The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   1981_c10 Step-Side (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672726)

1981_c10 09-28-2020 03:24 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 8814829)
Lots of progress, looks good. You mentioned a Subaru silver and I actually thought that it's too bad there wasn't a stock silver you could use instead of an offshore color. That's how rare, they are, I don't recall ever seeing a silver one. I was also thinking today that I've had two vehicles repainted in a a color different than original. If I was doing them over, I would paint them the original color. Also, for what it's worth, I think stripes and stuff like that can be cool if done well, but I would recommend doing them in vinyl. Probably something you can do yourself and save on the painting costs. With mine, I figure when I want to go back to a stock looking rig, all I have to do is warm it up with a hair dryer and peel away.

To be honest, i just have found a stock silver i like. I want one with more metallic than the GM colors offer. Good thoughts on the stripes. I will talk to my painter and get his thoughts. It is a friend of mine so it doesnt impact the cost too much.

1981_c10 09-28-2020 03:25 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Has anyone used POR15 kits to coat the frame? Since my frame is open right now i was going to wire wheel and brush on. I have no experience with the product but the current route i am leaning toward.

Is you have used it to you recommend gloss or semi to closest match stock? I am leaning semi.

daddyjeep 09-29-2020 11:38 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8815039)
Has anyone used POR15 kits to coat the frame? Since my frame is open right now i was going to wire wheel and brush on. I have no experience with the product but the current route i am leaning toward.

Is you have used it to you recommend gloss or semi to closest match stock? I am leaning semi.

I have used it a couple times. Make sure that you use their prep and follow the directions, especially the part about wearing gloves. This crap will not come off your skin for a couple weeks. I used in on my Jeep frame and didn't use their prep and it is peeling off. My frame was mostly bare metal and it doesn't bond to that without their prep. My truck frame was just wire wheeled so it did have some light surface rust and it is working much better. Remember that this stuff needs topcoated so the gloss and color of that is up to you. I have found that gloss is easier to keep clean.

1981_c10 09-29-2020 11:45 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by daddyjeep (Post 8815476)
I have used it a couple times. Make sure that you use their prep and follow the directions, especially the part about wearing gloves. This crap will not come off your skin for a couple weeks. I used in on my Jeep frame and didn't use their prep and it is peeling off. My frame was mostly bare metal and it doesn't bond to that without their prep. My truck frame was just wire wheeled so it did have some light surface rust and it is working much better. Remember that this stuff needs topcoated so the gloss and color of that is up to you. I have found that gloss is easier to keep clean.

Thanks for the insight!

LT7A 09-30-2020 12:37 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8815039)
Has anyone used POR15 kits to coat the frame? Since my frame is open right now i was going to wire wheel and brush on. I have no experience with the product but the current route i am leaning toward.

Is you have used it to you recommend gloss or semi to closest match stock? I am leaning semi.

Chances are that even with your buddy, you will save some pretty good money if you someday decide you don't want the stripes because you won't have to repaint anything.

I'm a big fan of Rustoleum since it is paint and go. Touch up and go. Although I think you can leave POR15 un-topcoated on your frame, if I understand correctly, it is the UV that affects it and on your frame it should be indirect, any UV that gets to it. That said, I never have used it so others who have left it uncoated could tell you more. It's beyond my budget for $ and time spent, given the location.

Palf70Step 09-30-2020 06:27 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
MY buddy did his 70 with POR and it is holding up good. IT is very touchy and can be a mess. Wear Gloves and a good respirator. I have used on several trucks what I like better is Eastwood's Rust Encapsulater. It seems to do as well as the POR (to me), is easier, less toxic to apply andcan easily be top coated if you want.

As mentioned in my youth up north I have also used Rustoleium and it did OK also. Of the 3, nowadays, I like the Eastwood.

1981_c10 09-30-2020 11:42 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Thanks for all the insight. I think I will look into the eastwood products! I am picking up a power washer from a friend today to start cleaning the frame this weekend.

Palf70Step 09-30-2020 12:07 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Go to the dollar store and get some cheap oven cleaner (3/4 cans) to spray on before you pressure wash it. It really helps clean up the grease and grime.

1981_c10 09-30-2020 02:44 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Great idea, i have 2 cans but could probably use one more.


I took out the after-market radio today...the big cut out in the dash is a bummer. I am wanting to go back to a stock looking radio. Does anyone have any experience in repairing the oversized whole the installers cut. (i am not a welder...)

1981_c10 10-14-2020 10:57 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Small update, i got the rest of the gauges, ac controls etc out of the truck. Only thing in the cab now is the steering column. I had to replace my column a few years ago after some dummies tried to steal my truck and broke my column to pieces. Well, i just noticed the plastic part that signals what gear is broke, so i guess i will have to pull the column again to replace that.

I also have been scrapping the glue from the windshield channel. I will try to get some pics.

TKCR 10-28-2020 08:43 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8816001)
Great idea, i have 2 cans but could probably use one more.


I took out the after-market radio today...the big cut out in the dash is a bummer. I am wanting to go back to a stock looking radio. Does anyone have any experience in repairing the oversized whole the installers cut. (i am not a welder...)

Just read them your build thread. I really like what you have done so far. And looking at your interior, your door panels, itís definitely CarmineRed.
Also for the radio repair, you can get a radio repair patch in. That way you can go back to a stock radio. Check out the parts section, they are on there every now & then. I see them on eBay also. Looking forward to seeing more of the work your doing on the stepside. :metal:

1981_c10 10-30-2020 12:27 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Small update, been sanding out the windshield adhesive and going to be prepping the interior for paint soon. Also been working through interior items and new parts needed.

Taking to the painter 11/17!!

1981_c10 11-18-2020 05:22 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Update, been gathering parts. Got some seat belts from a donor truck. some are good some are bad. Still looking for one should belt and two female belts in carmine red.

Also picked up two carmine red headliners and all the trim parts. Mine didnt come with a headliner so will be adding.

TKCR 11-18-2020 07:29 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8837594)
Update, been gathering parts. Got some seat belts from a donor truck. some are good some are bad. Still looking for one should belt and two female belts in carmine red.

Also picked up two carmine red headliners and all the trim parts. Mine didnt come with a headliner so will be adding.

Show us your goodies youíve been gathering up.

1981_c10 11-19-2020 09:42 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
1 Attachment(s)
here is the first headliner parts and leather part for behind the seat. I need to take pictures of what i got yesterday. I the headliner parts i got yesterday are in a bit better shape and true carmine red.

TKCR 11-19-2020 02:15 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8837865)
here is the first headliner parts and leather part for behind the seat. I need to take pictures of what i got yesterday. I the headliner parts i got yesterday are in a bit better shape and true carmine red.

That leather piece for behind the seat, thatís cool!

1981_c10 11-19-2020 04:21 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8837977)
That leather piece for behind the seat, thatís cool!

I am excited for it. The guy has a brown one too if anyone needs it. I am happy to go pick it up and ship.

1981_c10 11-19-2020 04:24 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
1 Attachment(s)
here are the plastic parts from the second headliner i bought. few spots i will have to do repair, but over all better condition than the darker ones. Excited to have these in the truck. I need to order some paint match for the 81-83 carmine red. Saw USA1 sells some. Anyone used them before for interior paints?

TKCR 11-19-2020 06:49 PM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8838041)
here are the plastic parts from the second headliner i bought. few spots i will have to do repair, but over all better condition than the darker ones. Excited to have these in the truck. I need to order some paint match for the 81-83 carmine red. Saw USA1 sells some. Anyone used them before for interior paints?

Thatís the dye I use, from USA1. Been using it for several years now. Make sure you get some SEM Prep and Adhesive Promoter. Hereís some Carmine Parts Iíd have done in the past. But these are 79-80 CarmineRed.

1981_c10 11-20-2020 09:26 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8838124)
Thatís the dye I use, from USA1. Been using it for several years now. Make sure you get some SEM Prep and Adhesive Promoter. Hereís some Carmine Parts Iíd have done in the past. But these are 79-80 CarmineRed.

Those look great! I will be sure to get the prep and promoter! thanks for the tip!

TKCR 11-20-2020 09:42 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8838338)
Those look great! I will be sure to get the prep and promoter! thanks for the tip!

Your Welcome:metal:

1981_c10 12-28-2020 09:23 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
2 Attachment(s)
Good news and bad news...

Bad: painter got behind so my truck didnt get touched in Dec as planned.

Good: bed is going to him this friday then the rest of the truck Jan 12th!

I also was able to get the first coat of the frame paint on. See the pics and what i used. Over all really happy with the product so far especially coming from a can. Bought the stuff from Summit.

1981_c10 12-28-2020 09:27 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8838339)
Your Welcome:metal:

TKCR,

I finally got to open my seatbelts for christmas! They turned out awesome! I appreciate your work and time making them look great. For sure going to be one of those subtle touches that makes the truck look GREAT!

TKCR 12-28-2020 10:22 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8855497)
TKCR,

I finally got to open my seatbelts for christmas! They turned out awesome! I appreciate your work and time making them look great. For sure going to be one of those subtle touches that makes the truck look GREAT!

Happy to hear you like them! Hope you had a Merry Christmas.
Your frame turned out awesome.

calvin78612 12-30-2020 10:26 AM

Re: 1981_c10 Step-Side
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1981_c10 (Post 8838038)
I am excited for it. The guy has a brown one too if anyone needs it. I am happy to go pick it up and ship.

I might be interested in the brown one if the guy still has it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2020 67-72chevytrucks.com