The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Violent wobble in new POL rack & pinion install (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=811229)

57Suburb 08-29-2020 03:29 PM

Violent wobble in new POL rack & pinion install

Just finished up installing Performance Online's power rack kit. The install was pretty basic. I’m using a new pump as well. I followed GMs procedure for bleeding out the air. So I’m ready to fire this thing up and see how it works. Start the truck and let it idle a bit, while visually inspecting for leaks or any clearance issues. Everything looking good so far. Get in the truck and grab the steering wheel to see how effortless it is now, and as soon as I start to turn the wheel , the devil takes over and starts violent jerking the wheel back and forth so hard I thought it broke both my wrists. WTH! I shut the motor down quickly.

Anyone have any ideas as to what’s going on?

LS short box 08-29-2020 04:46 PM

Re: Violent wobble in new POL rack & pinion install

Fluid lines on backwards?

57Suburb 08-29-2020 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LS short box (Post 8799866)
Fluid lines on backwards?

The line kit that came with the unit can only go on one way, so no.
Posted via Mobile Device

The Rocknrod 08-30-2020 08:49 AM

Did you contact POL and ask them yet?

Richard 09-14-2020 12:19 AM

Was the pump specified for rack an pinion? If not you might want to install a flow restrictor.

kglowacky 03-07-2021 09:55 AM

I know I am late to this thread but back in the day I had the same problem on a corvette I was working on. Power steering lines backwards. Very dangerous to your arms

SCOTI 03-08-2021 10:26 AM

[sarcasm] I love when someone asks for solutions to an issue.... options are provided/discussed, & then there's no definitive resolution provided so that others might benefit. [/sarcasm]

Custom 68 03-08-2021 04:40 PM

I thought that was odd too Scoti. This was also his last post?

youngrodder 03-10-2021 09:16 AM

This is a pretty common occurrence.

Sounds like you need to bleed the air out of your system. If you Google "bleeding power steering" you can find all sorts of write ups. Basically with the truck off (not running) and the front wheels supported off the ground, you keep turning lock to lock slowly. With the cap off your reservoir you will see the bubbles from the air escaping the system. Repeat until you see no bubbles/air.

Thanks
Marc