The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Air Compressor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=807323)

old51sedan 06-04-2020 08:56 AM

Air Compressor

2 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to get my truck back together and at the same time installing Vintage Air. I understand that the rear end of the compressor (Sandan) can be rotated maybe a quarter of a turn towards the pass side of truck so that the lines running from it to the firewall aren't sticking straight up to give it a cleaner look. I need any advise I can get on how to do this, pictures would be really great.

RodnRudy 06-04-2020 10:40 AM

Re: Air Compressor

There should be four mounting bosses on the front and rear of your compressor. Just unbolt the compressor from the brackets and rotate it one boss toward the passenger side of the truck. Reinstall it on the brackets and your good to go. I don''t have pics but that's how I did it on my last street rod.

BigBird05 06-04-2020 12:08 PM

Has anyone thought to make brackets that mount the compressor down low below the lower rad hose?

old51sedan 06-04-2020 07:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In looking at the rear of the compressor, I don't believe it has to be unbolted at all. The picture shows bolts on the back that seem to be evenly spaced and the back piece should unbolt and hopefully can be turned one or two spots and be bolted back up. My only concern is I would like to know what if anything is going to jump out at me. Can anyone help me with that.

RodnRudy 06-04-2020 07:25 PM

Why take a chance of breaking the seal by unbolting the rear compressor cap possibly ruining it? Just unbolt it from the brackets and rotate it one boss bolt it back up and your done. Cheaper than having to buy another compressor.

old51sedan 06-05-2020 07:49 AM

I will take a closer look at it today, but I'm sure if I do that then the fill plug will be rotated past the 90 degree mark.

mkmc69 06-06-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old51sedan (Post 8751710)
I'm trying to get my truck back together and at the same time installing Vintage Air. I understand that the rear end of the compressor (Sandan) can be rotated maybe a quarter of a turn towards the pass side of truck so that the lines running from it to the firewall aren't sticking straight up to give it a cleaner look. I need any advise I can get on how to do this, pictures would be really great.

Nice! I'm going to be adding air to my 250 in the future as well. What is the part number of your water pump pulley?

old51sedan 06-07-2020 08:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
RodnRudy, Just wanted to let you know that I did check it out. I knew it would be close, but by the time I rotated it and then pushed it up to tighten the belt the oil fill hole was within the specs that Vintage Air suggested. I believe it will make for a cleaner looking installation. Thanks, I will post a before and after picture.

old51sedan 06-07-2020 08:57 AM

mkmc69,
This motor is a 292, so the pulley would be different for your 250. If you have PS on your motor you should have a two grove water pump pulley. I took a 250 out to install this 292, it has a two grove pulley, I will see if I can find a number on it for you.

RodnRudy 06-07-2020 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old51sedan (Post 8753289)
RodnRudy, Just wanted to let you know that I did check it out. I knew it would be close, but by the time I rotated it and then pushed it up to tighten the belt the oil fill hole was within the specs that Vintage Air suggested. I believe it will make for a cleaner looking installation. Thanks, I will post a before and after picture.

I'm glad it worked out for you. Since it's within Vintage Airs specs you shouldn't have any trouble with oil draining out of the compressor.