The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   47-55.1 Need your advice and help asap (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=789002)

Chris04 06-21-2019 02:10 AM

Need your advice and help asap

hey guys, ive owned a ton of 60-72 pickups and have always wanted a AD truck! so i have found a 49 3100 that is very solid and has original paint and is exactly what i want! i always buy trucks with titles, if no title i do not mess with! so i talked to the owner and he said i have title to truck but only issue is its the original 49 NC title and it is signed by the owner that has his name on it . He said he purchased it basically as a open title and never did anything with it and has owned it many years. So im thinking no big deal and he said he wouldnt think so either only if the guy had deceased. So now im suppose to go pick this truck up saturday and want to make sure i have my ducks in a row! I hope hes being honest with me on the fact he just bought it and never did anything with title, im just worried he told me that for a reason because he tried and had no luck! What do you guys think about this? here in sc we dont have inspections and ive never had any issues with getting a title in my name before, i even had a 69 c10 i purchased and it was same way no problem tho. i just worry about this title being so old, and chances are the original owner isnt around anymore, i may have issues. thanks for any help, i figured there has to be some of you guys run into same problem.

Chris

MiraclePieCo 06-21-2019 06:26 AM

Re: Need your advice and help asap

Do you have a signed title?

Does the ID number on the title match that on the truck?

If answer to both questions is yes, then buy the truck.

Skipping owners is common on old truck titles.

Driver_WT 06-21-2019 07:20 AM

You could complete the sale at the NC DMV, then at least you are certain that the title can be transferred to your name. Not sure how the sales tax would work though.

joedoh 06-21-2019 09:31 AM

depending on the age of the title and the length of time since it was last registered, your state may have dropped it from their records. in kansas if someone offers me a 1980 issued title, skipped or not, I know I will need a bill of sale and an MVE VIN inspection, the title isnt useful except as a wall hanger.

another thing is that these trucks were usually titled on the ENGINE number which is on the flat pad behind the distributo, not the body ID in the door jamb. so if the title matches the engine number and you plan to change the engine, you will need to have it changed to the body number.

if your state is like mine, it will have a procedure for an old truck with an old title. here a 49 is older than 1950 and can be sold and titled in a bill of sale. a 50 can be sold on a bill of sale but will need an MVE VIN inspection, basically they just verify the VIN hasnt been tampered with and that it hasnt been registered for a long time. but if the frame is a late model IFS, or the engine isnt original (meaning a V8 or some other kind), or if the truck is in a million pieces, they will give it a constructed vehicle title. I stick to 49 and down for that reason, 10 minute titles.

call the DMV and look on the DMV website about antique vehicles.

Ironworking 06-21-2019 09:57 AM

I agree with Driver_WT. Here in TX, i have bought and sold many vehicles with open titles. No problem, most of the time. But, un-forseen issues can arise from time to time. Just as he suggested; go to the DMV to complete the sale. OR, go to a local used car dealer and ask for their professional opinion. If anyone knows title issues and how to spot one, it is them.

Chris04 06-21-2019 11:29 AM

Thanks guys! So he sent me s pic of title and it’s actually dated in 1957, the same name on front did sign on the back and dated it in 1982 so he owned it quiet awhile! I don’t see a problem here being he signed it and it’s basically a open title. Far as going to nc dmv and finishing sale not sure how that would work being I have a sc address. I’ve sold many with open titles, this one just scared me because it’s so old. Thanks for everything I think I’m gonna have him do a nc bill of sale to go with it just to be safe and take my chances! Thanks again

mr48chev 06-21-2019 12:25 PM

One issue I have run into in situations like this is titles that are dated at the time of sale as here in this state you pay a penalty if you went over X days. That might make it rather obvious that the rig changed hands a few times without being transferred but may not be a big issue changing states.

I'd think the key here is that the vin on the title actually matches either the cab number or engine number exactly you are probably good but I would check with my state's dmv and just ask what hoops you have to go though with an old truck that hasn't been driven or licensed in the other state for years but has a title. I truly dislike the overused and misused term "barn find" but this might be a good time to say you are looking at buying a barn find truck with title from NC and what do you have to do to simplify things.

From this Registering Vehicle Without a Title

The SCDMV will register your out-of-state vehicle without a title depending on the vehicle's year and the year the other state started titling vehicles. In this case, you will need the Bill of Sale.

You may pick up your Bill of Sale at an SCDMV branch or it may be mailed to you. It must be an original. That was taken from this site. http://www.scdmvonline.com/Vehicle-O...nsfer-My-Title It looks like you can only use a bill of sale for vehicles that come from no title states Mening if you bought the truck in a "we don't issue titles for vehicles older than___" state they accept THAT bill of sale form that you have to pick up at the SC dmv.

I cannot find anything on where a vehicle has to be inspected when you take it in from another state. You should already know if it has to be though. If that is the case I would roll into the inspection station with it on the trailer with it's barn find dust in place and see about getting it inspected.

I do see some pretty spendy fees for titling an out of state vehicle in SC. Looks if you buy plates for it right off the bat it will come to around 400 on the other hand they do let you go title purpose only. No plates or registration but a clear title in your name. Then when you have it running and ready to drive you go down and deal with the registration and plates. They let us to that here on vehicles we don't plan on driving for one reason or another and it saves a lot of hassles and registration fees on project vehicles.

The only real issue I see is that it may take longer to get the title back from SC because of the wait for the old one to come back as clear. That probably means they have to wait until someone goes and digs though files in the archives to find the NC copy of the title.

1project2many 06-21-2019 01:44 PM

Quote:

I don’t see a problem here being he signed it and it’s basically a open title.
Quote:

the same name on front did sign on the back and dated it in 1982
So... just throwing this out for thought. 2019-1982=37. If you are not at least 55 years old then you were not old enough to legally own the truck when the title was signed. If you are not at least 37 years old then you could not have existed when the title was signed. Will that cause a problem?? I dunno...

Chris04 06-21-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr48chev (Post 8546182)
One issue I have run into in situations like this is titles that are dated at the time of sale as here in this state you pay a penalty if you went over X days. That might make it rather obvious that the rig changed hands a few times without being transferred but may not be a big issue changing states.

I'd think the key here is that the vin on the title actually matches either the cab number or engine number exactly you are probably good but I would check with my state's dmv and just ask what hoops you have to go though with an old truck that hasn't been driven or licensed in the other state for years but has a title. I truly dislike the overused and misused term "barn find" but this might be a good time to say you are looking at buying a barn find truck with title from NC and what do you have to do to simplify things.

From this Registering Vehicle Without a Title

The SCDMV will register your out-of-state vehicle without a title depending on the vehicle's year and the year the other state started titling vehicles. In this case, you will need the Bill of Sale.

You may pick up your Bill of Sale at an SCDMV branch or it may be mailed to you. It must be an original. That was taken from this site. http://www.scdmvonline.com/Vehicle-O...nsfer-My-Title It looks like you can only use a bill of sale for vehicles that come from no title states Mening if you bought the truck in a "we don't issue titles for vehicles older than___" state they accept THAT bill of sale form that you have to pick up at the SC dmv.

I cannot find anything on where a vehicle has to be inspected when you take it in from another state. You should already know if it has to be though. If that is the case I would roll into the inspection station with it on the trailer with it's barn find dust in place and see about getting it inspected.

I do see some pretty spendy fees for titling an out of state vehicle in SC. Looks if you buy plates for it right off the bat it will come to around 400 on the other hand they do let you go title purpose only. No plates or registration but a clear title in your name. Then when you have it running and ready to drive you go down and deal with the registration and plates. They let us to that here on vehicles we don't plan on driving for one reason or another and it saves a lot of hassles and registration fees on project vehicles.

The only real issue I see is that it may take longer to get the title back from SC because of the wait for the old one to come back as clear. That probably means they have to wait until someone goes and digs though files in the archives to find the NC copy of the title.

thanks so much for researching all this info! you guys are the best

Chris04 06-21-2019 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1project2many (Post 8546207)
So... just throwing this out for thought. 2019-1982=37. If you are not at least 55 years old then you were not old enough to legally own the truck when the title was signed. If you are not at least 37 years old then you could not have existed when the title was signed. Will that cause a problem?? I dunno...

good thinking...hmmm. thanks for the info

vics stuff 06-22-2019 02:57 AM

With the title being pre signed is no big deal. The good thing is you have a title and endorsed by the registered owner. Take it to your DMV office and all should be OK
Vic

Chris04 06-23-2019 03:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys for all your help! I got the truck yesterday! Pretty happy with how solid it is and how great the original paint looks! Can’t wait to get started on it, I’m thinking a s10 frame swap, keep the patina! Fix any rust spots to make it rust free and blend paint close as possible! I want to drive the truck a lot and never worry about reliability so prob a 6L/80e, done several of these in the 67-72s and love the combo. Here is a few pics I have of it!

Driver_WT 06-23-2019 07:47 PM

Nice truck. Congratulations. I will be following your progress.

Chris04 06-23-2019 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Driver_WT (Post 8547375)
Nice truck. Congratulations. I will be following your progress.

Thanks! I’ll be sure to post any updates as I progress!!

1project2many 06-23-2019 11:24 PM

That looks great. It looks good and I'll bet it will be worth the effort.

Question: What is on top of the pole above the white car in the background of the top picture?

Chris04 06-24-2019 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1project2many (Post 8547502)
That looks great. It looks good and I'll bet it will be worth the effort.

Question: What is on top of the pole above the white car in the background of the top picture?

Thanks! We stopped to grab lunch at McDonald’s that was the drive thru

1project2many 06-24-2019 12:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks! We stopped to grab lunch at McDonald’s that was the drive thru
I can see it now. lol. For some reason my eyes kept seeing a yellow prop plane.

joedoh 06-24-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris04 (Post 8546154)
Thanks guys! So he sent me s pic of title and it’s actually dated in 1957, the same name on front did sign on the back and dated it in 1982 so he owned it quiet awhile! I don’t see a problem here being he signed it and it’s basically a open title.

as long as there isnt a date on it, and the number on the firewall is the number in the door jamb (not the motor number), you should be swimming.

but chances are, its got the motor number on it, which isnt anywhere except the motor. and a 57 title last in the system in 82, thats a historical document there, likely there is no record of it at the DMV any more.

get a bill of sale, with the door jamb number on it. have it inspected right now. too many guys wait till they are done with their projects to title them and run into problems, I dont even turn a single wrench without a clean title in my name.

good luck, lots of help here. start a project thread in the project forum when you get going!

Driver_WT 06-24-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedoh (Post 8547785)
get a bill of sale, with the door jamb number on it. have it inspected right now. too many guys wait till they are done with their projects to title them and run into problems, I dont even turn a single wrench without a clean title in my name.

I agree. First thing I did was get the title in my name.

Wade

Ironworking 06-24-2019 02:28 PM

Ditto!

Chris04 06-25-2019 12:16 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it! And yes I will have to start a build thread!

Chris04 06-25-2019 12:25 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it! And yes I will have to start a build thread!

solidaxel 07-02-2019 11:07 AM

My vote is for the stock chassis and a new I F S, if the frame is solid

Chris04 07-03-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidaxel (Post 8551853)
My vote is for the stock chassis and a new I F S, if the frame is solid

yessir, that is my new plan, being researching hard, and it would be easier to keep my stock wood bed floor going low like i want to and few other perks! what are you guys using far as ifs, heard of scotts street rod components and fatman, heidts, and cpp and even seen kits on speedway motors. im leaning toward the cpp because it comes with everthing including the rear drop springs and brake booster to mount on frame! would love yalls opinion! thanks

chris

fourspeedwagon 07-11-2019 09:53 PM

Any info to share on how the title transfer went? I did one that hadn't been registered since 1954 once but it was in state. Took a couple weeks for them to resurrect the numbers but always curious how it's working elsewhere.