The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What should I do for a gas tank?? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=675967)

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-07-2015 07:17 PM

What should I do for a gas tank??

Hello again, everyone! So, basically, here's my situation: the truck has the stock tank behind the seat, 44 years old now, and the only thing holding fuel in is 20-year-old JB Weld. I want to move it. Here's where I start getting options. I can either,

A) spend the money and buy a relocation kit,

B) buy a Blazer tank and modify a few things myself to make it work,

C) get a fuel cell or use something as a cell (keg, etc),

D) get another stock tank and locate it in the front of the bed, and build a sheetmetal shroud around it. This is the option I'm considering the most, seeing as I have a guy that will give me a like-new one for free, I just have to pay shipping.

What do you guys think I should do? Thoughts, suggestions, ideas are all welcome!

Jurassic-1 07-07-2015 09:42 PM

Re: What should I do for a gas tank??

Why not just buy a good used one or even a new reproduction tank.

Mmorgan32 07-07-2015 09:45 PM

I've heard a lot of people do a 69 Camaro or nova tank and have the flip down license plate for the filler

volksworld 07-07-2015 11:08 PM

i'm too lazy to go back down to the shop right now to take measurements, but i swear the stock one is too tall to stand up in the front of the bed...so just put it back in the stock location and save time and money...

Boog 07-08-2015 12:46 PM

One slick idea i saw was a regular cross bed tool box with a gas tank inside off a small car like a pontiac sunbird. this was on a fleetside bed. That truck had a tbi engine so the fuel tank with OE pump and lines was just what he needed.

19673ontree 07-08-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksworld (Post 7233981)
i'm too lazy to go back down to the shop right now to take measurements, but i swear the stock one is too tall to stand up in the front of the bed...so just put it back in the stock location and save time and money...

Thats funny as can be !

DeadheadNM 07-08-2015 01:17 PM

Replace the stock tank in the stock location and drive for another 40 years :)

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-08-2015 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic-1 (Post 7233893)
Why not just buy a good used one or even a new reproduction tank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by volksworld (Post 7233981)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 7234501)
Replace the stock tank in the stock location and drive for another 40 years :)

I would love it if it was that simple... but I need the tank out of the cab, for the space and because I would just feel better with it out of there... My future wife and children will be riding in it, and I would feel a whole lot better with the tank of fuel not sitting behind them. Surely you all know what I mean.

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-08-2015 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 7234476)
One slick idea i saw was a regular cross bed tool box with a gas tank inside off a small car like a pontiac sunbird. this was on a fleetside bed. That truck had a tbi engine so the fuel tank with OE pump and lines was just what he needed.

That's an idea... I have a toolbox, but it's just that, a box, it doesn't on the bedsides... it still might work, though... maybe I can do that and build a shroud around it next to the box... hmm...

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-08-2015 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mmorgan32 (Post 7233900)
I've heard a lot of people do a 69 Camaro or nova tank and have the flip down license plate for the filler

I've seen that too, but I don't have a stock rear bumper, I have one that my great granddad made for it when my grandpa bought it new, solid steel, and I don't plan on getting rid of it. It's a great idea, though.

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-08-2015 03:33 PM

Would a tank for a '70 Chevelle fit between the frame rails?

DeadheadNM 07-08-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71ChevySS(straight6) (Post 7234592)
I would love it if it was that simple... but I need the tank out of the cab, for the space and because I would just feel better with it out of there... My future wife and children will be riding in it, and I would feel a whole lot better with the tank of fuel not sitting behind them. Surely you all know what I mean.

I understand the concern and investigated relocation options myself when the K20 was rebuilt. The stock tank location is actually quite safe. There is no more leg room to be had but without the cab tank you will have more storage space.

BrianG 07-08-2015 09:14 PM

you have not had any catastrophe with the tank where its been for 40+ years, so why do you think you would in the future? you say you can get it for almost nothing. I'd say replace it and be done with it.

71ChevySS(straight6) 07-08-2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianG (Post 7235010)
you have not had any catastrophe with the tank where its been for 40+ years, so why do you think you would in the future? you say you can get it for almost nothing. I'd say replace it and be done with it.

True, but I would really really like to have the extra space behind the seat.

I think I've just decided to spend the money (who needs to pay for college, right?) and get the kit. Thanks for all your help, guys!