The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New steeing column quality vs cost (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=825788)

Peanut74 09-13-2021 12:38 PM

New steeing column quality vs cost

Before I order my new steering column I wanted to check with the group to see if I'm on the best path.

What I am planning on ordering is a CPP chrome, tilt, automatic steering column. I have been told the CPP retooled their columns are good quality. It comes with the shift and turn levers. With shipping and such it comes in around $520. What do you Y'all think?

Grumpy old man 09-13-2021 12:53 PM

Re: New steeing column quality vs cost

1 Attachment(s)
A while back I was shopping columns and after reading about the aftermarket problems I went with a stainless Flaming river manual column from Pickmup , Just like good brakes I kinda like to know the column is a quality piece . If I had a 4wd running in the ditch wouldn't bother me as much ....:lol:

MySons68C20 09-13-2021 02:28 PM

Same as Grumpy. Flaming River

Lethal Tendencies 09-13-2021 03:33 PM

Go for the quality. I bought a cheap ebay one for $300 for my last truck. What a POS. the bearing went bad after a week.

dmjlambert 09-13-2021 05:57 PM

I am enjoying my rebuilt and shortened original stock steering column. I guess if I didn't have a steering column at all I would buy a used one and have it rebuilt and shortened.

Peanut74 09-13-2021 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info. I do have two old columns that are wore out and I don't want to use them. I figure the $200 to $300 ones are crap and I really only want to do this once.

indymachinist 09-13-2021 10:10 PM

Factory gm, ididit, or flaming river only.

tdangle 09-13-2021 11:03 PM

If you have the funds, get the best you can. I have a tilt CPP and while it is OK, It just doesn't feel as solid as the stock one did. I've had it a few years now and one of these days will change it out.

jumpsoffrock 09-13-2021 11:30 PM

$800!!!! Wow I am glad steering columns aren't my problem/goals...

Peanut74 09-14-2021 08:45 PM

Found another concern the neutral safety/backup light switch. The ones I have been looking at do not come with so I am concerned that I will run into problems getting one without the switch. Looking at the columns themselves I don't see any holes for the switch.

72c20customcamper 09-14-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmjlambert (Post 8970242)
I am enjoying my rebuilt and shortened original stock steering column. I guess if I didn't have a steering column at all I would buy a used one and have it rebuilt and shortened.

I got a rebuilt oem tilt that was shortened for the 72. Very happy with it may have to get one for my 68

dagnabbitt 09-14-2021 09:08 PM

I haven't tried the Flaming River but that stainless finish sure is preferable to chrome imo, depending upon the look you are going for, of course.

SoCoC10 09-18-2021 07:28 AM

Buy a GM column. If an original truck tilt isn’t in your budget, get a van or RV column. Check the parts for sale area. I’ve bought 8 or 10 of them from Member clay68. He disassembles them, cleans and greases the bearings, relocates the neutral safety switch and installs turn signal switch and gear indicator(as needed) for the same price as a garbage Chinese column.

BigBird05 09-19-2021 05:29 AM

2X on what SoCo10 said go to the parts for sale posts. Plenty of members selling rebuilt factory columns. They will be better than after market. You can maybe get one of them to rebuild one of your columns and use the other one for parts if you need any.

Peanut74 09-19-2021 04:58 PM

Thanks, I'll look on the parts board.

Hatzman 09-20-2021 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peanut74 (Post 8970172)
Before I order my new steering column I wanted to check with the group to see if I'm on the best path.

What I am planning on ordering is a CPP chrome, tilt, automatic steering column. I have been told the CPP retooled their columns are good quality. It comes with the shift and turn levers. With shipping and such it comes in around $520. What do you Y'all think?

Get with randy500. He is a member here and sells a solid product. He rebuilds original columns. I love mine!

Blazerowner 09-20-2021 11:01 PM

Is the CPP column Chinese made? I wouldn’t even consider it if it is.

jocko 09-21-2021 12:08 AM

another vote for randy500 - haven't bought from him (yet), but the unsolicited reviews from very satisfied customers on this board tell the tale. When the time comes, I will go to him for a column or rebuild without hesitation. Nothing really beats a nice GM column, so why not spend the $ rebuilding a quality piece rather than experimenting with flaming river, cpp, etc - some of them may actually be high quality, but when it comes to what looks right in your cab, original far exceeds any other option in my humble opinion. Also echo Troy's note above about the van van tilt option - can be done easily and they are always less $ than a true truck tilt - but same level of quality.

Mbeef61 09-21-2021 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocko (Post 8973825)
another vote for randy500 - haven't bought from him (yet), but the unsolicited reviews from very satisfied customers on this board tell the tale. When the time comes, I will go to him for a column or rebuild without hesitation. Nothing really beats a nice GM column, so why not spend the $ rebuilding a quality piece rather than experimenting with flaming river, cpp, etc - some of them may actually be high quality, but when it comes to what looks right in your cab, original far exceeds any other option in my humble opinion. Also echo Troy's note above about the van van tilt option - can be done easily and they are always less $ than a true truck tilt - but same level of quality.

I have bought from him in the past and tried to look him up and I see his account is suspended?

Peanut74 09-21-2021 08:17 AM

Re: New steering column quality vs cost

Since Randy500 can't be reached. What other board members sell rebuilt column shift, tilt steering column that people would recommend?

fun in dirt 09-21-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbeef61 (Post 8973857)
I have bought from him in the past and tried to look him up and I see his account is suspended?

Maybe he was suspended for a reason ... I don't know the reason, but did buy a column from him almost 2yrs ago & just recently put it in. Lots I want to say here, but will stick to the facts specific to mine:
- He was very courteous & column packaged well & shipped when he said.
- It LOOKED great.
- Hazard switch was jammed in & would not pull out.
- When took apart to fix the switch found the upper bearing was installed in wrong side of piece under turn signal switch.
- Lower bearing installed on shaft at wrong distance from end.
This all has been a total pain in my ass & the thing that has delayed me from being able to take the maiden voyage in my truck this past weekend, so no I'm not impressed with his work to say the least!

dmjlambert 09-21-2021 08:49 AM

KevsClassics is recommended by several board members, and anew4961 is recommended by Grumpy old man in this other thread https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=826030.

If you have a steering column shortened, I recommend have the person doing it shorten the outer jacket and shift tube and move the neutral safety and reverse light switch closer to the steering wheel, which Randy did for me. That way the transmission linkage position does not change under the hood. And have the center shaft shortened and re-splined. Randy did not shorten and re-spline my center shaft and instead used a spacer tube. He had considered shortening it and did the spacer instead. It works great, but I had to re-route my parking brake cable slightly and that part annoyed me. I would prefer everything under the hood be in the same position as before shortening. Non-tilt steering columns can be shortened more than tilt columns. The huge majority of people want tilt columns, I'm not sure why and I like my non-tilt column just fine. Mine was the first non-tilt column that Randy had worked on. Mine is now shorter by 2.5 inches and it is very nice having the steering wheel further away.

leddzepp 09-21-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbeef61 (Post 8973857)

Read this:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=810493

OP, if you are looking for a rebuilt column board members 70shortfleet and KevsClassics sell rebuilt OEM tilt columns.

lks dcvn 09-21-2021 09:54 AM

I'll second the mention for 70shortfleet. I have bought more than 1 from him. My most recent was a 4 speed, non-tilt for my 1970 GMC Jimmy that was color matched for my 1 year only blue poly color that he luckily had some of. Top notch experience and would buy from again.

tim_mc 09-22-2021 08:10 AM

Re: New steering column quality vs cost

I also got a rebuilt GM tilt from Les (70shortfleet) and sold my CPP one on CL - wish I would have just stepped up for a GM column to begin with. My cousin just got one from Les for his '71 K10. Fortunately for me Les is nearby, so I got the nickel tour of his shop and talked trucks for a while.