The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 02-20-2015 11:14 AM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Brake Pedal Disassembly

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7057482)
Lubriplate lithium grease. Stable over a very broad temperature so you don't have the clutch and brakes work differently when it's cold versus when it's hot. Excellent for metal on metal, metal on plastic/nylon bushings, roller bearings, etc.

http://www.skygeek.com/lubriplate-63...4-oz-tube.html

How about this one from Home Depot Rich, so I don't have to wait on the shipping? Will this work?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lucas-Oil...0533/202535870

rich weyand 02-20-2015 12:28 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

That should work. Lubriplate is the brand I have the most faith in, but white lithium grease is what you want.

68post 02-20-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7057783)
That should work. Lubriplate is the brand I have the most faith in, but white lithium grease is what you want.

Me too , their "Aeroplate" is the only grease ,( beside Genie's over-priced grease ), that'll work in cold weather to grease a screw-drive garage door operator rail/screw and not drag the noisy p.o.s. down ! (I had to find out the hard way )

rusty76 02-20-2015 06:11 PM

Looking great. You do go all the way out!

greg64 02-20-2015 06:17 PM

I agree with Rich that the lithium grease is the stuff to use. But how far wrong can you really go? Any grease is going to be better then the dry fittings you currently have.

rich weyand 02-20-2015 06:32 PM

The biggest issue is to get one with a wide temperature range, so 1) it doesn't get tight when cold and 2) doesn't run and drip when hot. That's why I say a lithium grease.

Gregski 02-20-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7057482)
Lubriplate lithium grease. Stable over a very broad temperature so you don't have the clutch and brakes work differently when it's cold versus when it's hot. Excellent for metal on metal, metal on plastic/nylon bushings, roller bearings, etc.

http://www.skygeek.com/lubriplate-63...4-oz-tube.html

Note To Self: if you are going to ask Rich for advice than be a man and follow his advice~ hee hee

just bought 14 oz Tube of Lubriplate 630-2 NLGI No. 2 Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease from Sky Geek, it always stings a bit when you pay more for shipping $12 bucks than the actual product $6 bucks. Oh well

Gregski 02-20-2015 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusty76 (Post 7058167)
Looking great. You do go all the way out!

Thank you, I hate half @ssing stuff, so I try not to do that, time and funds permitting of course

rich weyand 02-20-2015 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7058247)
Note To Self: if you are going to ask Rich for advice than be a man and follow his advice~ hee hee

just bought 14 oz Tube of Lubriplate 630-2 NLGI No. 2 Multi-Purpose Lithium Grease from Sky Geek, it always stings a bit when you pay more for shipping $12 bucks than the actual product $6 bucks. Oh well

HAHAHA.

The good news is that tube will probably last you forever. It's good for all kinds of things -- cars, motorcycles, toy trains, CD-ROM drive tray sliders, garage door openers, barbecue rotisserie motors, lawn mowers, etcetcetc. If it has gears or bearings or bushings, and doesn't have active lubrication from a sump (like engine, trans, transfer case and diff all do) then it's the way to go. But it doesn't take much. No need to glop it on. A 14 oz. tube is a lifetime supply for most people. I'm still using a 1-lb. tin of it my father gave me 50+ years ago.

rich weyand 02-20-2015 07:56 PM

Oh, BTW, be careful with that stuff. If you drop a glop of it on the floor, people will be losing their footing on that spot for the next hundred years no matter what you do to wipe it up.

Use very sparingly.

Gregski 02-20-2015 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich weyand (Post 7058302)
HAHAHA.

The good news is that tube will probably last you forever. It's good for all kinds of things -- cars, motorcycles, toy trains, CD-ROM drive tray sliders, garage door openers, barbecue rotisserie motors, lawn mowers, etcetcetc.

Honey, honey... this guy says I need to buy a motorcycle [again] or the expensive grease I bought is going to go to waste !!! Honey?

rich weyand 02-20-2015 09:01 PM

Hey! Don't get her mad at ME!

Gregski 02-20-2015 11:14 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Brake Pedal Parts

2 Attachment(s)
spent some time cleaning the tiny bits

remember these rusty brake pedal parts, here they are after a night in an acid bath

Gregski 02-20-2015 11:15 PM

oh snap, where's that hair pin clip thingie ???

Gregski 02-20-2015 11:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
lets see if I lost any parts during the clutch pedal part cleaning

Gregski 02-21-2015 12:50 AM

2 Attachment(s)
picked up some Dormans' BRAKE & CLUTCH BUSHINGS from O'Reillys' for $4.00 bucks (two pairs of bushings from LMC Truck would run me $23 bucks)

The package is for FORD / GM so you know what that means? It don't fit good neither of them? LOL

On the back it reads:

Ford Cars 1994-73

GM Cars and Trucks 1995-55

but they don't tell you which is which, AWESOME!

I believe two of the three pairs might could work. I say might could, cause one pair fits kinda snug (like the original brake one did) the other fits a bit loose (like the original clutch one did)

HOWEVER questions being.

- Was the original brake one snug cause it was rusted and dry as a bone, or is it supposed to be that way?

- Was the original clutch one loose cause it was deteriorated and worn out, or is it supposed to be that way?

Better question is how should these fit? Should the metal sleeve rotated freely in the plastic bushings or should it be snug in there and not move? Who knows?

rich weyand 02-21-2015 01:02 AM

The flange on a bushing points at the part with respect to which the bushing should stay stationary, and away from the part with respect to which the bushing should move.

So in both of those, the shaft should rotate within the bushing.

Gregski 02-21-2015 01:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
also picked up this PEDAL AND SHIFT LINKAGE BUSHING KIT for $7.00 bucks also by Dormans'

DODGE/FORD/GM... hmmm even worse, LOL

CONTENTS (Russian roulette style)

3 Selector Lever Bushings
1 Throttle Valve Bushing
1 Pedal Bushing

... again no idea which is which, might as well say "STUFF"

I hope the white one on the bottom will fit / work in the top hole of the clutch pedal to receive the metal rod/linkage, we shall see

FYI - LMC Truck does not carry this part (they hardly have what I really need, they seem to specialize in what I want though, if you get what I'm saying)

Do I dare go to the Stealership for these?!

Gregski 02-21-2015 01:12 AM

2 Attachment(s)
one of the challenges of putting something together where it could have had parts missing even before you touched it, is not knowing what's missing

Could someone tell me please what went on this stub on the clutch pedal?

(thanks for nothing GM Service Manual)

68post 02-21-2015 01:25 AM

Yes, the safety start switch that will only let the starter crank when the clutch pedal is depressed (no start in gear / clutch out ).

68post 02-21-2015 01:26 AM

Is yours tuck-up under the dash ?

greg64 02-21-2015 08:38 AM

Greg, what goes on that stub on the pedal is a big tension spring. What it does is hold the pedal in the fully up position, so the the weight of the pedal doesn't cause the throwout bearing to constantly ride against the clutch fingers. But it also increases the pressure to disengage the clutch a bit. The throwout bearings weren't intended to spin constantly when our trucks were made. But I think most modern throwout bearings actually do spin all the time.

Gregski 02-21-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7058733)
Yes, the safety start switch that will only let the starter crank when the clutch pedal is depressed (no start in gear / clutch out ).

I believe the white piece which is the start safety switch thing you are refering to goes into the second hole from the top on the pedal, the first hole from the top being for the down rod linkage

Gregski 02-21-2015 11:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7058873)
Greg, what goes on that stub on the pedal is a big tension spring. What it does is hold the pedal in the fully up position, so the the weight of the pedal doesn't cause the throwout bearing to constantly ride against the clutch fingers. But it also increases the pressure to disengage the clutch a bit. The throwout bearings weren't intended to spin constantly when our trucks were made. But I think most modern throwout bearings actually do spin all the time.

Thanks whish I had a pic, cause even LMC Truck fails me in this regard, I believe their clutch pedal diagram shows more of a G Model than the C-K

greg64 02-21-2015 11:54 AM

Greg, I found the following picture that kinda shows what's going on:
http://s181.photobucket.com/user/Die...ts013.jpg.html
It's a 72, but the basic idea is the same. Sort of an over-center design.

It may be that those springs on your z-bar effectively serve the same purpose.

Gregski 02-21-2015 12:10 PM

[quote=greg64;7059038]Greg, I found the following picture that kinda shows what's going on:

thank you so much

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7059038)

I thought the same thing too, perhaps GM was reusing common parts, and just grabbed a pedal they already had

... and I don't mean to be a Drama Queen, but I just like doing things right and in order to put this linkage together properly I would like to know what I am missing and where it goes, capish?

Titomars 02-21-2015 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7059038)
Greg, I found the following picture that kinda shows what's going on:

No it is called an over-center spring. it is a big garage door looking spring. the other mount point is high up on the pedal support. the mount point on the pedal support looks just like the pedal one. you will see it with a light and you looking up under the dash. It does not add effort to the pedal feel. What it does is pulls the clutch pedal and linkage back to unload the throwout brg. completely. if it were there and you did not have the pedal hooked up to the clutch it would hold the pedal in the "up" position till you depress the pedal about 1/2 inch then it would send the pedal to the floor with a nice bang. You need it or you will wear out throwout brearings.
Warning this spring is one very strong spring they are a real pain to deal with. Hook the top first then use a brake tool to "stretch" it over the pedal pin. It's a bit easier if you have the pedal on the floor.

rich weyand 02-21-2015 12:31 PM

Hey, Gregski:

I found these in my PDF illustrated parts book, clipped the pages out and uploaded them to my site for you. Download them so I don't need to leave them on my site forever. I can also look up part numbers for specific parts if you need it. Sometimes the best way to find a part is just google the GM part number.

http://users.rcn.com/weyand/smalls/7...utchPedals.pdf

http://users.rcn.com/weyand/smalls/73-78Clutch.pdf

You might also want to purchase the CDs of the parts books. I copied the CDs to my machine, and can scroll the whole book.

http://horn-relay.dvautoparts.com/di...s-s-tiixsn8agk

68post 02-21-2015 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7058965)
I believe the white piece which is the start safety switch thing you are refering to goes into the second hole from the top on the pedal, the first hole from the top being for the down rod linkage

Sorry, I thought the switch was on a post, ( been ten years since I had to fix my last manual truck), didn't see yours hanging below the dash anywhere and thought it had been deleted ( ie.. "Bubba fixed").

Titomars 02-21-2015 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68post (Post 7059085)
Sorry, I thought the switch was on a post, ( been ten years since I had to fix my last manual truck), didn't see yours hanging below the dash anywhere and thought it had been deleted ( ie.. "Bubba fixed").

Hah! Just call me "Bubba" then because I absolutely hate those clutch start switches. They are the 2nd thing I remove from a new to me vehicle. The first thing you ask...... those damn silly buzzers.

68post 02-21-2015 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7059101)
Hah! Just call me "Bubba" then because I absolutely hate those clutch start switches. They are the 2nd thing I remove from a new to me vehicle. The first thing you ask...... those damn silly buzzers.

...hey Bubba...LOL

Gregski 02-21-2015 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Titomars (Post 7059063)
No it is called an over-center spring. it is a big garage door looking spring.

Might could this be it? Found it in the bed of the truck when I bought it, thought to my self what's this garage spring doing here, and tossed it in the spare truck parts bin, LOL

Titomars 02-21-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7059280)
Might could this be it? Found it in the bed of the truck when I bought it, thought to my self what's this garage spring doing here, and tossed it in the spare truck parts bin, LOL

yup that looks like it. the coil part is about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in diameter heavy gauge wire almost 1/4 inch in diameter. That is a common failure too

Chaplain 02-21-2015 08:44 PM

You guys never give up. Good job...discussion, ideas, shared e-documents and scavenger search for old parts as well as assembly of new parts. Oh and all that with miles between us all.

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaplain (Post 7059648)
You guys never give up. Good job...discussion, ideas, shared e-documents and scavenger search for old parts as well as assembly of new parts. Oh and all that with miles between us all.

It's how we do!

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:34 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted Brake Pedal

4 Attachment(s)
you guys didn't think I was just eatin' and sleepin' the last few days did you?

here is the brake pedal, original, wire brushed, acid dipped, and finally painted

Gregski 02-21-2015 09:49 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Painted Clutch Pedal

4 Attachment(s)
a better man would have separated these two pieces, taken the clutch pedal completely apart, but hey "IT'S A TRUCK!!!"

first pic - original custom Rust Patina

second pic - after using a 4" angle grinder with a wire brush

third pic - brushed on some Phosphoric acid to get into nooks and cranies

fourth pic - not drying paint inside the house on our beautiful hardwood floor, honey

Gregski 02-21-2015 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
with all the pedals and linkage bits drying it was time to move on to the transmission

first we used the "skateboard" as my daughter calls it to relocate it to the triage facility

rusty76 02-21-2015 10:14 PM

I sure am learning a lot here today.!

Gregski 02-21-2015 10:25 PM

5 Attachment(s)
took off the rubber padded bracket that holds the transmission to the cross member, in order to clean both pieces more better

making a mental note that it goes back on there a certain way, seems like it sits closer to the passenger side as it is a bit off center by design