The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   72 standard vs deluxe door panels (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=826185)

402Bowtie 09-24-2021 01:12 PM

72 standard vs deluxe door panels

3 Attachment(s)
Was having a discussion with a friend...I had in mind that every Cheyenne or Cheyenne Super truck (both have woodgrain door panels) would have from the factory the deluxe-style door panel that has the scroll imprinted across the top (and behind the woodgrain). Is that true?

If there was Cheyenne/Cheyenne Super truck that had standard (no scroll) 72 door panels with trim retainer holes, is that probably a non-factory modification?

Pics of door panels attached.

Chevyland 09-24-2021 10:35 PM

Re: 72 standard vs deluxe door panels

Every Cheyenne or Super I know of had deluxe scroll panels
Behind the woodgrain

jocko 09-25-2021 12:45 AM

It's a good question - I think you hit the nail on the head with the common trim retainer holes - so, yes, I would assume that if you found base/Custom trim level panels behind woodgrain that it would be a homemade job. An additional tell-tale sign would likely be some kinda sloppy (or at least "not perfect") trim retainer holes.

Dieselwrencher 09-25-2021 05:39 AM

Even the Custom Deluxe trucks got the scroll panels so yeah, I doubt a Cheyenne Super would have had the standard panels because I don't think GM ever punched the trim holes in them.

special-K 09-25-2021 06:45 AM

The base door panels were only used on Custom (base) trucks. But you can fit the Cheyenne & Cheyenne Super inserts and retainers onto base doors panels. Seems like a better idea GM should have done. I've always felt it's a shame on Cheyennes to cover up the matching (to the seat) western scroll on the door panels with the woodgrain that is found nowhere else in the interior. I remove it on mine. And I have put the woodgrain/stainless on base panels. You can't tell the difference when installed.

Bones72Super 09-25-2021 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8975913)
The base door panels were only used on Custom (base) trucks. But you can fit the Cheyenne & Cheyenne Super inserts and retainers onto base doors panels. Seems like a better idea GM should have done. I've always felt it's a shame on Cheyennes to cover up the matching (to the seat) western scroll on the door panels with the woodgrain that is found nowhere else in the interior. I remove it on mine. And I have put the woodgrain/stainless on base panels. You can't tell the difference when installed.

Thanks for the heads up Tim, now that gives me even more options trying to find a decent set of parchment door panels

best view 09-25-2021 08:03 AM

Makes sense to put them on custom

special-K 09-26-2021 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bones72Super (Post 8975923)
Thanks for the heads up Tim, now that gives me even more options trying to find a decent set of parchment door panels

Yep, it sure does. The thought hit me one day and sure 'nuff it works