The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

rusty76 06-10-2017 07:45 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Looks cool. Glad to see an update on rusty.

harley87ta 06-10-2017 09:19 PM

I'm really liking the white letters out. With everyone running blackwalls it's a nice change to see. Plus the goodyears have a good look. I have two different brand tires on mine so letters out may look a little funny. But I may tempted to try it out after seeing yours.

st1 06-12-2017 06:16 PM

When I was a kid that was the style white letter tires. so when I got a car that is exactly what I got. Two at a time of course. Did it on my 78 too. Looks sweet against the black wheels. NICE!!!

GRAY GOOSE 07-19-2017 04:04 PM

Updates ?

Gregski 07-19-2017 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAY GOOSE (Post 7994934)
Updates ?

yes, on Fathers Day my passenger side black aftermarket mirror just broke off and fell off and a few days later my driver side snapped off on the freeway when I passed a Grayhound bus, so went back to the stock 40 year old chrome mirrors, they sure dont make things like they used to

Gregski 07-19-2017 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAY GOOSE (Post 7994934)
Updates ?

yes, we finally bought a house and moved AGAIN, I kid you not fourth house in three years, last night was the first night in the new house, Rusty did help in the move, a truck beats an SUV for loading and unloading things hands down

GRAY GOOSE 07-19-2017 04:32 PM

Bummer!!! Really enjoyed following along with this build. I am working on a 86 Custom Deluxe. Have finished everything except under the hood. Still debating on whether to replace the 305 or just drive it until it has to be replaced. Put everything back stock except lowered the front 2 inches with springs and removed 2 spring leaves in the rear. Just can't figure out how to post photos. Not real good at this computer thing. Love driving it most every week.

Gregski 07-19-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAY GOOSE (Post 7994952)
Bummer!!! Really enjoyed following along with this build. I am working on a 86 Custom Deluxe. Have finished everything except under the hood. Still debating on whether to replace the 305 or just drive it until it has to be replaced. Put everything back stock except lowered the front 2 inches with springs and removed 2 spring leaves in the rear. Just can't figure out how to post photos. Not real good at this computer thing. Love driving it most every week.

Cool, but I would dump the 305 and pull a used Vortec L31 350 from a 1999 Suburban and put a nice roller cam in it with a new intake manifold and a 650 cfm carb of your choice and enjoy the 300 hp

D13 07-20-2017 06:43 AM

Good to see rusty soldiering along. I was thinking about you yesterday - I spend 3 hours disassembling and cleaning the shifter for one of my A833's I'm going to sell. Removed half a cup of grease and dirt out of the guts, and whaddya know, it moves! Total cost so far $3 mineral spirits and one dentist supplied tooth brush (I use electric ones so the freebies become parts cleaners).
My little back brain was saying 'Gregski would approve your low buck approach here'.

blazer2007 07-20-2017 08:58 AM

would you happen to remember where your dash pad repair is

GRAY GOOSE 07-20-2017 11:05 AM

If you click on my avatar you can see what I started with. Don't know how it got there when I tried to upload photo of the Gray Goose when I bought it.

Gregski 07-20-2017 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D13 (Post 7995415)
Good to see rusty soldiering along. I was thinking about you yesterday - I spend 3 hours disassembling and cleaning the shifter for one of my A833's I'm going to sell. Removed half a cup of grease and dirt out of the guts, and whaddya know, it moves! Total cost so far $3 mineral spirits and one dentist supplied tooth brush (I use electric ones so the freebies become parts cleaners).
My little back brain was saying 'Gregski would approve your low buck approach here'.

LMAO yup, well done mate, but did you use any paper towels? And I can see you one day using the electric toothbrush on your truck and the manual on your teeth!!!

D13 07-20-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7995606)
LMAO yup, well done mate, but did you use any paper towels? And I can see you one day using the electric toothbrush on your truck and the manual on your teeth!!!

Actually used the last towels off the roll and had to pull some from the box of better quality Scott paper shop rags! Plus totalled 2 tee shirts.
ANd my old electric toothbrush, that only holds a charge for a day, is in line for use on my next motor project...;)

Titomars 07-20-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7994950)
yes, we finally bought a house and moved AGAIN, I kid you not fourth house in three years,

Damn Dude! You move as much as I normally do. Until my present location of 12 years, I never stayed in one place longer than 4 years. That includes growing up too. My parents moved every 4 to 5 years also. The 12 years in one place is only because it is work supplied.

Bennydog 08-01-2017 09:13 AM

Just got through all 211 page... only took a week or so.. What a ride. Great work on your truck, love the attention to detail and elbow grease cranked up to 11. Learned a lot from you and all the other posters. Wish you the best!

Bennydog 08-01-2017 09:22 AM

double post

Gregski 09-16-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennydog (Post 8004970)
Just got through all 211 page... only took a week or so.. What a ride. Great work on your truck, love the attention to detail and elbow grease cranked up to 11. Learned a lot from you and all the other posters. Wish you the best!

thank you for reading, unfortunately my computer hard drive did not survive our last house move and I lost all of my Rusty project pictures thank goodness all the best pics I posted to this forum to be preserved on the line for eternity

once I settle in I have a couple more tasks to do before we will be done with Rusty, step side bed conversion, POSI rear end, etc.

smpoulin01 09-16-2017 02:57 PM

Just a thought Greg - You might be able to re-save the pics you posted in this thread.

Ratman74 10-27-2017 10:08 AM

subscribed... I have enjoyed reading this thread.

Gregski 11-04-2017 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratman74 (Post 8069464)
subscribed... I have enjoyed reading this thread.

thanks for the feedback, we are not done just yet, since Rusty become my daily driver in March we have almost clocked 10,000 miles on it, but creature comforts come calling, so I had to hook up my heater core, but when I did that I started smelling coolant in the cab and sure enuff saw some leakage down the passenger side floor board so I unhooked it and am waiting for a free weekend to swap the heater core out for a new one, stay tuned

oh, Injury Report, blew out my MCL in my right knee a few weeks ago, AWESUM!!! no idea how it happened didn't bump it on anything, did not twist it in any way

rusty76 11-04-2017 11:04 AM

Sucks about the knee. We seem to be on the same wavelength. I’ve been have some problems with my knees but that’s what I get for getting just a little older. I had to replace the heater core in my truck when I first got it. It was fun. Take care.

Ratman74 11-04-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 8074871)
thanks for the feedback, we are not done just yet, since Rusty become my daily driver in March we have almost clocked 10,000 miles on it, but creature comforts come calling, so I had to hook up my heater core, but when I did that I started smelling coolant in the cab and sure enuff saw some leakage down the passenger side floor board so I unhooked it and am waiting for a free weekend to swap the heater core out for a new one, stay tuned

oh, Injury Report, blew out my MCL in my right knee a few weeks ago, AWESUM!!! no idea how it happened didn't bump it on anything, did not twist it in any way

Sorry to hear about your knee. I just swapped the heater core in my daughters truck last week, same scenario. I told her it was better to happen now before winter gets here.

Gregski 11-04-2017 09:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
so watched Rusty turn over 10,000 miles on the newly rebuilt engine, feels good fellas, for all of you out there getting close to having your projects driveable it is such a wonderful feeling once you can drive them, they may rattle, shake, squeak and leak but they are moving, its great

Gregski 11-04-2017 09:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Heater Core Replacement

3 Attachment(s)
alright, I think this may be the first project in our new house, new garage, my garage, LOL (the wife gets the single car garage on the opposite side of the house, win win)

so we got a leaking heater core on my '74 non AC 2WD, so how do we get the old heater core out

I went after mine from the inside of the cab, my glove box was already wiggly so it came out for better visability, not sure you have to remove yours but it helps

correct me if I am wrong, but there are 3 fasteners on the inside of the cab that need to be undone

in addition there are 4 fasteners in the engine bay on the firewall, we will get to those later

the three inside the cabin are as follow, there is a screw on the passenger side of the heater core assembly

Gregski 11-04-2017 09:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Heater Core Replacement

3 Attachment(s)
the second fastener to be undone inside the cab is the support rod neighbooring the ashtray, just down and to the right (it has a corresponding nut inside the engine bay, it's one of the four fasteners to undo there, maybe one that is overlooked as it is not directly attached to the heater core assembly like the other three studs)