The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Need PorterBuild Mild/Touring LS Steering HELP (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818612)

Chvy2NV 02-20-2021 12:25 AM

Need PorterBuild Mild/Touring LS Steering HELP

Hey guys. I’m mocking up some parts here and it seems my steering is going to be really tight. Just wondering what you guys with this setup Are using and how’s you do it.
From what I’ve researched it appears Im going to need a 30” column and 3 joints to get the proper angles. Also some guys mention an idler bearing as well. Im running a Pb drop member with LS and Holley manifolds
Any thoughts.?

Thank you in advance ..
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 02-22-2021 12:09 PM

Re: Need PorterBuild Mild/Touring LS Steering HELP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chvy2NV (Post 8882848)
Hey guys. I’m mocking up some parts here and it seems my steering is going to be really tight. Just wondering what you guys with this setup Are using and how’s you do it.
From what I’ve researched it appears Im going to need a 30” column and 3 joints to get the proper angles. Also some guys mention an idler bearing as well. Im running a Pb drop member with LS and Holley manifolds
Any thoughts.?

Thank you in advance ..
Posted via Mobile Device

The 'idler' bearing is required when more than 2-joints are used. Without it, the shafts will not be held to a specific path since the joints can flex in their rotation.

youngrodder 02-22-2021 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the steering on my 53 Suburban that is running PB. it should be a very similar set up to your PB set up. The carrier bearing mount that PB provided as a thin (3/8") plate that bolts to the back side of the A-arm with a hole for the bearing to bolt to.

Chvy2NV 02-22-2021 10:50 PM

Looks pretty similar to my setup. Do you have other Pic angles and where did you that tab from ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8884009)
Here is a pic of the steering on my 53 Suburban that is running PB. it should be a very similar set up to your PB set up. The carrier bearing mount that PB provided as a thin (3/8") plate that bolts to the back side of the A-arm with a hole for the bearing to bolt to.

Posted via Mobile Device

youngrodder 02-23-2021 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chvy2NV (Post 8884261)
Looks pretty similar to my setup. Do you have other Pic angles and where did you that tab from ?
Posted via Mobile Device

I dug did thru my pics to see if I can find the mounting plate all by itself but I don't have one. Once installed it is harder to see. This bracket that includes the tab came from Porterbuilt. I bet it would be the same one for your set up. It could easily be made as well. If you enlarge the pic to can get an idea. The bolt holes are slotted so you simply loosen up the nuts holding the a-arm on and slide the plate on and re-tighten. it is a simple slick solution.

Thanks
Marc

tinydb84 02-24-2021 02:42 PM

Youngrodder that is very clean!

I dont have a Porterbuilt (though should have gotten one) but had to reroute my steering for my Z. I welded a bracket to the frame for my support.
https://live.staticflickr.com/960/41...f0efc2a6_b.jpg

Chvy2NV 02-24-2021 10:29 PM

Sweet man. Thanks for the pics , That’s the cleanest one I’ve seen yet. You said you got it from PB ?
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8884371)
I dug did thru my pics to see if I can find the mounting plate all by itself but I don't have one. Once installed it is harder to see. This bracket that includes the tab came from Porterbuilt. I bet it would be the same one for your set up. It could easily be made as well. If you enlarge the pic to can get an idea. The bolt holes are slotted so you simply loosen up the nuts holding the a-arm on and slide the plate on and re-tighten. it is a simple slick solution.

Thanks
Marc

Posted via Mobile Device

youngrodder 02-25-2021 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chvy2NV (Post 8885078)
Sweet man. Thanks for the pics , That’s the cleanest one I’ve seen yet. You said you got it from PB ?
Posted via Mobile Device

Your welcome. Yes, call Nate at PB and he can fix you up.

Thanks
Marc

Chvy2NV 02-25-2021 08:58 PM

Spoke with Nate today. He said the pics I sent of your setup are from an extreme DM. I have a touring stage II dm on mine. We agreed that once I have the column and headers in place to send him pictures to determine where the idler bearing is going to be.
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngrodder (Post 8885178)
Your welcome. Yes, call Nate at PB and he can fix you up.

Thanks
Marc

Posted via Mobile Device

youngrodder 02-26-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chvy2NV (Post 8885441)
Spoke with Nate today. He said the pics I sent of your setup are from an extreme DM. I have a touring stage II dm on mine. We agreed that once I have the column and headers in place to send him pictures to determine where the idler bearing is going to be.
Posted via Mobile Device

Got it. OK I didn't realize that yours was a pro-touring set up. I apologize if I missed that detail.

Thank you
Marc

Chvy2NV 02-26-2021 08:23 PM

[not at all bud. Thanks for your help. Hopefully we can get this resolved soon. Thank you !!! QUOTE=youngrodder;8885609]Got it. OK I didn't realize that yours was a pro-touring set up. I apologize if I missed that detail.

Thank you
Marc[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device