The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-14-2015 09:37 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
here is a little trick, you can use paper towels to keep the acid from running off the piece you are trying to treat and maintain wetness longer

you know me and paper towels, LOL their not just for cleaning up dog pee off the carpet, JK

Gregski 03-14-2015 09:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
alright here are the results after the second treatment, not bad, we are slowly getting there, but as predicted it is going to take a third one

Gregski 03-14-2015 09:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
good thing I decided to go to bare metal cause I think there was rust lurking underneath the green paint, now it's hard to call it since the primer was black and the rust spots were black, so we took a wire wheel to them and then even an orbital sander for a quick pass with each, then back to a final acid coat and our new friend Mr. Wool... Steel Wool

lots of work, but not bad at all

Gregski 03-15-2015 01:40 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - Hood Hinge

2 Attachment(s)
so I was in a take it apart kind a mood this Sunday morning and took the hood hinge off (one side only, Gregie style) in order to take the fender off to replace it

Gregski 03-15-2015 01:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some parting shots of the old rusty fender, anything not to work on the rusty hood, lol

and she's off, as even more crud falls to the garage floor... Dusty? Dusty where are you? Suck this stuff up right now...

Gregski 03-15-2015 01:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
and a little side by side action

Old Fender (left)

New Old Fender (right) OEM none of that after market "over seas" beer can thick holes misaligned stuff for Rusty, nothing but the best, LOL

LSX408 03-15-2015 02:41 PM

Looks good!

rusty76 03-15-2015 05:37 PM

It's funny but I second thought the acid after I posted that....lol.

greg64 03-15-2015 07:10 PM

It's a shame the fenders are made as they are. They pack up with crud behind there and rust out. My driver's side isn't so good, but I already have a replacement.

So the truck is called Rusty, and the shop vac is called Dusty? Too funny :lol:

Are you cleaning up the hood hinges while the hood is off? Man, those hoods have lots of area, don't they. Seemed like I was sanding forever when I painted mine.

Gregski 03-15-2015 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7091767)
So the truck is called Rusty, and the shop vac is called Dusty? Too funny :lol:

Don't ask what I call the Ol' lady then?!

Gregski 03-15-2015 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
always bag and tag your bits, yes today it makes sense where they go, but how about two soccer tournaments, a gynastix regional, a black belt promotion, one wedding and two funerals (for goldfish - don't ask) later, will you know where they go then?

as a bonus I like to soak 'em in - you guessed it PB Master Blaster... or [wait for it] Mineral Spirits

Gregski 03-15-2015 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7091767)
It's a shame the fenders are made as they are. They pack up with crud behind there and rust out.

Yup no one at GM got a Nobel Pizza Slice for that design

and now for a General Motors Think Tank Flashback

[Engineer #1] Bob I hear you, yes that will make the fender indestructable but won't that make a pocket for water and crud to collect in

[Engineer #2] Yeah sure, but it will take years for that Pittsburgh steel to rust through

[Engineer #3] It will never happen, steel like that won't rust for a quarter of a century if not more, not like anybody is going to be driving these trucks in 40 years

[All Together] No doubt, lets keep that design!

Gregski 03-15-2015 07:38 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty - New Old Fender Mounted

1 Attachment(s)
New [Old] Fender - Money Shot

... best part ~ No Badge!

greg64 03-15-2015 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7091810)
always bag and tag your bits, yes today it makes sense where they go, but how about two soccer tournaments, a gynastix regional, a black belt promotion, one wedding and two funerals (for goldfish - don't ask) later, will you know where they go then?

as a bonus I like to soak 'em in - you guessed it PB Master Blaster... or [wait for it] Mineral Spirits

Greg, that's exactly what I do; labeled ziplock bags. When I take the parts off I figure I'll remember exactly where they go. After about a year, I looked at some of my suburban bags and thought "huh?". Good thing they were labeled.

greg64 03-15-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7091819)
New [Old] Fender - Money Shot

... best part ~ No Badge!

Which do you want first? The good news or the bad news? :lol:

The good news: the fender looks great compared to what came off.

The bad news: the door now looks a little worse then it did before.

cnorth 03-15-2015 07:53 PM

hey Greg will that acid that you bought from Home Depot work on door panels,trying to get rid of the PO's attempt at painting so I can duplicolor other all my stuff

Gregski 03-15-2015 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cnorth (Post 7091835)
hey Greg will that acid that you bought from Home Depot work on door panels,trying to get rid of the PO's attempt at painting so I can duplicolor other all my stuff

Hi Chris, (I hope I recalled your name proper) I would not use it on plastic as it would eat it, there is special paint remover for plastic may be a sister product of Air Craft Remover, check your local Pep Boys or any other parts house. Also do NOT use Acetone, that will eat them also.

You could try Denatured Alcohol, I think that might could work, but be careful with it.

Gregski 03-15-2015 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg64 (Post 7091824)
Which do you want first? The good news or the bad news? :lol:

The good news: the fender looks great compared to what came off.

The bad news: the door now looks a little worse then it did before.

True, the doors may get a fresh coat when I remove them to rehang em, the door gaps are redunculous right now, definitely not SEMA approved, LOL

SEMA - Someone Else Made this Automobile, LOL, I just came up with that, can you think of some good ones

cnorth 03-15-2015 08:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
thanks man I'll look for that stuff at pepboys gotta find some door clips anyways I don't know what this guy used but yeah anyways

cnorth 03-15-2015 08:27 PM

sorry I got the dreaded sideways pictures from my phone

greg64 03-15-2015 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregski (Post 7091867)
True, the doors may get a fresh coat when I remove them to rehang em, the door gaps are redunculous right now, definitely not SEMA approved, LOL

SEMA - Someone Else Made this Automobile, LOL, I just came up with that, can you think of some good ones

SEMA - spending extreme money amounts

Door gaps? - it's a truck! :lol:

jetmech85 03-15-2015 11:16 PM

We used model airplane fuel (nitromethane) to remove paint from our plastic model cars when I was a kid ('60s). I wonder about brake fluid, I seems to remove paint from everything it splashes on. I doubt the muratic acid would eat the door panels since it is packaged in plastic jugs but don't think it would remove paint either. Keep up the good work.

Chrispbrown36 03-15-2015 11:46 PM

I always try to bag and label everything but somehow almost always manage to forget. I did remember it when I recently refinished an old rifle, but then just a month or so later I somehow forgot to do it when pulling the dash and duct work out of my truck....somehow I ended up getting everything but one piece back in place and luckily the one piece I missed can be done without taking everything else back apart.....someday I will learn.

Gregski 03-16-2015 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrispbrown36 (Post 7092241)
I always try to bag and label everything but somehow almost always manage to forget. [...] but then just a month or so later I somehow forgot to do it when pulling the dash and duct work out of my truck....somehow I ended up getting everything but one piece back in place and luckily the one piece I missed can be done without taking everything else back apart.....someday I will learn.

Yup, I dread dash work, maybe I'm still recovering from that heater core replacement on my brothers '93 Volkswagen Corrado VR6, it made the space shuttle cockpit look like an etch a sketch ~ member those my pre smart phone brethren?

Chrispbrown36 03-16-2015 12:09 AM

In the same winter the heater core went out on a 2004 Ford Taurus that was my wife's and on my 2001 dodge ram.....I wouldn't touch either one of them. I didn't want to even think about jacking around with those dashboards.....we bundled up for car rides that winter...