The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Medium Blue or Dark Blue? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797582)

Basketcase889 12-03-2019 11:00 PM

Medium Blue or Dark Blue?

3 Attachment(s)
I just picked up another c10... it’s a 69 with no SPID. It looks to me like it has the dark blue/white paint scheme from the 72s? Did the 69s come in a two tone like this, and shouldn’t the cab have been white? Pretty sure the truck has been repainted, but the interior matches the blue. Although it is the newer style 71/72 seat covers with the different scroll stamping. So he could have repainted and full new interior? The guy I bought it off had it for 25yrs and thought it was original. It’s a great paint job, but there’s a couple spots that seem to be bubbling here and there. I want to buy paint to touch up spots after I sand it down... but colourblind so picking the colour isn’t my strong suit. Let me know what you think!

Thanks

68bowtie 12-03-2019 11:32 PM

Re: Medium Blue or Dark Blue?

Not sure on your questions but good looking truck.

jocko 12-03-2019 11:40 PM

There was no medium blue (510) in 69 (only light (code 507) or dark (code 508) and the only two-tones in 69 were Conventional (white top) Special (white top and bottom). 71 was first year for the Deluxe two tone - but none of the Deluxe two tones had a pri color roof, it would have been white, like the middle section. Since it's a repaint, no telling if it is 69 GM dark blue. The paint scheme you currently have (i.e. white middle only) was never offered by GM until the squarebody years. As for the seat, someone probably just swapped benches or installed a 71/72 cover. Does your interior paint match the exterior color well AND look fairly worn out (as in not-repainted)? If so, that's an indication your exterior paint could be original GM dark blue. Nice looking truck!

landarts 12-04-2019 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
If you are wanting to do touchups here is the route I would suggest. Clean the current paint really well and take the truck to a automotive paint store that has a digital gun for paint matching. With one pull of the trigger they can get a paint match to the current paint on the truck. From there you can have them mix up a quart or they can actually put it in a spray can for you that has a bladder with hardener. Here in Idaho it cost about $20 for a 2K can of matched paint. I have always had at least a quart mixed up and matched with the digital gun. Then they pour 4oz off the matched paint from the quart to make a spray can. Now you have 28oz left in the quart and a spray can to use.

Here is a picture of the quart of paint I just had done that way and the 2K spray can ready to go. As you can see in the spray can there is also a red button inside the cap. You take the red button and put it on the bottom of the can and press, this activates the bladder that has hardener in it. Now you have a spray can that is usable up to 24 hours, after that the can becomes unusable and hardens in the spray can.

Basketcase889 12-04-2019 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8637148)
There was no medium blue (510) in 69 (only light (code 507) or dark (code 508) and the only two-tones in 69 were Conventional (white top) Special (white top and bottom). 71 was first year for the Deluxe two tone - but none of the Deluxe two tones had a pri color roof, it would have been white, like the middle section. Since it's a repaint, no telling if it is 69 GM dark blue. The paint scheme you currently have (i.e. white middle only) was never offered by GM until the squarebody years. As for the seat, someone probably just swapped benches or installed a 71/72 cover. Does your interior paint match the exterior color well AND look fairly worn out (as in not-repainted)? If so, that's an indication your exterior paint could be original GM dark blue. Nice looking truck!

I agree with this, and supports my thoughts. It looks to me like the two tones offered on the square body with the coloured roof, and might even be the same paint colour.

Here is the interior. The paint looks amazing, which is another reason I was thinking respray. Whoever did the paint job though, sure took the time. behind every seal and such has been painted, even inside the glove box!

Basketcase889 12-04-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8637345)
If you are wanting to do touchups here is the route I would suggest. Clean the current paint really well and take the truck to a automotive paint store that has a digital gun for paint matching. With one pull of the trigger they can get a paint match to the current paint on the truck. From there you can have them mix up a quart or they can actually put it in a spray can for you that has a bladder with hardener. Here in Idaho it cost about $20 for a 2K can of matched paint. I have always had at least a quart mixed up and matched with the digital gun. Then they pour 4oz off the matched paint from the quart to make a spray can. Now you have 28oz left in the quart and a spray can to use.

Here is a picture of the quart of paint I just had done that way and the 2K spray can ready to go. As you can see in the spray can there is also a red button inside the cap. You take the red button and put it on the bottom of the can and press, this activates the bladder that has hardener in it. Now you have a spray can that is usable up to 24 hours, after that the can becomes unusable and hardens in the spray can.

I have got the spray paint with the hardener in it quite a few times. And then good clear, and unless you really look, its hard to tell the difference between yours and the factory paint! I never knew shows had guns that could tell you though! That's amazing

Basketcase889 12-06-2019 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I don’t think it’s possible that the truck cane this colour is it? Man everything I check to see an original colour is this blue. Looked through every hole and crack I could find. It looks very factory. It must have been a full frame off resto or at least a complete strip down full repaint. Peeling back the weatherstripping holding in the windshield shows bright blue paint. Even through the hole in the glovebox liner. Also, I don’t think these door panels/armrests came on 69s did they? Looks like the seat and door panels are a swap from 71/72?

Picture is showing hole in glovebox liner showing paint

landarts 12-06-2019 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Just from the pictures of the glove box area I would bet it is not a factory paint job. In all the trucks that I have or have rebuilt the latch inside is raw metal not painted and the large hinge is painted the same color as the glove box. What you could very well have is a restoration someone did by stripping or sandblasting everything to bare metal and then repainting. Anyways, nice truck and it should be a real nice driver for you.

Basketcase889 12-08-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by landarts (Post 8638403)
Just from the pictures of the glove box area I would bet it is not a factory paint job. In all the trucks that I have or have rebuilt the latch inside is raw metal not painted and the large hinge is painted the same color as the glove box. What you could very well have is a restoration someone did by stripping or sandblasting everything to bare metal and then repainting. Anyways, nice truck and it should be a real nice driver for you.

Thanks so much for the reply. I also noticed the latch and thought it looked odd painted. My other c10 has had so many POs it lost count. And probably just as many bad paint jobs as owners so I have nothing to compare it to.

Basketcase889 04-07-2020 09:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Ok looking for anymore info if someone has any... I feel like some people on the board have trucks that are a similar blue. I know its hard to tell through a computer screen though...

Heres a couple newer pics from last weekend which may help.

1970ChevC10 04-07-2020 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your truck is almost the twin of my 1970 C10. I have the original paint matched perfectly. My SPID has '531 White Med Blue'

Basketcase889 04-07-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970ChevC10 (Post 8711194)
Your truck is almost the twin of my 1970 C10. I have the original paint matched perfectly. My SPID has '531 White Med Blue'

Thats awesome! Nice to see a local as well! Just saw your (and my I guess haha) truck in Orillia yesterday. Was going to turn around and track him down to ask his colour code. Now I don’t have to!

Can you post a pic of your spid? Thanks

1970ChevC10 04-07-2020 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basketcase889 (Post 8711211)
Thats awesome! Nice to see a local as well! Just saw your (and my I guess haha) truck in Orillia yesterday. Was going to turn around and track him down to ask his colour code. Now I don’t have to!

Was not me as I am waiting on parts for my clutch linkage. I will post the SPID later tonight or early tomorrow.

1970ChevC10 04-08-2020 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Basketcase889 (Post 8711211)

Picture attached.

Basketcase889 04-08-2020 10:38 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1970ChevC10 (Post 8711822)
Picture attached.

Thanks so much! That should help me a lot as my truck has a lot of those options as well!

I didn't think it was you in Orillia haha was just saying that our same truck was up that way. First one I've seen matching mine in real life.

I just wiped down the paint to try and get better pictures for you to compare. Do you think the colour matches your truck? Or is mine a little bit darker?

Like I said, being colour blind isn't making the paint match portion easy for me so I appreciate everything you are doing!

1970ChevC10 04-08-2020 10:57 AM

Yours looks a bit darker, when this lockdown is over we will have to meet up and compare. Mine is apart still, waiting on a hanger bearing for the drive shaft and some engine compartment clutch linkage pieces that I cannot get out of the US right now. Holding me up.