The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-07-2015 01:02 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
then it was time to get creative with not one but two pullers co-mingled together to make a super puller to git that stubborn drum off

now when you do this, be careful you don't have to twist like you re raising the Titanic, just put some pressure on the puller and tap the drum with yer hammer, she will pop and eventually let go

a bit of lubrication don't hurt none either

the bigger 3 arm puller is an 8" from Harbor Freight, costs about $18 bucks, it has some extensions from a smaller 2 arm puller not shown

Gregski 03-07-2015 01:06 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
so here is that driver side rear brake EXPOSED, what were you trying to hide Rusty? Hmmm

Titomars 03-07-2015 01:08 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7079506)
lets clean this thing so we can paint it flat black

... there that's a bit better

A small warning about painting the booster. In no time the paint will be off it in areas due to the normal brake fluid seepage. That is why they were never painted. You might try something epoxy based.

Gregski 03-07-2015 01:08 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
alright while the paint on that power booster is drying lets take a look at the new replacement master cylinder

bigger front disk brake chamber in the front the way it was meant to be on the new one

Gregski 03-07-2015 01:10 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7079526)
A small warning about painting the booster. In no time the paint will be off it in areas due to the normal brake fluid seepage. That is why they were never painted. You might try something epoxy based.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo~!

This dude has a black one: Engine compartment transformed in 12 days

rich weyand 03-07-2015 03:35 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7079471)
thank you all for helping me with the fuel issue

my tank has a vent that goes to the filler neck and then two hoses run to the engine bay one for fuel the other for evap to the charcoal canister....

The vent in the filler neck is to allow air to get around the inrush of gasoline from the pump. This does not vent the tank, because it is connected to the filler neck below the cap, not to the outside.

The vent to the evap canister should be venting your tank. I am surprised though that you have no return line from the fuel pump. I have supply line and return line, but no vent line.

You should do the check I mentioned above. Drive it till it dies, then open the gas cap and see if there is a vacuum in the tank. This will cause fuel starvation as you are apparently experiencing. If there is vacuum in the tank, you need to figure out why the vent line through the evap canister is not working.

If there is vacuum in the tank, the short term fix to make it drivable while you work out the problem is to drill the gas cap. If you are subject to CA emissions, that will need to be replaced before your next check. Otherwise you may just treat it as a permanent fix.

rich weyand 03-07-2015 03:41 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7079529)
alright while the paint on that power booster is drying lets take a look at the new replacement master cylinder

bigger front disk brake chamber in the front the way it was meant to be on the new one

That looks like the same one that has been on mine the last four years. The older one was smaller, as your older one is, but I don't recall which order the two reservoirs were in.

Oh, and I painted my master cylinder black with Rustoleum Gloss Black three years ago after the bare metal unit started to show surface rust within a year. Paint condition is still fine despite the inevitable spills when topping off.

Titomars 03-07-2015 11:55 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7079664)

Oh, and I painted my master cylinder black with Rustoleum Gloss Black three years ago after the bare metal unit started to show surface rust within a year. Paint condition is still fine despite the inevitable spills when topping off.

Humm maybe that's the secret, Rustoleum. I just don't have the patients to wait days for that stuff to dry. Unfortunately my vehicle has to run. It can't sit around torn down for days, weeks, months. I generally plan my work out for 1 1/4 days on the weekend. if the job takes more than that I have to plan vacation time to cover completing the job.

Gregski 03-07-2015 12:32 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7079111)
... No vent line means vented cap.

Of course you can check it by driving it till it stops, then open the gas cap. Sucking sound, then runs fine means no vent line.

When I got to the gas station when it stalled out on me, I did open the gas cap and there was no sucking sound. So I did this test without even know it.

rich weyand 03-07-2015 12:56 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7079918)
Humm maybe that's the secret, Rustoleum. I just don't have the patients to wait days for that stuff to dry. Unfortunately my vehicle has to run. It can't sit around torn down for days, weeks, months. I generally plan my work out for 1 1/4 days on the weekend. if the job takes more than that I have to plan vacation time to cover completing the job.

Mine's a daily driver, too. I just brush-painted it in place and let it dry on its own time. Done.

rich weyand 03-07-2015 12:57 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7079956)
When I got to the gas station when it stalled out on me, I did open the gas cap and there was no sucking sound. So I did this test without even know it.

Not venting then. Huh.

greg64 03-07-2015 12:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
So where are the rear brakes leaking from?

About painting master cylinders, I don't have much luck. The fluid eventually takes the paint off. I've even thought about starting over with new everything so I can switch to DOT5, which is silicone based and doesn't eat paint.

Gregski 03-07-2015 06:18 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
cleaned the drums and this might have been an even dumber idea than painting the power booster, here is one side before it flash rusted

Gregski 03-07-2015 06:19 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
2 Attachment(s)
and here is the other side, not even 10 minutes later, I did spray em with WD40 to keep the rust at bay but they didn't stand a chance

Gregski 03-07-2015 06:20 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
and side by side before the second drum flash rusted

Titomars 03-07-2015 06:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7079978)
So where are the rear brakes leaking from?

About painting master cylinders, I don't have much luck. The fluid eventually takes the paint off. I've even thought about starting over with new everything so I can switch to DOT5, which is silicone based and doesn't eat paint.

Eventually that is the direction I will go. Right now my brake system works perfectly.

rich weyand 03-07-2015 08:46 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
I have see-through wheels, so I painted the outside of the drums.

cnorth 03-07-2015 09:44 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7078140)
yes but you will have to cut one of the white plastic pieces with a box cutter to get it to slip over one of the ball joints, that's what I had to do, the other way to go is to buy the black ones


I did not see any in black but i will look again

The new air cleaner looks good by the way

77K10Silverado 03-07-2015 10:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Powder coated my drums. Done!

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:31 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
prepped the fire wall a little bit before mounting the brake booster back on

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:33 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
so after allowing the paint to dry for a few days it was time to start putting the power booster back on

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:35 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
3 Attachment(s)
then the new master cylinder

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Time To Bleed The Brakes

Hey teenager can you help me bleed the brakes ~ I hollered at my 13 year old

"Sure dad I would love to get out of the house and away from this retina damaging computer screen, you think we can fit a big block in here!"

is what I thought I heard, but it was more like

"Can't mom is taking us to get haircuts"

... so it's gonna be another one man brake bleed operation...


enaberif 03-08-2015 10:39 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7081861)
Time To Bleed The Brakes

Hey teenager can you help me bleed the brakes ~ I hollered at my 13 year old

"Sure dad I would love to get out of the house and away from this retina damaging computer screen, you think we can fit a big block in here!"

is what I thought I heard, but it was more like

"Can't mom is taking us to get haircuts"

... so it's gonna be another one man brake bleed operation...


Gravity bleed them :P Or get a one man bleeder that works off a vacuum pump.

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:45 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
There is a number of ways to bleed the brakes by yourself, I like to use them Speed Bleeder fittings. So I take one out from the rear wheel of my truck and head out to the parts house

Looks like I need the 5/16th -24 fittings - got it.

Hit NAPA - all they got is the 3/8th - 24 ones

Hit Pep Boyz - they don't got any

Hit O'Reilly's - they only go the 3/8th - 24 ones

Finally find a set at AutoZone, cool got it

Come home, screw the first fitting in, swing around to the other side to screw in the other, what the heck, this one is the 3/8ths one, come to the front of the truck these are 3/8ths ones as well

What the heck the only 5/16ths fitting on my truck is that first wheel I tried ~ UNBELIEVABLE!

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:47 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
so back to the parts house to get more [different] fittings

Fun Fact: the smaller 5/16ths fittings are $14 bucks the larger 3/8ths ones $10

77K10Silverado 03-08-2015 10:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Always a challenge it seems. Good story!

Gregski 03-08-2015 10:56 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
5 Attachment(s)
also got a chance to paint the tailgate this weekend, and learned you can't walk in to a auto paint supply house and ask them for paint in different sheens, like you do at the Home Depot

Apparently they can't put a flat finish in a rattle can, so it's hard to match your 40 year old paint that has faded over the years, so here's what $50 bucks worth of best match paint and a prayer will do

prepped, and then a shot after each coat

(yes the trick is to put the final coat upside down - now you know how the amateurs do it)

Gregski 03-08-2015 11:00 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
4 Attachment(s)
here's how it turned out - I can live with it... IT"S A TRUCK !!!

whacha all think, not bad for a lawn paint job?

Motherfrog402 03-08-2015 11:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Of course, now you know you're going to want to do the rest of the truck!

Looks good!

y5mgisi 03-09-2015 01:05 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Looks pretty good!

Titomars 03-09-2015 01:26 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Looking great there Gregski. I would not mind driving that around as a daily driver myself.

greg64 03-09-2015 09:31 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Tailgate looks great, Greg. Brakes look good, do they work good?

After years of bleeding brakes with a helper, I broke down and bought a vacuum bleeder that works off compressed air. I'm never going back. This thing bleeds each wheel cylinder in about 30 seconds and you can do everything by yourself.

What about a rear bumper for Rusty?

Gregski 03-09-2015 11:17 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7082282)
Tailgate looks great, Greg. Brakes look good, do they work good?

Yes they work, I'm glad. One less thing to worry about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7082282)
What about a rear bumper for Rusty?

Going with a roll pan, the one with the license plate cut out, like this

Brent7654 03-09-2015 02:58 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Back to your fuel delivery issue. The holley you have has a site plug on the passenger side of the fuel bowl. If you think your starving for fuel pull the plug and see if your bowl is filling up.

enaberif 03-09-2015 03:03 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Don't do roll pan. Get a nice sport chrome bumper will look so much better.

rusty76 03-09-2015 04:26 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
You're getting there.

Chrispbrown36 03-09-2015 05:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
I think a black step bumper would look good back there with that olive green color. Never have liked roll pans for some reason though so I am a bit biased.
Really enjoying reading all of this man and I am impressed with your eye for detail. Keep it up man....before too long you will have to change the name to the truck formerly known as Rusty.

Gregski 03-09-2015 06:50 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent7654 (Post 7082716)
Back to your fuel delivery issue. The holley you have has a site plug on the passenger side of the fuel bowl. If you think your starving for fuel pull the plug and see if your bowl is filling up.

Thanks for the tip I will have to look for that.

Gregski 03-09-2015 06:55 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty
 
Fuel Problem ~ Discovery

Guys maybe you can tell me what is going on when you read this.

So I took the truck for another test drive, identical to the last one. I drove it about a mile to the same gas station, then I shut it off, I waited 10 minutes and then tried to start it. It would not start, it just cranked over and over and over.

I checked the fuel in the see through glass filter right in front of the carb and it was full of nice clean gas.

Here's where it gets interesting:

I pressed the gas pedal all the way down to the floor and held it there while trying to start it, and it fired right up!!!

Gentlemen and Ladies, what does that tell us? What does this mean? Seems like some sort of break through for sure, I just don't know what it means.



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2022 67-72chevytrucks.com