The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   2WD 3/4t 2-piece front friveshaft removal (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=656660)

davepl 01-16-2015 07:05 PM

2WD 3/4t 2-piece front friveshaft removal

My yoke is leaking through that little center button, so I need to pull the front driveshaft to get it out (I guess I could press the caps out in place, but I'd rather do that as bench work).

It's not immediately obvious how to get it out, and searching here yielded pretty much exclusively 4x4 results.

What comes out in what order? If I have to remove the carrier bearing housing do I drop the rear driveshaft first?

This is all just to get at something hidden by the u-joint, so I'm trying to avoid tearing the whole drivetrain apart...

The shop manual (which refers to it as a prop shaft) says that there may be u-bolts (nope) or you may have to "remove u-joints as described later in this chapter". So that's kind of useless.

Mike C 01-16-2015 08:04 PM

Re: 2WD 3/4t 2-piece front friveshaft removal

Mark driveshaft where rear engages front so you can put back in same orientation.

Put oil drain under output of trans.

Remove rear driveshaft section. Unbolt carrier bearing. Pull carrier bearing assembly and front portion of driveshaft.

harpo231 01-17-2015 10:15 AM

Yes ,,what he said ... drop backend of rear shaft from pinion flange and unbolt carrier it'll slide right out

davepl 01-17-2015 04:21 PM

It's on a lift and I don't have one of those "tall on a stand" catch trays yet. I guess I could lower it, but:

- In the past I've stuck a different yoke in it the moment I pull the other one out, so you don't lose much. Sadly they only spare on I have is a TH400 that is larger than the 200/350/glide style.

Any other tricks to keeping the fluid in the trans (other than tipping the truck, which I can't do)?

Custom/Ten 01-17-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7007510)
It's on a lift and I don't have one of those "tall on a stand" catch trays yet. I guess I could lower it, but:

- In the past I've stuck a different yoke in it the moment I pull the other one out, so you don't lose much. Sadly they only spare on I have is a TH400 that is larger than the 200/350/glide style.

Any other tricks to keeping the fluid in the trans (other than tipping the truck, which I can't do)?

I saw on Stacy David's gears he put a disposable glove over the end and then duck taped it on. Spilled about an ounce. Hmm, just hAd a thought, I would use an extra glove or two just in case, and some carb cleaner wherever you gonna put the tape so it doesent slide off.