The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring Rusty (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645440)

Gregski 03-03-2016 10:17 PM

Re: Restoring Rusty

2 Attachment(s)
that's when he drew blood!!!

FINALLY!!! thought it would never happen, ha ha

Gregski 03-03-2016 10:18 PM

then we ran home to cry to mama

y5mgisi 03-03-2016 11:45 PM

I can't tell you how many times I have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did I cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where I busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

Gregski 03-03-2016 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7508788)
i can't tell you how many times i have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did i cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where i busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

true!

hatzie 03-04-2016 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y5mgisi (Post 7508788)
I can't tell you how many times I have drawn blood and not had a clue as to how it happened. Just working away and then all the sudden stuff starts turning red and your like, wtf?! Did I cut myself somehow? When? On what?

The flip side is there have been a great many times where I busted a knuckle or something and instantly thought, wonder how much blood is going to pour out of this one!

I remember working on the exhaust under a G20 van years ago. I began wondering how and why the transmission was leaking down my shirtsleeve to my elbow when I wasn't under the darn thing.
The answer? It was me leaking red stuff from a pretty nasty gash in my arm that didn't bleed immediately when I bashed it on something sharp :eek:. It wasn't Dexron II.

Gregski 03-05-2016 01:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Day Three of Engine Removal

picked up this Two Ton Load Leveler from Harbor Freight (aka the Cheap Chinese Tool Store) for about $45 bones, its a step above their 3/4 ton yellow one, fingered I am pulling the engine with the boat anchor SM465 Muncie, might as well get this one

man, the Harbor Freightians sure have a sense of humor, they give you the [single use] plastic red handle with a grade 3 bolt for this TWO TON jack, LOL, needless to say we mucked up the threads on that piece of junk on first use, other than the handle, the leveler held up, and no one Got Dead!

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
after disconnecting the drive shaft and the transmission from the cross member, we put the engine hoist and the new leveler to good use

we left the starter on and the oil filter, and maybe if we was to do it again we would have removed these two aparatie to prevent them from catching on the engine mounts

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:06 AM

4 Attachment(s)
and we have Lift Off

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:09 AM

4 Attachment(s)
down boy, good boy!

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
and this Divorce is Final

Gregski 03-05-2016 02:14 AM

5 Attachment(s)
always wanted to git an engine up on this type of engine stand like they do on all them TV shows and tear it down

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
then it was time to commence with The Tear Down ceremonies

first the valve covers and the intake manifold came off, this revealed a decent leak proof set of beads on the Great Wall of China, both in the front and the rear of the block, nice

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Off with his head!

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the lifter extraction proved to be a challenge - had to resort to vice grips and liberal use of PB Blaster to [ahem] persuade them out - fortunately we is replacing them with brand new ones

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
the crank pulley came off next, which allowed us to pull off the harmonic balancer

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
the timing cover was do to come off next, in hind sight, might be more better to remove the oil pan first as the bottom of the timing set cover has a lip that protrudes and overlaps the oil pan, oh well

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
that revealed the timing set, and the chain which had way too much stretchability

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:24 AM

3 Attachment(s)
then I pulled out the camshaft, make sure you remove the fuel pump rod to allow it to slide out

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
pulled the crank gear next

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
removed the water/coolant plugs out of the block on each side, and nothing came out, had to poke in there with a small flat screw driver to get a decent waterfall

Gregski 03-05-2016 03:30 AM

dropped the oil pan, removed the oil filter and the starter and decided to call it a night

The Russian Judge rated the Fun Level at 9 for the evening, sighting that it was exhilarating yet messy

Jake Wade 03-05-2016 08:07 AM

I know you mentioned you were doing a top end job, Do you plan to tear it down further?

May need cam bearings and I would look at the crank bearings.

enaberif 03-05-2016 10:41 AM

someone has done a timing chain change on that motor. gm used nylon coated upper gears for many years which ended up cracking.

my original chain was way more stretched than yours.

y5mgisi 03-05-2016 11:21 AM

Fun! Only a level 9?! Lol that's a good feeling!

Gregski 03-05-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Wade (Post 7510204)
I know you mentioned you were doing a top end job, Do you plan to tear it down further?

May need cam bearings and I would look at the crank bearings.

No, I already went further than planned by removing the bell housing, clutch, and fly wheel

I am just going to pretend all that is just good, ha ha