The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

LT7A 09-12-2021 10:06 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

Great work on the seat structure. I've actually shifted to painting with a brush when it's feasible. I feel like the paint will be more durable since it doesn't need to have a high enough percentage of solvent to be propelled airborne. Those tracks came out particularly nice.

I'm probably more an analog guy than digital, so I won't needle you about your gauge choice...

I know they said 8 to 10 weeks to get your seat cover but when you look back on it I bet it won't seem like it took much more than a couple of months...

LT7A 09-12-2021 10:06 PM

Great work on the seat structure. I've actually shifted to painting with a brush when it's feasible. I feel like the paint will be more durable since it doesn't need to have a high enough percentage of solvent to be propelled airborne. Those tracks came out particularly nice.

I'm probably more an analog guy than digital, so I won't needle you about your gauge choice...

I know they said 8 to 10 weeks to get your seat cover but when you look back on it I bet it won't seem like it took much more than a couple of months...

Gregski 09-12-2021 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kipps (Post 8969980)
If you're selling it locally, I would think 7k would be in the ballpark.

I like that number, it's a good starting point, but I must adjust it to California overinflation, ha ha

honestly I am even considering a trade for a 2010(ish) hatchback and a dirty joke I haven't heard yet

Gregski 09-12-2021 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8969988)

Too Funny !!!

Gregski 09-13-2021 08:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
honestly having this faded strip above the tinted rear slider didn't bother me one bit

the splatter on the plastic is from another project (ie us painting the bench seat frame earlier on, remember?)

Gregski 09-13-2021 08:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just got sick and tired of people telling me I should paint it, so I finally gave in, in my driveway none the less, figure I'll give my HOA something to complain about, ha ha

shown with the plastic torn off but the blue tape still on there

Fun Challenge: What year, make and model is that thing in the garage?

... and For Extra Credit: What motor/trans combo does it have and what octane gas am I running, ha ha? (you should tell from the smell)

Gregski 09-13-2021 10:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
men that's sexy, not to mention it just totally added $12.50 to the value of the truck

Gregski 09-13-2021 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
here we go...

Gregski 09-13-2021 09:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and some parting shots of those Intellitronix gauges

I did mention they was cheap didn't I?

Gregski 09-13-2021 09:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Digital Gauges - never been raced!

coming to a Craigslist near you :haha:

Gregski 09-13-2021 09:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
nothing like a clean canvas

Gregski 09-13-2021 09:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Man I waited 2 years to try these, whacha all think?

when I picked the Sports Comp II series I was going for the least offensive, I wanted black bezels but didn't want to pay AutoMeter $30 bucks per gauge to paint them black for me, I should know I spoke to their [ahem] "Customer Service"

Gregski 09-13-2021 10:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
oh gawd nooooooo (he's not going to use that is he???)

Gregski 09-13-2021 10:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Bruh, wouldn't a Dremel be a wiser choice? Don't you have one?

Why yes, yes I do.... also broken! I swear this stop spinning thing is contagious in my garage

Gregski 09-13-2021 10:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
so we just use that metal bit to rough out the edges like so, and then we smooth them out with this sand drum thingie and the pink spinner thingie

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
now I do own and have considered using a hole saw, but the last time I used it, it didn't perform so well

I used this 2 5/8th once to cut a hole in some wood and it got distorted and misshaped, in other words it's no longer perfectly round, but slightly oval and I didn't wanna risk cracking the plastic or having it walk all over it like a bad drill bit, hope that makes sense

that and I looked for one with fine teeth but couldn't find one

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
so there, one is in, 47 to go...

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
ok, so that was the little guy, now let's see how the big one will fit

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and bowfties... not too shabby - what do you think? post up a comment

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
we now interrupt this Upgrade to bring you another FTS (Fix Dat Shizzle) for sale upgrade

this broken corner has been bugging me for years, it has been lost and found half a dozen times, survived 4 house moves, and a bad encounter with Gorilla glue, ha ha

let's see if we can fix it

By the way, Crazy Glue (if it's still called that) is/was absolutely amazing and 100% effective each and every time in sticking your fingers together! Am I right or am I right folks? Please share your fun moment with that magical concoction below.

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
now to the common laymen (or laywomen) this may appear as a run of the mill soldiering iron, but the more daring of you will clearly see it for what it is: Plastic Meltor 3000

I think it turned out ok, and honestly the only reason the crack still appears is because like I mentioned earlier at first I tried using Gorilla glue on it and the residue is still there creating that slight separation (had I not tried that first, you wouldn't even be able to see the crack)

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and now for the Strength Test, yup it will do!

add another $12.50 to the value of the truck

Gregski 09-14-2021 04:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Gauge Upgrade Project

Fun Level:

SCOTI 09-14-2021 09:47 AM

Devils advocate..... It's still a 'cracked bezel'. If I were purchasing a used truck & saw that, my mind would be thinking about the cost of a new bezel which is equal to not adding value 'as-is'. Fill the crack void & get some texture agent + fresh satin black to help your cause.

Gregski 09-14-2021 11:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I am lovin' these new gauges, you'll be able to read 'em from the back seat!