The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Painted bumper, mirrors, and hub caps (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=601644)

davem815 10-24-2013 09:07 PM

Painted bumper, mirrors, and hub caps

What is you guys opinion on factory white painted bumpers, mirrors, and hub caps? I learned to drive on my dad's 1971 C-20 Custom with 307 and 3ott. I kind of like them on certain colors. I would love to recreate his truck. I've seen some pic posted that I really liked with painred bumpers.

mmiddle 10-24-2013 09:30 PM

Re: Painted bumper, mirrors, and hub caps

If that is your speed then do it. There is something about a nice clean bone stock plain jane look circa 1971 that is beautiful.

Most of us go for the CST/Cheyenne option level, but go for it. I look forward to watching and admiring your build.

leftybass209 10-24-2013 09:36 PM

I'm all about it. I think it looks better on the 67-68 with the white grill but the 69-72 looks good too. :metal:

bobs409 10-25-2013 06:46 AM

One thing is for sure, you'll save yourself the hassle of dealing with crappy repro chrome!

I sometimes wish I went this route. Well, just when I look at my bumpers anyway... :(

jeremy zander 10-25-2013 07:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like this one..71 3/4 4x4 ..all white...bought this one to redo just like it is ..someday

ksshane 10-25-2013 08:32 AM

Thats whats so great about these vehicles. They look great many different ways.

Steve Hafner 10-25-2013 10:10 AM

3 Attachment(s)
. . . .

Here's a beautiful 71 that was said to have 2,000 miles on IT'S white bumpers.

. . . .

67swb72klb 10-25-2013 10:40 AM

who does not like a nice super but........
I lean toward the plain ones like I would have bought new if i could have
I think i have seen that blue one before ?

swamp rat 10-25-2013 08:56 PM

And here i was thinking about painting all my white to Mat Black.. That blue truck is making me rethink that one..

silentt 10-25-2013 09:07 PM

I love the look of the white bumpers/mirrors and how it ties into the white roof on some. These trucks looks amazing 100 different ways though. Do what you what/like, you can't go wrong.

factorystock 10-25-2013 10:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by davem815 (Post 6331584)
What is you guys opinion on factory white painted bumpers, mirrors, and hub caps?

IMO, a great traditional look that has practically disappeared from the landscape. When the white paint is clean, solid and shiny, the contrast looks unbeatable, especially with a contrasting color. Last white painted hubcaps on base model trucks was 1978. Last white painted front bumper was 1981.

Fitz 10-25-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

What is you guys opinion on factory white painted bumpers, mirrors, and hub caps? I learned to drive on my dad's 1971 C-20 Custom with 307 and 3ott. I kind of like them on certain colors. I would love to recreate his truck. I've seen some pic posted that I really liked with painred bumpers.

At a custom car show they would be out of place but as a factory faithful bolt by bolt restoration they would be right on the mark! Seafoam Green and that creamy white....makes my heart go pitter-pat!

sambudo 10-26-2013 03:08 AM

Quote:

I like the painted bumpers, Mine are painted, i want to find a stock bumper for the rear.

motorcritter 10-26-2013 10:49 AM

The '70 C10 is getting the white-paint bumpers, wheel covers & mirror treatment- it was that way originally, except for body color mirrors (medium gold). I like plain Jane sleepers- underhood is where I want to get fancy!

slikside 10-26-2013 11:40 AM

We've spoken about this before Dave, but one thing I didn't say, and it really works for me: The painted accessories are OLD SCHOOL. For some, like my truck...they were factory, and I like keeping it that way (it's also more budget friendly). Tons of people are going the "dropped" route and after market wheels/bumpers and sport mirrors. And they are beautiful! These trucks look awesome that way. But it isn't old school, and there are far fewer that are. I find the older I get, the more old school I am.

Good luck with your decision.

67ctener 10-26-2013 11:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of my favorites

zeldman 10-26-2013 12:16 PM

In 1974 I bought a 70 SWB, white with blue interior, 6yl, granny 4 speed and heater. I learned to drive in it and drove it for 22 years. I went through several motor changes plus a TH 400 before I studiply let it go. I am wanting to create that truck right down to the bench seat, white hub caps, 16 inch steelies, stock round mirrors, painted front bumper and farmer rear bumper, no radio and just a heater. The only changes will be disc brakes up front and three point belts inside, and maybe a 5 speed for the over drive. There is nothing wrong with highly customized trucks, I just want to bring back an innocent age for myself.

Joesjunk 10-26-2013 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The blue truck is mine, and yes it only has 2200 miles on it. The white bumpers and caps are growing on me. I like them because they are different. Everyone has chrome bumpers :)

Ozark Tim 10-26-2013 07:45 PM

Joes 71 is awesome... Probably the only 2200 mile example I will ever get to see in person.
How about no trim, is that growing on you Joe...LOL, I know you like em with trim.
I like the white bumpers and plain truck as well as the trimmed up ones. Like someone else said before me, one way or the other these trucks are very cool.
Tim

Joesjunk 10-26-2013 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My old Suburban with white bumpers and mirrors, but chrome hub caps. Listed them on the SPID

Joesjunk 10-26-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozark Tim (Post 6334149)
Joes 71 is awesome... Probably the only 2200 mile example I will ever get to see in person.
How about no trim, is that growing on you Joe...LOL, I know you like em with trim.
I like the white bumpers and plain truck as well as the trimmed up ones. Like someone else said before me, one way or the other these trucks are very cool.
Tim

Still not a fan of no trim Tim lol

darkhorse970 10-26-2013 08:06 PM

I like the look with a little chrome/aluminum sprinkled in.

slikside 10-26-2013 08:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Dave has already seen these, but Joe, that Burb of yours was an inspiration to me to keep my truck the same way.....that thing is beautiful. Didn't know who owned it. And so is your '71 truck and......well, all your rigs are very cool.

magwakeenercew2jh 10-27-2013 02:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slikside (Post 6333615)
We've spoken about this before Dave, but one thing I didn't say, and it really works for me: The painted accessories are OLD SCHOOL. For some, like my truck...they were factory, and I like keeping it that way (it's also more budget friendly). Tons of people are going the "dropped" route and after market wheels/bumpers and sport mirrors. And they are beautiful! These trucks look awesome that way. But it isn't old school, and there are far fewer that are. I find the older I get, the more old school I am.

So many ways to go, for sure....Both of my 67-72's were trimmed out like this. Got the unchromed 67-70 bumper from a pal for RAT. It was paint it and move the signals behind the grille, or use the "pretty good" chrome bumper that was on the '71 front clip. So, I went with what I had last time...almost...

davem815 10-28-2013 12:54 PM

Thanks for the comments and pictures. I agree there are many directions you can take and I like most of them. I like the chome and luxury trucks, I also like the lowered race trucks style. I'm a former autocrosser.
I most like the bare bones work truck, like the ones in the 3/4 ton thread and the hauling and working truck threads. Due to sentimental reason of the memory of my father's '71, I'm dreaming/planning for when I have the time/money/shop space to do a build like the truck I remember growing up with.