The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cowl water drainage holes - where are they (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=489598)

67gmcstepside 10-18-2011 01:30 PM

Cowl water drainage holes - where are they

I washed the truck today and water was pouring out of the kick panel vents. It's been parked under a pine tree with the cowl off and it looks like the drainage holes are clogged by pine needles. Where are the holes that drain the water to the bottom of the fender. I was just about to install the new carpet but now with this new challenge that we have to wait. Any information would be appreciated, thanks.
don
Posted via Mobile Device

steinepstein 10-18-2011 01:51 PM

Re: Cowl water drainage holes - where are they

They are located directly below the kick panel vents. I'd remove that vent and stick your hand in there and see if you can remove stuff by hand and the rest blow it out with an air gun.

Jon

67gmcstepside 10-18-2011 06:51 PM

Thanks Jon, the PO must of done some patching because I don't feel any holes below the air vent. Maybe I need to drill some. I'll play with it this weekend. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device

steinepstein 10-18-2011 08:23 PM

It's not really a hole, it is more of an open seam between the cowl sheetmetal and the cab sheetmetal, it's quite large, you would notice it. That would be weird if it was filled in, I could see how you could have a lot of water draining into the cab if that were the case. Good luck.

67gmcstepside 10-19-2011 06:32 AM

So this open seam should be right under the air vent? If you stick your hand through the vent your fingers should feel tis opening?
Thank you very much as I think I know what needs to be done.
Posted via Mobile Device

steinepstein 10-19-2011 09:07 AM

I'll get you a picture and upload it tonight.

I feel like you could get your hand in the vent hole and find the gap.

67gmcstepside 10-19-2011 10:41 AM

thank you very much. A pic will go a long way. Last night in the dark I felt around inside the vent hole and it felt like ther PO patched the area with roof cement. I probally will have to dig it out.

Andy4639 10-19-2011 11:08 AM

If you jack the side of the truck up and look under the fender you will see the gap where all the water runs out at. You shouldn't have any problem finding it at all if it's closed up as you say then yea the water will spill over to the cab.;):chevy:

mpotts64 10-19-2011 11:17 AM

I put a 12" metal blade on a sawzall and reached in through the door and cut the whole bottom out of that box, now, leaves, pinestraw, etc fall right on through, no holding water and it works well

treveiger 10-19-2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpotts64 (Post 4961730)
I put a 12" metal blade on a sawzall and reached in through the door and cut the whole bottom out of that box, now, leaves, pinestraw, etc fall right on through, no holding water and it works well

I'm trying to picture it, do you have any pics?
Posted via Mobile Device

mpotts64 10-19-2011 01:14 PM

I have not taken pics of it but I can, it was not hard at all to do, just open the door and go in the opening between the fender and door post of the cab, between the hinges, start close to the side and cut up and out until you run out of metal, when you open the door and look in, you can see the box, just don't cut the side out of the cab,

now, I must say, I do not know about the all the factory a/c setups on these trucks, but I think I heard someone say the side panel vent is actually a recirculation vent for the factory a/c, maybe someone can confirm this, if so, you probably do not want to cut that box

dfwright 10-19-2011 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of mine I took while I was repairing rust. You can see the drain hole in the back corner. Ignore the giant rectangular hole, as I was cutting out rusted metal there :lol: --- but you can see the triangular drain hole in the corner.

67gmcstepside 10-19-2011 01:32 PM

Guys, this is great!!! I now know exactly what I have to clear to get the water to run out instead of in the cab. I apprecate all these responses!!!

dfwright 10-19-2011 01:36 PM

Yes, that is the drivers side in the photo

71blazerdetroit 10-19-2011 01:37 PM

Yes that's driver side.

PanelDeland 10-19-2011 03:27 PM

When you get ready to reinstall the cowl,put a screen under it.Some make one from HD stuff or most vendors will carry them.It will help keep the crap out so it doesn't clog those drains.

RenoKeene 10-19-2011 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PanelDeland (Post 4962142)
When you get ready to reinstall the cowl,put a screen under it.Some make one from HD stuff or most vendors will carry them.It will help keep the crap out so it doesn't clog those drains.

Here is a shot of the trash screens I got from LMC, pretty nice really and not much $$. BTW A/C trucks have a vacuum operated flap in the cowel on that side that opens for fresh air.

67gmcstepside 10-19-2011 06:18 PM

Looks like the PO thought he was fixing a rust problem and replace the entire air vent box but forgot to add any drainage holes. I wiill have to go with mpotts attack and cut out the bottom of the nicely sealed air box.
Thank you all for your time responding to my inquires.
don
Posted via Mobile Device

eightbanger 10-19-2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinepstein (Post 4961497)
I'll get you a picture and upload it tonight.

I feel like you could get your hand in the vent hole and find the gap.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67gmcstepside (Post 4961665)
thank you very much. A pic will go a long way. Last night in the dark I felt around inside the vent hole and it felt like ther PO patched the area with roof cement. I probally will have to dig it out.

Yes we've all been there, in the dark feeling around inside trying to find the hole/gap:lol:...and how we wished a buddy could have shown a picture of where to find it.:lol:

67gmcstepside 10-19-2011 07:15 PM

Well said!
Posted via Mobile Device

sinannasirli 01-13-2021 03:50 AM

Hi, i know this is an old thread but easier for all for me to post here..
i noticed two holes, one in each side below the cowl area..
Are they a somehow added by PO, to drain the water (strangely into the cab) or
should these holes be blocked by a rubber plug etc?

Picture below:(taken from inside the glove box)

http://i.ibb.co/ThGd0Y0/F826-FAB8-90...A2-C804-C4.jpg

Thanks

HO455 01-13-2021 04:00 AM

I believe those are the factory holes to allow condensation on the inside of the windshield to drain. You should be able to see them just below the windshield gasket on each side of the dash.

sinannasirli 01-13-2021 09:04 AM

Thank you.. that would make sense.. i just replaced my cracked windshield, and it was not the best fit... so i should probably try a sealant job?

Peanut74 01-13-2021 11:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple pics of the factory cut as discussed above.
My fenders are off so pics were easy to take. The A-pillar I to the right of the cut.