The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   1965 Ford Mustang (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=526257)

67ChevyRedneck 01-09-2013 12:21 AM

Re: 1965 Ford Mustang

Thanks! Try out a new one! My wife has the 2011 305 horse V6 and it is wicked fun to drive! I bought it last April from Jim Barkley Toyota in Asheville, NC. The car is in AMAZING condition.

This car looks just like mine, except for the stripes, and I think I want to run this exact wheel/tire combo with the shelby drop:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13577051613236

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13577051522114

SCHRUMGMC 01-09-2013 12:23 AM

Holy cow man, Looks sick now

67ChevyRedneck 01-09-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCHRUMGMC (Post 5805532)
Holy cow man, Looks sick now

:lol: Read a little closer, it's someone else's car, but I want to run the exact wheel/tire combo. I've thought about the same stripe package, but in Blue.

SCHRUMGMC 01-09-2013 12:25 AM

Haha sh*t.Now I feel like a DS

I hope you can do it though

gcburdic 01-10-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck (Post 5805538)
:lol: Read a little closer, it's someone else's car, but I want to run the exact wheel/tire combo. I've thought about the same stripe package, but in Blue.

I wanna run the same wheel tire combo too....I would lower a little too:D

67ChevyRedneck 01-10-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcburdic (Post 5808418)
I wanna run the same wheel tire combo too....I would lower a little too:D

I never thought I would like black wheels... but on the wimbledon white they look so killer. Only 1300 for the wheels/tires set shipped on ebay from a wheel/tire place in texas. I tried to price stuff seperately to buy local and get tires mounted but that place still comes up cheaper... if i can find the wheels @ charlotte that would be my money saver. They're the american racing torque thrust M's in black. And yes... definitely needs to go down an inch!
Posted via Mobile Device

67ChevyRedneck 01-12-2013 03:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a trip to Charlotte today, updates to follow!

Geoff, I thought about visiting you when I was halfway home... I saw a green 99-06 burb and you popped in my head, wish I had seen it on the way up.

SCHRUMGMC 01-12-2013 04:12 PM

I have seen that place somewhere LOL

67ChevyRedneck 01-12-2013 11:37 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Because I bolted in the bracket, I had to skim a little off the backside of the plastic on the upper mount. It now clears without issue.

67ChevyRedneck 01-12-2013 11:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The easiest mounts were the buckle and the front of the three point, I used the factory locations for those.

The belts I ordered had an agle to them on the front mount. The way I installed them (which made the most sense to me) this was either angled wrong into the door or if I flipped it the other way, the belt was twisted. So I put it in my vise and slowly bent the bracket the other way. Now the belts are straight and the angle is the correct direction.

67ChevyRedneck 01-13-2013 12:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I then needed a floor anchor point. What better place then where 3 panels overlap? I'm using a bracket on the bottom as well. I then had to bend the bracket beause of the angle, then a little slit in the carpet... and done!

67ChevyRedneck 01-13-2013 12:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The end result is what I think it would have looked like if Ford had done it back in the day.

67ChevyRedneck 01-13-2013 12:23 AM

All the "marks" on the belts are just dust, etc... I need to clean them up again. I'm really happy I went with the drop sash. I'm 5'8" and about 170lbs and it's really comfortable for me.

I added the center console as well. I'll be mounting a stereo unit inside of it, leaving the AM stereo in the dash with it's own dash speaker. I also purhased kick panel speaker pods and I'm going to install two speakers in the rear deck.

67ChevyRedneck 01-14-2013 12:41 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the headliner mocked back up so I could poke the hole for the bolt to go through... that was a tense moment! I noticed my roof doesn't have any insulation installed, so I'm going to drop the bows and put some dynamat up there, (they actually pop off pretty easy, popped the back-most two loose to do the bracket install.) With them all loose I should be able to get something up there, doesn't have to be perfect, a strip between each bow should make a nice difference.

That's one side done. The other side should go much much quicker. I already have all the brackets bent, etc. I also installed my new door rearview mirror to replace the old pitted one. I spent most of the day messing with my new console, cutting it up to hide a modern radio head unit inside of it, and cutting up the rear package tray for 6x9 speakers hidden under a factory style speaker grill. I only got one side done. Had to come in to watch my recorded playoff games!

67ChevyRedneck 01-17-2013 06:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Time for the hidden stereo!

Take apart your brand new $115 console and have at it!

*The console color matches pretty close in person, the pics make it look like it's way off, it's not.

1. Take the bottom out.

2. Notice that the hump cut out doesn't remotely match the floor hump even though it's made specifically for a mustang...

3. Fix the problem by using shims, glue, finishing nails and left over fabric from the bottom.

4 & 5. Even with the bottom cut out, there still won't be enough clearance... so the top had to be notched and refinished as well.

67ChevyRedneck 01-17-2013 06:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
1 & 2. Stereo mounted inside console.

3. Speed holes for air ciculation :lol:

4. Cover I made out of some foam board and more scraps of fabric from the bottom.

67ChevyRedneck 01-17-2013 06:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished Product!

I now have a fully removable console (held in place with velco) and I can unhook the stereo from the boom and slip the wires under the driver's seat!

...and some ass posted on another forum that the stereo wouldn't play CD's on it's side. I knew it would... so I hooked it up and proved him wrong. NOT ONLY will it load and unload CD's Sideways, it will do so upside down and play as well.

67ChevyRedneck 01-21-2013 11:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Passenger side was MUCH easier. I did the whole thing in maybe a half hour after I got the headliner peeled back.

I also started gutting the interior for dynamat extreme.

This car was ridicuously CLEAN! This is by far the most rust free classic car I've ever been able to work on or look over this closely. You can see in the last pic there is a little bit of surface rust in the driver side floor. I think at one point there was a master cylinder leak because the fluid ran down and bubbled all the floor paint. The DS floor pan was definitely original as were the rear two (light pitting in some spots could be seen under the paint.) I also removed some of the old seam sealer that was loose in areas.

67ChevyRedneck 01-21-2013 11:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The only patch panel I have been able to find on the entire car. My guess is that the A/C leaked, got the carpet wet, and rotted the passenger side out. They did a good job of hiding the repair, because I couldn't tell from underneath. They forgot to cut the hole for the A/C drain, I'll have to address that soon.

The black paper is what's left of the old (actually fairly new) factory sound deadener. Most of it came right off except certain areas. I cleaned it up a lot better (removed most of it) before installing the dynamat. I took the pics right after I ripped the crap out.

67ChevyRedneck 01-21-2013 11:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dynamat installed! NOT as easy as TV makes it look, and that aluminum backing is easy to slice your fingers against. I had a few bleeders that day. A tip is to leave the backing on and mold it to the area first, with contoured floors you'll need to make a lot of relief cuts. It stays contoured pretty well, so you can make your cuts and test fit it again, THEN peel a section of the backing and work it in, then remove more, etc...

GREAT product. I got 76 SF of it from fleabay for $280. Expensive, but a lot cheaper than other places I found it. Also, with some reasearch, a lot of other deadeners like fatmat are just the cheap rolled roofing product with a label on the back (read the fine print, if is says "asphalt" don't buy it.) Butyl is what you want. It lasts much longer and stays pliable. The asphalt base stuff hardens and peels off in a few short years.

67ChevyRedneck 01-21-2013 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I cleaned up the rust on the driver side and rust encapsulated it. I also did a little area on the passenger side as well. The pedals got some flat black paint as well. Drove me nuts to have a nice restored car and rusty pedals.

Because of the cool temps it took forever to dry, so that's where I'm at. I had to add some seam sealer under the rear seat as well and it was still tacky sunday afternoon so that one piece was all I could do for now :(

67ChevyRedneck 01-22-2013 12:03 AM

Because of the tacky paint and seam sealer, I Played around with my stereo install some more. I got the wires routed cleanly under the hood. There was a couple grommets missing from the firewall so I added those. I painted the rear speaker covers/grills, and played around with mocking where to put a seat of 3 point belts in the back. I think I have it figured out.

I think I'm going to have an insane week at work this week (easily 60-70+ hours) so she may sit a week or two.

67ChevyRedneck 02-19-2013 07:24 PM

I guess this thread is mostly for me to go back and enjoy :D

The Dynamat is all in, except for in the truck. I was going to try to do the roof under the headliner by popping the bows out and letting them "sag" but it was stretched so tight between the windshield and back window that there was NO "sag", so I didn't do the roof. I did to the B-pillar, under the quarter windows, and will eventually do the doors and trunk floor.

NONHOG 02-19-2013 07:30 PM

I hear ya! You are not alone. Maybe this area needs some advertising?

BTW car is looking good.
My wife made sure my stepdaughters 68 Stang had 3 point belts installed.
That was a few cars ago.

Keep it up!

67ChevyRedneck 02-19-2013 08:09 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks, I really appreciate it. And yes, 3 points are a MUST. I've owned my C10 since I was 15 in 1996 and my dad wouldn't even let me drive it until I installed them, and when a seatbelt saved my life a couple years later I don't want to drive anything without them. It was driving me nuts waiting as long as I did to actually do it, I kept to roads that were 55Mph and under, with most being in the 35-45mph range.

I know I cheated by buying a car that was "done" but I'm "making it mine" which is NOT cheap. The stereo/dynamat/3 point update (see pics below for backseats as well) has cost around $900, I just ordered a VA kit, more on that in a bit, for $1280, the wheels/tires I want are ~$1,300 (see above pics), I spent $400 for a power brake kit (already has discs) and I'll probably spend another $800-1K updating/dropping/improving the suspension. This car is not going anywhere for a while! But it's OK, because in less than two weeks I'm going to be paying off the last of my 27K student loan debt, which I've been paying anywhere from $300 to over $1K per month since I went back to work in 2010 to wipe it out (been paying on it since 2005, so I should have a little "money to burn" to finish this car and finish up my home resto. I know I haven't been updating that thread, but I'm down to one bedroom (trim only), the bonus room above the garage, and the upstairs hallway, all other rooms are now done and fully furnished.

My computer messed up, I had to restart and do a bunch of crap to it. Here are the pics for the previous post: