The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   MOOG Disapointment (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=823004)

67C10Step 06-22-2021 08:29 AM

MOOG Disapointment

So, last fall/winter I rebuilt my entire front suspension, steering, and converted to power disc brakes on the front. Another thread on here a week or so ago got me to looking at everything and I discovered that one of the boots on my tie rods is completely split and the others are already cracked. WTH? The truck literally has maybe three miles on it since this was all installed as it is still not technically road ready, but close.

Anybody got recommendations for replacement tie rod boots? I'm a little aggravated to be going back and pulling some of this apart.

weq92f 06-22-2021 09:02 AM

Re: MOOG Disapointment

That's odd. Usually those boots are nice thick rubber and arrive in pristine condition. Maybe try contacting Moog with your complaint? They may well send you new boots free of charge to help you out!

https://www.moogparts.com/contact.html

-klb

Boog 06-22-2021 10:01 AM

That is surprising. I have long held AC Delco and Moog as being the best GM parts out there. Manufacturers have lowered their products quality in favor of profit.

68 P.O.S. 06-22-2021 10:08 AM

I had a similar issue with Moog boots as well. I ended up getting replacement boots for the tie-rods and ball joints from Prothane.

Boog 06-22-2021 10:31 AM

How do the Prothane products compare to Moog? How long have you had them on?

68 P.O.S. 06-22-2021 10:46 AM

I haven't installed them yet as I'm in the middle of slowly rebuilding the front end and engine/trans, so everything is apart. The Prothane boots are all poly and seem well made. I also found good reviews for them. I test fit the ball joint boots and they fit well. The tie-rod ends I'm not sure of yet. I bought the motor/trans mounts also after having the rubber ones completely fail on me while driving.

67C10Step 06-22-2021 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. (Post 8935289)
I had a similar issue with Moog boots as well. I ended up getting replacement boots for the tie-rods and ball joints from Prothane.

This is what I am thinking about doing as well. I've only heard good feedback from Prothane parts and I'd prefer to only have to re-do this once.

54blackhornet 06-22-2021 10:59 AM

Poor rubber quality is a big problem across the entire spectrum of the classic car industry.

SCOTI 06-22-2021 01:43 PM

Were the parts from the 'Problem Solver' line or their standard replacement stuff? There's a difference in warranty between the 2 so if they're the Problem Solver line it's worth inquiring.

67C10Step 06-22-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8935381)
Were the parts from the 'Problem Solver' line or their standard replacement stuff? There's a difference in warranty between the 2 so if they're the Problem Solver line it's worth inquiring.

I honestly do not remember but will go back through my records to see. Digging back through my photos I am not thinking the install was about September last year.

SCOTI 06-22-2021 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8935391)
I honestly do not remember but will go back through my records to see. Digging back through my photos I am not thinking the install was about September last year.

The standard series parts have a limited warranty & I believe they have an 'R/K' in the part number description where the 'Problem Solver' line has that in the part ID/descriptions.

68 P.O.S. 06-22-2021 02:32 PM

My boot issues were from the Problem Solver line.

SCOTI 06-22-2021 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. (Post 8935404)
My boot issues were from the Problem Solver line.

Did you reach out about the issue?

69Tom 06-22-2021 02:45 PM

This is disturbing to hear. I too am going to be pissed if I have to pull my front end apart.

67C10Step 06-22-2021 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8935402)
The standard series parts have a limited warranty & I believe they have an 'R/K' in the part number description where the 'Problem Solver' line has that in the part ID/descriptions.

Went and checked my records. Mine were the Problem Solver series of parts. I will take some photos and send them to MOOG just to see what response I get.

Grumpy old man 06-22-2021 03:35 PM

This might help . I'll have to check mine also . :chevy:

https://www.moogparts.com/parts/susp...SAAEgK0KvD_BwE

52napco 06-22-2021 03:40 PM

The problem is MADE IN CHINA...you are paying for the name

67C10Step 06-22-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 52napco (Post 8935432)
The problem is MADE IN CHINA...you are paying for the name

Not to be obtuse but these are the sort of comments online that drive me nuts. Can you provide some alternatives to Moog that you have used and would recommend? This is, for the most part, a helpful community of people with a common interest. I’ve gotten a lot of help on this board and this thread should be helpful to some as that is the reason I started it.

72c20customcamper 06-22-2021 04:52 PM

I've been disappointed with pretty much all of them . My case was on my 3500 CTD replaced the front ball joints with moogs . Shot in less than 25k miles replaced with Dynatracs expensive yes but they have 50k on them now with no sign of play .

I know it's not representative of our chevys but it says volumes of the quality of replacement parts.

SCOTI 06-22-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 8935453)
Not to be obtuse but these are the sort of comments online that drive me nuts. Can you provide some alternatives to Moog that you have used and would recommend? This is, for the most part, a helpful community of people with a common interest. I’ve gotten a lot of help on this board and this thread should be helpful to some as that is the reason I started it.

x2

jimijam00 06-22-2021 10:54 PM

Buy the GM stuff...I *think* it is still made in Mexico. Because we all know that the Made in Mexico label means quality.

Seriously, aftermarket parts ARE a crap shoot. I've used moog problem solvers on at least 6 vehicles w/o one problem. I know many that have used them also and never a problem. It's a crap shoot, man.

Barnfind46 06-23-2021 06:45 AM

My NAPA guy said Moog was sold and is made overseas now. Not sure this is true though. Getting hard to get quality parts these days. The last two times I had my truck leave me stranded was because of new replacement parts. Both were ignition parts but I am currently building a new rolling chassis and I will be upset if I have to break it all down again because of a split boot.

SCOTI 06-23-2021 09:33 AM

No disrespect to the guys that are upset but we're talking about suspension pieces (TRE's; BJ's; Pitman; Idler). At least they're externally accessible. It's not like you'd have to disassemble the entire truck to access the part like a failed piece on a lifter inside the motor.

We all agree that one shouldn't have to worry about a boot/seal failing but it's also not the end of the world. Keep grease in it until you can service it @ your convenience. Try your luck w/the poly style boot/cover. I've had those split as well (Prothane brand) so no guarantees there.

I'll take a failed cover seal & a still working/functioning pivot joint vs an intact seal & a failed joint.

StingRay 06-23-2021 09:41 AM

I had the same thing happen to me with Moog parts 25 years ago. It's certainly not new. I reached out to Moog and they sent a box with half a dozen in it. Within 3 years I'd emptied the box and ended up buying some urethane ones. Moog could source better boots but don't. Pretty sad really.

72c20customcamper 06-23-2021 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8935713)
No disrespect to the guys that are upset but we're talking about suspension pieces (TRE's; BJ's; Pitman; Idler). At least they're externally accessible. It's not like you'd have to disassemble the entire truck to access the part like a failed piece on a lifter inside the motor.

We all agree that one shouldn't have to worry about a boot/seal failing but it's also not the end of the world. Keep grease in it until you can service it @ your convenience. Try your luck w/the poly style boot/cover. I've had those split as well (Prothane brand) so no guarantees there.

I'll take a failed cover seal & a still working/functioning pivot joint vs an intact seal & a failed joint.

Well if they were a few years old on a vehicle being used I would get your point but the op stated the truck isnt on the road and maybe has three miles on it. Almost like taking it out of the box and its cracked not acceptable