top coat, just one coat with base and clear mixed together, aka the cheaper alternative) OMNI product, the baby brother of PPG, factory paint code match, good stuff

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so glad that parts all over, and here's my reward... ~ PARTS ~

these are supposed to be the slide in plastic tabs that hold the plastic grill, not an exact match and it bothers me a bit, the originals are oval

if I have to order the other ones it won't halt progress so I'm cool with that

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
now this is where the Fun Level spiked to an all time high, the HURST bolt on sitck base arrived, and I couldn't be happier nor more proud of myself for doing this right and I will have a proper genuine HURST shifter to show for it, so happy

Gregski 04-13-2016 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
man the timing couldn't have been more perfect, the postman dropped off the Hurst parts as soon as I was done with painting, and although I was tired, I went right for it, had to replace that hockey slip-in base with the proper bolt-on type

here they are side by side with anatomies of both

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
then it was time to disassembly the stick itself, clean it properly by soaking the bits in Mineral spirits and cleaning them with a steel wire brush, and put it all back together with white lightning grease, man the action is so smooth on this baby now it's like a hair trigger, jk

love jobs like these, The Greg is so happy!

y5mgisi 04-13-2016 10:07 PM

Like!

68Timber 04-13-2016 10:24 PM

Great work as usual, can't wait to see the blacked-out trim out front of all the new green. About the Hurst shifter - were you kidding about it maybe hitting the dash?

Willowrun 04-13-2016 10:24 PM

I'm impressed with the green paint and the match to the original color. I have done the same (using factory paint code to get color matched paint in a spray bomb) with mixed results. Typically, it seems as if the paint out of the can sprays too porous so my results have varied. Do you mind explaining more about what you are using? Maybe a pic of the spray can? Time between coats?

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
we need to rebuild the actual Hurst shifter mechanism, but first let me take you back in time to show you how grimy she was when I bronged her home

so first we pop off the "dust" cover or the inspection plate, call it what you will, it lives below underneath the stick, and it was disgusting

daddyjeep 04-13-2016 10:33 PM

I like that you painted the parts that were "supposed" to be black body color. I'm anxious to see it all together.

DD = daily driver by the way.

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7559904)
Great work as usual, can't wait to see the blacked-out trim out front of all the new green.

Thank you kindly, me too, can't wait to see it either, but if it don't work out I have something else up my sleeve, stay tuned, it's crazy cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7559904)
About the Hurst shifter - were you kidding about it maybe hitting the dash?

honestly no idea, we shall see, the bendyness is way different than the stock stick as you can see

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 7559921)
I like that you painted the parts that were "supposed" to be black body color. I'm anxious to see it all together.

DD = daily driver by the way.

yes sir, did the same on the inner fenders, and I love how those turned out, it gives the engine more depth, focuses your eyes on the prize, otherwise you pop the hood open and you see a black hole, at least that's what happens in my minds eye, I've always dug the body color engine bays, and there are some super clean ones, but you all know that

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so yeah with that bottom plate popped off here's what we see or I should say can't see in there (you may wanna put your sumich down before scrolling down, ha ha)

I think I already hit it with some WD40 and started the cleaning process

Gregski 04-13-2016 10:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
like I said these are some old pics from the archives, ha ha but I think its worth sharing on how we got here, I am so excited to finally work on this shifter and hopefully soon be enjoying it

rich weyand 04-13-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7559813)
forgive me, but what's a DD?

Daily Driver.

rich weyand 04-13-2016 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7559870)
then it was time to disassembly the stick itself, clean it properly by soaking the bits in Mineral spirits and cleaning them with a steel wire brush, and put it all back together with white lightning grease, man the action is so smooth on this baby now it's like a hair trigger, jk

love jobs like these, The Greg is so happy!

If your shifter ever starts to feel floppy and rattles, those two bolts have come loose.